IGNORED

Why I decided to auction off my outsized, decades-built collection

The floor is not a storage place.

Oh come on who needs to walk!

I am not ready to sell my collection but I am, we will say cleaning up. I am amazed how much stuff I keep finding in bins I don't need. I have cleared lots of bins out of the garage. I have cleaned up quite a bit from the side of the basement that I made into a playroom. I am finally getting my game room somewhat clean again.

I still have quite a bit to unload and bins to go through and I fully expect in the near future to have a clean game room again lol. I became too much of a hoarder. At one point I had I believe about 60 n64 controllers. I finally forced myself to sell all but 2 for each color.

One of the things I find hard about collecting is the inability to throw stuff out, even when it is broken. That's changing, I have been forcing myself to toss stuff that well is so damaged and nasty it needs tossed.

I have had my floor cleaned up 4-5 times and all I do is unload more bins and fill it up again w/stuff to sell. I totally understand the need to have space. I can't wait till I get all my extra stuff gone. In one way I want to sell all games and just get everdrives and make room for foosball tables and pool tables and such. However I'm too attached and like being surrounded by walls of games.

I have lined my basement w/shelving that only sticks out like 6" so it doesn't appear to take up much space. I have games/systems going to the ceiling in effort to keep space open.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally a date has been set for the auction of my personal collection of hundreds of different videogame and computer systems from all eras and regions, as well as tens of thousands of software items, accessories, books, and other paraphernalia and collectibles (my past descriptions of this here).

Temporary info from the auction house is here: https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=3023450

Final info and postings from the auction house should be available in about 3 – 4 weeks, at which time I’ll post again. Any questions, ask here, and please help spread the word. Thanks!

May 31 at 1PM, Bodnar's Auction Sales

97 Sunfield Ave

Edison, NJ

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally a date has been set for the auction of my personal collection of hundreds of different videogame and computer systems from all eras and regions, as well as tens of thousands of software items, accessories, books, and other paraphernalia and collectibles (my past descriptions of this here).

Temporary info from the auction house is here: https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=3023450

Final info and postings from the auction house should be available in about 3 – 4 weeks, at which time I’ll post again. Any questions, ask here, and please help spread the word. Thanks!

97 Sunfield Ave
Edison, NJ

Did these ebay auctions happen?

97 Sunfield Ave
Edison, NJ

Hmmm...either the special particular items on eBay never materialized, went in a blink or are on a wait and see queue. ?????

What eBay auctions? I never said there would be eBay auctions. There are supposed to be online auctions of select items (around 100) using the system from the link. Once that materializes, I'll obviously let everyone know.

Okay. Thanks. I guess that was an assumption on my part since Bodnars has a link to live auctions on eBay.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, all. There have been some new updates related to the May 31st auction of my massive videogame and computer collection via Bodnar's Auction Sales. This will likely be the last before I do a final visit there prior to the auction date. Here's the link: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/05/04/new-updates-for-the-massive-private-vintage-and-modern-videogame-and-computer-auction-set-for-may-31-2018-in-edison-nj/

Kotaku also did a nice write-up on the collection auction: https://kotaku.com/colossal-vintage-game-collection-35-years-in-the-makin-1825777525

If anyone has any questions, please ask, and, if you're in a generous mood, please help spread the word. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, everyone, the final details for my massive personal vintage and modern videogame and computer auction set for May 31, 2018 in Edison, NJ (online too!), have been posted. Please share if you're able and thanks once again for all the support.

http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/05/25/final-details-for-the-massive-private-vintage-and-modern-videogame-and-computer-auction-set-for-may-31-2018-in-edison-nj-online-too/

• Like 1

Although descriptions are not best, don't forget there are 64 lots from my collection that you can bid online, including TG-16/PC Engine, VideoBrain, APF M1000/IM, Jaguar Pro Controller, MSX2, Neo Geo, etc.! https://bit.ly/2L1L2Wd

Details + live event: https://bit.ly/2LB3KVO

I can obviously provide clarifications for any descriptions that are off or incomplete.

The Bodnar's auction website is a little confusing.

Preview Wednesday May 30, 2018 6:00pm-8:00pm
Preview Sale Day 9:00am
Times below are approximate.
The History of Gaming Sale begins at 3:00pm. Catalog Portion Begins at 7:30pm
I am assuming the Preview is where you can look at the items, but not buy anything. What is Preview Sale Day 9:00am? Is that for the estate sale they are also having the same day? What is the difference between History of Gaming 3:00 PM, and Catalog portion? Is History of Gaming the regular lots, and the Catalog is the 64 items that are being sold online?

The Bodnar's auction website is a little confusing.

Preview Wednesday May 30, 2018 6:00pm-8:00pm
Preview Sale Day 9:00am
Times below are approximate.
The History of Gaming Sale begins at 3:00pm. Catalog Portion Begins at 7:30pm
I am assuming the Preview is where you can look at the items, but not buy anything. What is Preview Sale Day 9:00am? Is that for the estate sale they are also having the same day? What is the difference between History of Gaming 3:00 PM, and Catalog portion? Is History of Gaming the regular lots, and the Catalog is the 64 items that are being sold online?

My apologies, but I don't want to state something wrong about the when and what. I'm not familiar with how everything works either. I do now that they're fielding calls and would be happy to provide any clarifications you or anyone else might need. Thanks.

@Bill once the dust settles (post sale) I'd like to know "how it went"

I mean did they manage to sell as many pieces as you'd hope? How about the price they were able to fetch? Were your expectations met or crushed?

This kind of details.

I practically froze my collecting activities (and other electronics hobbies) once my son was born 2 years ago or so, after that I only got a couple of flash carts (the NeoSD was expensive for sure), the RetroBit Generations (at 20US$ shipped) and this year Super RetroCade and kevtris SuperNT, none of which has anything to do with collecting per se ... hence I avoided even looking at the detailed description of your auction, just the pictures made me wanna cry.

@Bill once the dust settles (post sale) I'd like to know "how it went"

I mean did they manage to sell as many pieces as you'd hope? How about the price they were able to fetch? Were your expectations met or crushed?

This kind of details.

I practically froze my collecting activities (and other electronics hobbies) once my son was born 2 years ago or so, after that I only got a couple of flash carts (the NeoSD was expensive for sure), the RetroBit Generations (at 20US$ shipped) and this year Super RetroCade and kevtris SuperNT, none of which has anything to do with collecting per se ... hence I avoided even looking at the detailed description of your auction, just the pictures made me wanna cry.

I'll try to remember to do a post mortem of sorts.

Congrats on the growing family. It definitely is one of the many, albeit wonderful, time sinks that take away from hobby stuff.

Wow. I knew you had a big collection, but scrolling through the auction lot pictures it seemed it would never end. I couldn't imagine having to sell all that, it would be a full time job.

I'm also going to send the link to my wife. "See? I barely have any stuff!" :)

Good luck with the auction!

• Like 1

Wow. I knew you had a big collection, but scrolling through the auction lot pictures it seemed it would never end. I couldn't imagine having to sell all that, it would be a full time job.

I'm also going to send the link to my wife. "See? I barely have any stuff!" :)

Good luck with the auction!

Thanks. Yeah, I was rarely able to convey how much stuff there really was. Frankly, even those pictures don't do it full justice, especially since they didn't do a perfect job with grouping things.

So how does this all work then? Is it just like ebay where you register to bid? Also do the auctions all END today at 7:00 or is that when they start? I'm kind of confused here to be honest.

EDIT: Ok so it looks like there are some items you can bid on online like a regular ebay auction and some that are going to be auctioned off in person. I think I've got it now.

So how does this all work then? Is it just like ebay where you register to bid? Also do the auctions all END today at 7:00 or is that when they start? I'm kind of confused here to be honest.

EDIT: Ok so it looks like there are some items you can bid on online like a regular ebay auction and some that are going to be auctioned off in person. I think I've got it now.

Yes, the online portion, which is only a small 64 lots, runs for a few more hours: https://connect.invaluable.com/bodnar/

The live portion, which is the bulk of the stuff, starts at 3PM and runs until at least midnight tonight. That allows for absentee bidding and shipping: https://www.bodnarsauction.com/may-31-gaming-collection

They should also have live streaming video around 3 on their Facebook page.

I've managed to register to bid (got my eye on a couple of items) but I fear international shipping might break the bank. Their website offers little information, although I was able to register as being in a foreign country. It's a pity there's not a proper FAQ...I'll be watching at the very least. ;)

I'm confused that the 64 pre-auction lots (which runs out in a few minutes) are up on the live online auction...weird. Edit: I think I understand what's up now ;)

I do hope it goes well :)

Edited by skip

80 Dollars for a Tatung Einstein 256! Wow the people who can make it to the Auction are getting things for a steal!

I imagine some of this will quickly turn up on eBay. Wish I could have been there.

Yep, as expected, some stuff was incredibly disappointing while other stuff went for more than expected. It seems that the crowd is more into software than hardware.

• Like 1