IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

Looks like not too much longer before people will be assembling their own 1088XEL, and be looking to flash the 3 PIC chips required by the build. So to make that possible I'll be uploading the PIC firmware files to my website later today in a single zipped package at: http://ataribits.weebly.com/1088xel.html

The Mouse firmware is still what I consider beta, but that doesn't mean it is unreliable and/or not usable, but simply that I have definite plans to enhance some features such as add resolution settings.

The GTIA V-Gate code is very solid.

The TK-II keyboard code has had extensive changes, some of which are very 1088XEL specific, but should also be usable in non-XEL systems. However because there has been at least one non-XEL PAL system reported as a bit flakey with this version, I will leave the original V1.8 TK-II code in the usual download page (http://ataribits.weebly.com/design.html). The way to tell them apart is to press ALT+F1 to see what version is displayed, with V2.0 being the new XEL specific version. The symptom of the problem as reported for the non-XEL system was dropped key presses. This does not afflict the XEL's, and I have run numerous tests to confirm. It also might not be a problem on all non-XEL PAL systems, but dependent upon other factors.

Firmware files for each chip are packaged in individual folders, having flashing ATR versions for programming using the JOY2PIC programmer, as well as the hex file for use by 3rd party programmers such as the PICkit series by Microchip. Source files will also be found, some in FlowCode and some in assembly dependent upon which tool was used for development. there is a new JOY2PIC-STIK in the works that will make the programming task even easier.

---------

On the U1MB BIOS, a new XEL specific version is nearing it's conclusion. Flashjazzcat will likely be hosting this update on his website, but I'll also post a link to get the download from the 1088XEL page on my site when Jon has released the code.

- Michael

• Like 7

Looks like not too much longer before people will be assembling their own 1088XEL, and be looking to flash the 3 PIC chips required by the build.

To that end, for those of us with little (or, er, none!) experiencing flashing PIC chips, will someone be able to (a) offer to do it for people if they pay to send the chips round-trip? Or (b), give some instructions and make a how-to thread about it, listing what tools/devices are necessary, etc?

Thanks. Got a bit of a vested interests in this stuff now, I guess. :P

post-30400-0-50798000-1509492130_thumb.jpeg

(Thanks, MacRorie!!!)

• Like 4

To that end, for those of us with little (or, er, none!) experiencing flashing PIC chips, will someone be able to (a) offer to do it for people if they pay to send the chips round-trip? Or (b), give some instructions and make a how-to thread about it, listing what tools/devices are necessary, etc?

attachicon.gif7B1D7B25-0CEA-4068-97E7-FB8020147BB6.jpeg

(Thanks, MacRorie!!!)

I'll be posting a pdf/video on my site and Mytekcontrols plans to mirror it on his on using Microchip's free dl MPLAB software and a 3rd party cloned PICKit3 clone programmer. Should be up in a few days. :)

• Like 4

attachicon.gif7B1D7B25-0CEA-4068-97E7-FB8020147BB6.jpeg

(Thanks, MacRorie!!!)

Dropcheck developed some boards that will make it VERY easy for people to flash their own PIC chips. She gave me the gerbers and I *just* sent in the order. I would guess 1.5 weeks. On a related note, I have contracted some bug/virus/hostile alien lifespore that has taken me OUT. I have two words for you: "switch hitting." It will delay things a bit. I will try to keep on top of things, just know that between that, my job (semester is ALMOST over), and the other projects, I may be a bit delayed. DO NOT PANIC! (here's a towel!)

I now have a TL886CS if anyone needs chips flashed. Had to get one to un-brick my U1MB.

Hopefully they've added some more recent PIC devices to it's roster. I know in the past it couldn't flash the TK-II or Mouse chip.

For the 1088XEL...

1 each PIC12F1571 (V-Gate)

2 each PIC16F1847 (TK-II and Mousetari)

- Michael

Good grief, I'd be interested in 2 of these, in as fully-assembled and complete and closely-functioning as possible. The Realan case or the 3D printed case, although I'm not sure what the 3D printed case looks like. I just wanted to register some interest, to be added to the total.

Thank you very much. More tragedy has kept me from logging in as often as I like, and I'm the last person on the Earth to not have an actual "smart" phone, so I can't check email (nor log into AtariAge) until I return to my physical PC. Very backward!!!

Good grief, I'd be interested in 2 of these, in as fully-assembled and complete and closely-functioning as possible. The Realan case or the 3D printed case, although I'm not sure what the 3D printed case looks like. I just wanted to register some interest, to be added to the total.

Thank you very much. More tragedy has kept me from logging in as often as I like, and I'm the last person on the Earth to not have an actual "smart" phone, so I can't check email (nor log into AtariAge) until I return to my physical PC. Very backward!!!

Correction you are the 2nd to the last person without a smart phone, or in my case not even a non-smart phone. Although I do have a couple of tablets, but they require wifi (no 3G or 4G connection on those). I like the freedom of not being tethered, and bothered with every little stupid thing. And then the whole texting thing seems so odd to me that people feel like they always need to give an instant response, so you see them sending multiple texts within a matter of a few minutes, whereas the whole thing would be so much easier if you just talked to the other person instead.

- Michael

• Like 2

Quick news flash... I kind of messed up with the last upload of the BOM, and left off the assembly tips page. I'll be fixing this in the morning and re-upload to my website (in my signature).

Sorry about that? I just need to remember to combine that page with the BOM whenever I make any changes (they're generated from two different programs). As for changes, I'm just adding alternates for some parts that are backordered. Always nice to have more than one choice.

- Michael

• Like 1

Ok for everyone building either a 1088XEL and/or the XEL-CF-][ please revisit this page on my website to get the latest BOM's (dated: 11-2-2017) for each board. I have added some assembly notes and a diagram within the BOM to assist in placement of the individual components.

- Michael

• Like 5

Flashjazzcat's part II of 1088XEL assembly:

Drats!!! I missed it when it was live. Watching it now :)

"Hey look over here, Q2 is in the upper left PSU section next to Q1, and Q7 and Q8 are on the opposite corner next to the master crystal" (If only I had been online during the live transmission :grin: ).

The missing R27 resistor = 680 ohm (did I accidentally give Jon two 6.8K's instead :? ).

Crystal X1 was intended to be 'pluggable' via a 3 pin piece of an IC socket. Whereas crystal X2 will be soldered in place along with the associated PAL color burst circuit even in NTSC configured boards (it will not interfere with NTSC operation). I've had some trouble with the pluggable aspect of X1 due to how skinny the crystal leads are as compared to an actual IC chip. My best recommendation would be to test fit it in an extra precision machine pin socket for tightness, and if it feels good cut off a 3 pin piece of that and use it as your socket. Some sockets are inherently tighter than others. Another option would be to solder X1 in place if you have no intention of changing video modes.

I'll be placing links for these videos on my website as well.

- Michael

• Like 2

Heh... I was hoping you'd be in chat Michael, but Lenore did a good job of clarifying things at a couple of junctures. I'd spent all afternoon in a bathroom showroom talking about a website and when I got home a house across the street got stormed by a gang of loons so I'd had far too much excitement for one day. I'm wondering if the mic interference was coming from the Police crime scene investigation van parked outside. :) Plus, my back was complaining...

Anyway, I think I subconsciously noticed the legs on R27 were thinner than the rest, which suggests I discovered it was missing weeks ago and grabbed another from my stash.

Not soldering in crystals can certainly result in stability problems. I remember Sloopy tried to use precision sockets for the crystals on the VBXE with some success, but my preference is to solder them in. The eventual solution for VBXE was to hard solder both crystals on the board and use a jumper to select one or the other, although this made the white VBXE boards quite a bit bigger than the originals.

Regarding video links: I've just gone through and added indexed links to various sections in both video descriptions, so those interested solely in - say - transistor placement can skip straight to the section of interest. Hopefully this makes the videos a bit more useful.

• Like 6