IGNORED

Who would you trust to repair a TurboDuo?

MegaManFan

The system itself works fine with a Turbo card loaded, but the CD drive doesn't spin up to speed, and I'm not sure if that's something that would need to be repaired or replaced. Either way it's not something I feel capable of doing myself, but I'm leery of shipping this to anyone to fix without hearing from somebody else who has had one fixed with success. There's certainly nobody here locally who I've heard seen or read of doing this kind of work, and I'm not going to take it to a game shop that specializes in repairing PS3s and Xboxes.

I would trust this guy if he is taking work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cU9y41v_g

EDIT:

https://www.game-tech.us/mods/

Not taking on any new work. He just popped in my head when you mentioned who would you trust to work on a TurboDuo cause he is always working on stuff like that in his videos.

Edited by SignGuy81

I had the same issue with my DUO. Could be the result of a variety of issues: 1. Capacitors that need to be replaced; 2. Lens/laser needs to be replaced (cheap and easy); 3. Various pots for the lens/laser need to be adjusted, or 4. A combination of the previous three issues. I believe there might be guys on the pcenginefx.com forums that can do repairs for you.

• Like 1

Members only section you linked. Might just register anyway since I noticed sound loss after a while of playing on mine tonight.

It's literally the best place for Turbo/PCE repairs and the regular service guys have custom parts for things like CD drive gears.

If you don't get approved soon, just pm me the username you signed up with and I'll let the active moderator know you're a real person.

• Like 1

It's literally the best place for Turbo/PCE repairs and the regular service guys have custom parts for things like CD drive gears.

If you don't get approved soon, just pm me the username you signed up with and I'll let the active moderator know you're a real person.

Awesome! I registered last night. If I don't see the second email in a couple days. I'll let you know.

Thanks. I just signed up - same user name as here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I realize it's a whole different animal but when my CD unit on the TG CD stopped working, I just bought a new drive, I think from TZD themselves. The base was fine, just the drive had to change. I bet it's much more involved with an internal drive like on a duo, but I did replace a lens on a big PS2 and that wasn't too hard. I bet you could do it if you could get the right parts, don't underestimate yourself.

Much of it really isn't hard, but if you're scared one easy thing will help. Document everything, like every layer of work.

Whip out that camera or camera phone and once you have the top open, take a picture. Then remove the screws and that layer of stuff. Put them on a piece of paper or some pad in the order they sat in the machine. And keep going from there. Then reference the images and your laid out stuff on the return trip and it'll be a snap other than some odd cable or weird surgery at the part you need to work on.

• Like 1

Do they happen to sell many machines at this pcenginefx forum? I don't want to register without checking to see, but you apparently can't see any of the forum without registering.

I'm quite a ways off from buying one, but I'd like to get an idea of pricing from a reputable source. I also don't want to waste the mod's time approving an account that isn't gonna get used.