IGNORED

OREGON TRAIL for Extended BASIC and updated version for TI BASIC

majestyx

Okay, so, after the fiasco of what happened to my original TI BASIC version of Oregon Trail I had posted here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268340-tho-oregon-trail-for-ti-994/?p=3822181 with... well, I don't know what to say about the multiple versions that did nothing that I could notice to improve or enhance it, as well as versions that won't work on a stock TI... but anyway... and after seeing what could be done by Jim Gerrie on the TRS-80 MC-10: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268340-tho-oregon-trail-for-ti-994/?p=3822550 , I figured I'd redo this in Extended BASIC. Of course my OCD made me decide to tighten up the TI BASIC version as well by fixing a few things I messed up logically as well as implementing some more efficient code thanks to suggestions by other members of the TI community here at AA.

While I personally feel it's nothing to really get excited about (it wasn't a game I ever really played back in the 1980s when I had an Apple //c - I was more interested in Ultima, Wizardry, Bard's Tale and text/graphic adventures), I believe it's a more polished product, at least in the XB version. This was my first program ever in XB and since I wrote a TI BASIC version of it, I figured I'd ease my way into XB by working with something for which I had some familiarity.

So for this version, I made pretty decent use of the DISPLAY/ACCEPT AT commands, implemented a simple ox & wagon graphic similar to what Jim Gerrie did, changed screen color, put in two simple tunes - a "charge" fanfare and a "creepy" four note stinger - as well as putting the instructions back in, made slightly more descriptive events, and added a bit more character that was, and still is, missing from the TI BASIC version.

I did a decent amount of testing, but I surely could have missed something, particularly when it comes to losing or messing up on the trail, as I mainly played to win.

While I was disappointed with what another member here did with my initial version, I still have to thank him for getting me to program it in the first place, and then giving me motivation, albeit not purposely, to create a better version of it. Also, a big thanks to carlsson, chue, and Casey (the 3 Cs - how 'bout that?) for suggestions on improving and optimizing the code, to JamesD for suggesting a look at Jim Gerrie's MC-10 version (as well as other ports he's done for that computer) and Tursi for Classic99. As much as I'd have liked to have used Rich's RXB, I figure I should do baby steps until I'm used to the good ol' standard XB. Plus it's cool to see what I could have done back in the day, if only I had the tools then.

All credit for OREGON TRAIL goes to Dan Rawitsch and Bill Heinemann who developed the very first version of this back in 1971 and MECC for commercializing it. The version I used for reference is the one published in the May/June 1978 issue of Creative Computing, pages 132-139, for the CDC Cyber 70/73-26 in BASIC 3.1: https://archive.org/details/creativecomputing-1978-05 with additional material sourced from David Ahl's Westward Ho 1847 http://www.atariarchives.org/bca/Chapter02_WestwardHo.php

Note that I do not have any TI hardware so this was developed and tested on Classic99 only.

The attached ZIP contains both the Extended BASIC version called OREGONTEB and the newly revised TI BASC version called OREGONTR which can be placed in whatever DSKx folder you'd like in Classic99.

TIOregonTrail.zip

Edited by majestyx
  • Like 4

Just noticed that I forgot to remove a debugging DISPLAY AT I used for timing the shooting routine in the version I uploaded. Fixed in attached download.

EDIT: Didn't realize I could still edit my previous post. I could swear in the past there was a time limit of around an hour to do so. Anyway, either post has the corrected XB version.

TIOregonTrail.zip

Edited by majestyx

So when is this gonna be converted into a FR99/FG99 .BIN? :evil:

I don't remember which thread.. but there was a whole discussion about converting TI Basic programs to .bins on one of the finalgrom threads :) (im sick and my atari age-fu is not great right now, haha)

i commented that once i had a little time to mess with it I'd see if i could convert some of my dad's TI Basic demos to run on my finalgrom- seems like the EB ones did something different where they didn't behave the same as regular Basic.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was a little interested in continue the improvements of the original listing myself, but I've got more important things to do so good thing someone else took up the task and moved to a more comprehensive programming language with actual room for improvements.

Perhaps one day I'll try to port some of the other games I pointed our eager tweenie to, but so far haven't surfaced.

• Like 1

It's well done. I did find an error though, when stopping at a fort if I hit enter without entering a value for items to be purchased it breaks. It should either prompt you again or register no data as $0

Thanks for noticing that. I'm guessing you mean the XB version? While it doesn't stop for me (it gives a warning but re-prompts to input the amount again), I really should have put in validity checking for blank. I've fixed that in both the initial purchase phase (which uses INPUTs) and in the fort routine (which uses ACCEPT ATs). I'll wait a little bit to see if anyone finds any other issues before posting an updated version. Unfortunately there's no room in the TI BASIC version to add this, but the program doesn't stop but gives the WARNING: INPUT ERROR IN line# so that will have to suffice.

Thanks for noticing that. I'm guessing you mean the XB version? While it doesn't stop for me (it gives a warning but re-prompts to input the amount again), I really should have put in validity checking for blank. I've fixed that in both the initial purchase phase (which uses INPUTs) and in the fort routine (which uses ACCEPT ATs). I'll wait a little bit to see if anyone finds any other issues before posting an updated version. Unfortunately there's no room in the TI BASIC version to add this, but the program doesn't stop but gives the WARNING: INPUT ERROR IN line# so that will have to suffice.

Yes, it was the EB version I should have specified.

• 2 weeks later...

Silly me! Looks like I didn't get the memo! :-o ;)

haha. :P

Sorry about the bogus updates, my word processor was set to discard everything but name changes...

I added the first few lines in a different WP.

Perhaps one day I'll try to port some of the other games I pointed our eager tweenie to, but so far haven't surfaced.

Ohhh... that...

I haven't had a lot of time on my hands... (hence my nearly-week-@-a-time-abscesses!)

And the graphics...

It makes my head spin!

Ohhh... and by the way... I have been trying to get The Oregon Trail to work on a modern PC without an emulator...

I did something similar with an old compiler years ago...

just don't remember how :/

• 1 month later...

Well, soon we will have an audio version, loadable on real hardware and select emulators.

Just the cable got sent to my Grandpa instead of me so I will have to wait a week or so.

I will post the audio file after I save it.

See ya soon!

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I LOVE that you're tackling this!

I have enjoyed my plays through thus far.

bwjRMOs.png

eKbrXnb.png

I did find a bug, but you may already be aware of it... When I mis-typed a number into the field during a fort stop, It kicked me out.

mk0hcQA.png

It was a mis-type on my part, but a simple error-check would fix this right up.

Thanks so much for giving this a go. I've thought for quite some time about trying my hand at coding this one in XB as well, but always got sidetracked. I hope you continue your development of this project, and I am happy to see the excellent effort you've put forth. Thanks so much!

• Like 3

I did find a bug, but you may already be aware of it... When I mis-typed a number into the field during a fort stop, It kicked me out.

mk0hcQA.png

It was a mis-type on my part, but a simple error-check would fix this right up.

I am unable to reproduce this with the latest version of the program. Are you using the latest version that I posted here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271162-oregon-trail-for-extended-basic-and-updated-version-for-ti-basic/?p=3872773

Edited by majestyx