IGNORED

Why was Impossible Mission not released on the Atari 8-bits.

bradhig1

Because it sucked ? :D

I remember playing it on my cousin's C64 and being slightly jealous because the animation of the player was very nice. I also liked the voice. Both could have been done on the A8 indeed....but I never got anything further than a couple of levels because the "searching the computers" got really boring IMHO.

They were technically lazy probably. I did some coding but lost some of it, of proof-of-concept that we could render robots as character softsprites with single shared Player overlay and the human using multiple Players.

Possibly a cut down version could have fit into 48K, likely a full version could have fit in 64K maybe with a couple of omissions. The final screen could have been disk loaded anyway.

Really it comes down to the same old lame excuse of piracy, even though it was no worse than on any other system.

• Like 2

Forget about it and just play Hans Kloss, which is an amazing IM/Castle Wolfenstein hybrid and so much better than either of them.

Geez.....I know so very little of all the (Polish) stuff that came out after 1986 or so....

Had to look this up at YouTube.....

https://youtu.be/nl8f5oEETzU

Interesting theme.....if this is set back in the 40's....what are those robot like things ? :)

Also, the animation of the player is not up to par with IM and no scary voice either....

Personally I thought it was over rated and that's not because it was on the C64 and not Atari as I had both. I just found that apart from the speech system and the nice sprites, nice running animation it was boring as hell, all eye and audio candy. Just look what happened to the long apart sequel, IM 2025, bombed without trace..

I think the hype was more a fledgling review system that heard the voice and saw the animation and decided those were the content of a good game before actually looking at how the game played.

As to why it never happened, just as Rybags said, lazy.....Probably looked at the sprite and colours of them differences and said its not possible where in fact it could be but just not as pretty..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Hmmm,

now that I have seen the walkthrough of Hans Kloss, I must say that I find the game too boring. When I played the game in the 90s I did not like it very much and found it too monotonous, allthough I only played some screens of it. Now that I have seen the whole game, I can say that this monotony does not change throughout the game. Therefore I personally (and subjectively!) think that Misja / Mission Shark by Janusz Pelc is much better and also matches Impossible Mission on the A8.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Misja+Atari

• Like 1

IM has really good gameplay. I'd rate it well against any platformer even into the 16-bit era. Even if it has a quarter of the player animation frames it'd still stand up.

The sequel games were turds, just a cash grab really.

What I don't like about the game is the puzzle solving part. For me it's just boring, when I played I'd just try and fetch all the pieces and get to the room with the portal to Elvin's hideout then check what time I got. In a normal game the puzzle solving takes 25-35% of the gameplay time. I'd not mind it so much if it was more like 10% or less.

Or better still, have something else to do. Some sort of final confrontation with some altered game mechanics would have been way better.

• Like 1

Geez.....I know so very little of all the (Polish) stuff that came out after 1986 or so....

Had to look this up at YouTube.....https://youtu.be/nl8f5oEETzU

Interesting theme.....if this is set back in the 40's....what are those robot like things ? :)

Also, the animation of the player is not up to par with IM and no scary voice either....

Hmmm,

now that I have seen the walkthrough of Hans Kloss, I must say that I find the game too boring. When I played the game in the 90s I did not like it very much and found it too monotonous, allthough I only played some screens of it. Now that I have seen the whole game, I can say that this monotony does not change throughout the game. Therefore I personally (and subjectively!) think that Misja / Mission Shark by Janusz Pelc is much better and also matches Impossible Mission on the A8.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Misja+Atari

Ah, yes, the game with the giant radioactive hamburger that floats around on the floor.

Cool music though...

Wow, tough audience! Walk-throughs are nice, but I find that you really need to play the game to appreciate it. There’s simply a lot to enjoy here, from the amusing graphical touches, to the neat level designs, that have made this a favourite. Another port of IM wouldn’t have added anything to the A8 library. :)

Wow, tough audience! Walk-throughs are nice, but I find that you really need to play the game to appreciate it. There’s simply a lot to enjoy here, from the amusing graphical touches, to the neat level designs, that have made this a favourite. Another port of IM wouldn’t have added anything to the A8 library. :)

I'm not saying it's a bad game; I just think the raidioactive hamburger is funny. I really haven't played it much.