IGNORED

Spartan: Ataribox meets Dreamcast 2

godslabrat

I watched a long discussion on this...and I think it's another vapor. No solid info (that I've seen) indicates Sega would have any interest whatsoever in being a part of this. So what we've got are a bunch of (online) signatures, and a PC of sorts that they want to mass produce and sell with Sega's name on it, Open source.

Snore.

Now if I hear that Sega suddenly develops an interest in making hardware, entering the market...working on a great Saturn / Dreamcast emulator...perhaps partnering with Atari just for kicks... I might raise an eyebrow. But my eyebrow is not raised at all by this Spartan nonsense.

You nailed it, Sega Spartan? More like Sega Fartin am I right? ENOUGH ALREADY. No amount of petitions or signatures by Sega Fans is going to make the current Sega take notice or give a shit, they are too busy lending their license and IP's to cheap Chinese handheld and clone manufacturers for quick cashing in on Sega fans nostalgia.

• Like 1

More "proposals" and signatures blah blah blah, what these clowns do not seem to get is SEGA have no interest, IF they do want to re-enter the market I am sure they have their own way of doing so.

From the site - Is the Spartan and Sonic 4K endorsed by Sega? No. The Spartan is not endorsed by Sega. This project serves to build a working prototype to propose to Sega. In turn, entice them to come back to the console hardware market with a current gen console.

Sonic 4K is a fan made tech demo. It will not be sold for commercial purposes.

HERE WE GO AGAIN :lol:

IN OTHER WORDS ONCE AGAIN SOME RABID FANS THINK SEGA IS GOING TO GIVE A CRAP, ENOUGH ALREADY,

This will serve only to ONCE AGAIN stir up all the Sega fanboys and get hopes up only to result in another failed attempt. "Project Dream", Dreamcast II etc, etc, etc, rinse and repeat. AND BEFORE anyone starts with the "Oh but anything is possible! Stop being "negative"! " No, no. there is nothing of substance or anything based in reality here, we keep seeing this, over and over and over for years now, all the "WANTING" and "WISHING" and "DREAMING" are NOT going to do a damn thing to bring a worth while Sega console to market. It is not being "negative" or having a glass half empty viewpoint it is common sense and being rooted in reality.

I LOVE SEGA , I have had about every console and handheld and still have several including Sega CDX, SMS, 3 Dreamcasts etc which I will always love and enjoy. But every time there is a Fan based project, proposal, online petition, rendered images and a lot of vague double talk and saying things like "We are hoping to entice Sega back into the console market" the end result is ALWAYS the same and if you been following and paying any type of attention you damn well know it, every two bit online gaming related article and blogger spin it into some positive great new Sega hope, fans get stirred into a frenzy to the point of getting mad or defensive if you so much as question the validity of it, there is a lot of talk and hype and noise and then.....either excuses or it completely disappears or to reemerge in another form or fashion in 3 month, 6 months, or a year, LATHER RINSE AND REPEAT It has to be said and it is OK, I am quite use to the misinformed and defensive fan backlash proclaiming me quite wrongly to be a HATER or not Party Spoiler or the most ludicrous accusation that I merely hate SEGA (my collection / history would say different :P ) because in the end it is always the same result, I see no reason to expect anything different THIS TIME or THE NEXT TEN TIMES If anything I am a Sega Fan who does not let my love or nostalgia guide me or blind me to what common sense and repeated history has taught me, you do not have to like it but you should at least try to accept it and deal with it. Just wanting this madness to stop. :roll:

• Like 4

Stay away from anything supported by Mr Sega / Sega United / Patrick the idiot who swore that the Sega Orbi* was Sega coming back.

YouTube randomly linked me to some kind of Sega Fan 1987 (or whatever) video where some schmuck sat there for fifteen minutes (!) talking about the possibilities of the Spartan. One second of, "well it's not supported yet by SEGA, but there's a petition" and then ten minutes of jerking off over the supposed stats of the system. I rarely get annoyed enough to leave a comment but I was irritated enough to say something like "shame on you for propagating clickbait nonsense." The fact this or something like this comes up every six months or so really grinds my gears.

*or the Ringedge or the Razor or the Dreamcast 2 or Project Dream or...

• Like 4

A $500 fantasy box from a couple of dreamers? I'm in!

I suppose something like this was inevitable. Outside of Atari, there really is only the one other big name who was formerly big into consoles with a still active IP that can be leveraged to serve fanboy wish fulfillment, Sega. What's funny about this one is these guys actually think what's stopping Sega (or any other company like them) from doing something like this is that they didn't have the idea or plan for it yet.

• Like 5

A $500 fantasy box from a couple of dreamers? I'm in!

I suppose something like this was inevitable. Outside of Atari, there really is only the one other big name who was formerly big into consoles with a still active IP that can be leveraged to serve fanboy wish fulfillment, Sega. What's funny about this one is these guys actually think what's stopping Sega (or any other company like them) from doing something like this is that they didn't have the idea or plan for it yet.

Indeed. The story is that Sega has no idea that they have a small, but irrational fanbase willing to throw money at the dumbest of projects.

The reality is, they're well aware this fanbase exists, but they ironically can't turn it into a profit despite their best efforts.

Is this gonna be like the mid-90s over again where we see a bunch of consoles hit the market, but only 3 survive?

It's already like that.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-onlive.htm#page=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-mojo.htm#page=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-steam.htm#page=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-ouya.htm#page=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-gamestick.htm#page=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg10-funbox.htm#page=reviews

But none of these have a Sega sticker on them, and until one does, we'll have to hear about the latest plan to bring that brand back to the console market.

Id rather see atari try and fail at making a console in this day and age than not do it at all. Its ballsy of them and exciting to watch, even if its a total flop. If anything itll be an interesting footnote for the history of the brand.

And THERE is the issue, "THEM" is not actually "THEM", the Atari of my youth is dead and buried 3 times over ... so it's just the fuji logo now.

• Like 1

And THERE is the issue, "THEM" is not actually "THEM", the Atari of my youth is dead and buried 3 times over ... so it's just the fuji logo now.

Same with SEGA, sadly. Altho' they still put out some games of merit, here and there, the most of the (extremely) disparate factors and people that made SEGA wonderful are long gone. Even if Mr SEGA / SEGA United / whatever he goes by to keep the law at bay could SOMEHOW convince some higher up at SEGA that "hey, a bunch of people in the west want you to put out this crappy PC with your name on it," it still wouldn't have what made SEGA special. Atari "coming back" with a "console" (really just some wacky Linux thing preloaded with some games, but really just nothing as of now) doesn't mean anything; it doesn't have the engineers and programmers and concepts that made Atari vital and alive. People who want Ataribox literally want something with a fuji stamped on the side, and I have no clue what people who want a SEGA equivalent want. A new "box" does not mean that the innovation and new, great games also automatically appear.

the Atari of my youth is dead and buried 3 times over.

I have no problem with this.

Companies change hands all the time. Its business. Atari just happens to be a company thats changed hands more than most. I think thats part of their charm. Tramiel atari was different from atari before then, and todays atari is an interesting clusterfuck of an entity. Its all entertainment.

It's becoming laughable to see claims that something "is back" when there is no attempt at further development on the platform.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening unless it's behind a walled garden of some sort, and then it's a tall order to convince devs to use instead of iOS or Android app stores.

Even free/OSS projects have some trouble attracting a developer community.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1