IGNORED

NeoGAF shut down?

Here's a text version for those of us would rather read than be read to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/77w9i0/neogaf_mod_accused_of_sexual_assault_four_mods/

Looks like the site might be done; that site always leaned on heavy moderation to keep things on topic. There are plenty of other places for games discussion. It seems like many of the members are going to Reddit, Discord, and Giant Bomb.

• Like 1

Here's a text version for those of us would rather read than be read to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/77w9i0/neogaf_mod_accused_of_sexual_assault_four_mods/

There's a link in that thread to a post of the actual allegation. And I gotta say, I dunno man... if that is in fact the actual accusation, reading that and thinking about the situation, it seems like there could legitimately be another side to the story. It's difficult in this day and age to even really comment beyond that without sounding insensitive, but I'm generally supportive of taking allegations like this at face value and this one just leaves me a little uncomfortable.

I've tried at times to stomach that site and use an account I setup there but between their deranged slant on policy, behavior, and other garbage it was just too much. I guess i'm not surprised something like this was bubbling under the surface. The place almost in a way seemed like it had too much ass kissing by people and power given to it by various types. To see it hung out to die the wastes I can't say I feel sorry about it.

The mods once lifetime banned someone for saying that it was a hive mind & gave the reason for the lifetime ban for pointing out in a hive mind that it was a hive mind.

Enjoying watching it burn. They protected one mod who was into pedophilia, ffs.

The mods once lifetime banned someone for saying that it was a hive mind & gave the reason for the lifetime ban for pointing out in a hive mind that it was a hive mind.

Yeah it seems like you don't even get any warning, chance to repent, or even an explanation of what was unacceptable about what you said. I've seen countless examples of people getting banned instantly and permanently for the mildest criticisms. This post would surely get me banned there.

Yeah it seems like you don't even get any warning, chance to repent, or even an explanation of what was unacceptable about what you said. I've seen countless examples of people getting banned instantly and permanently for the mildest criticisms. This post would surely get me banned there.

I've been on boards like that. Everyone was walking on eggshells because they never knew what was going to get them banned and once you got banned that was it. Needless to say most of those boards aren't around anymore. You need to maintain order, but you can't do it through fear.

If that's true then that's seriously messed up. BTW the reason I heard all the mods walked out was because the site owner grabbed a woman's butt, is that true? While I don't condone sexual harassment of any kind, that seems like a small thing to trigger something like this. I'm wondering if there wasn't something bubbling under the surface all along and this was just the final straw.

• Like 1

I've been on boards like that. Everyone was walking on eggshells because they never knew what was going to get them banned and once you got banned that was it. Needless to say most of those boards aren't around anymore. You need to maintain order, but you can't do it through fear.

If that's true then that's seriously messed up. BTW the reason I heard all the mods walked out was because the site owner grabbed a woman's butt, is that true? While I don't condone sexual harassment of any kind, that seems like a small thing to trigger something like this. I'm wondering if there wasn't something bubbling under the surface all along and this was just the final straw.

It might just be the straw that broke the camels back.

Put it this way.. there's been accusations that the mods were protecting bad behavior by some of the sites users. I think the mods treated it as rumor spread by terrible, vindictive people. So when the rumor turns out to be true.. the people you were fighting turned out to be right, I suppose its kind of demoralizing and not surprising people leave.

• Like 1

Yes, the owner has been accused of grabbing a woman's butt. The site owner has also been accused of allegedly jumping into a shower with a woman who was unwilling to partake of his company as well as coming into possession of a rival's girlfriend's nude photos and distributing them back in 2014.

Of course, he was covered by the protected halo of 'male feminist' for the last few years. Lot of game journos who fell under the same 'feminist ally' group are coming up with harassment/rape allegations the last two years as well.

The stories are quite disturbing to read, honestly. The hypocrisy even more so.

The stories are quite disturbing to read, honestly. The hypocrisy even more so.

The shower one is the one I read. That sounded to me more a case of mixed signals. I am not someone who ever blames the victim but I think we can all agree that there is *some* point where you can't really blame someone for stuff that happens before the girl says no. If a girl were to take her clothes off right in front of you and motion to her crotchal area with her hands, then when you take off your clothes she says "no, I don't want that", I think we could probably agree that that was not sexual harassment on your part. So there's clearly a line somewhere where it's not sexual harassment, but a misunderstanding of some kind at worst.

In that shower story, apparently this girl who had a boyfriend already took the guy on a road trip, they stayed in a hotel room together, got drunk together in that room at night, then she got into the shower and he came in after her. By her own account, he got out as soon as she said no.

If you think about that situation, I am not sure what he was supposed to think, or what *she* would think he was going to think. I mean it was a pretty poor plan all around if what happened wasn't what was supposed to happen. I know what my wife would think if I took off to some city with another girl and stayed in a hotel room with her and got drunk, and she'd be 100% right to think that. I'm pretty sure most people would think the same thing.

I guess the bottom line these days is that everybody just needs to be super up-front and explicit about what they're expecting. If somebody asks you to go on a road trip and share a hotel room like that, you'd better just ask outright what it's for.

• Like 1

The site is back. I haven't visited, but it sounds like a shitshow of angry mob justice. https://kotaku.com/neogaf-reopens-users-revolt-1819790736

Book recommendation; "So You've Been Publicly Shamed," by Jon Ronson

I don't know the truth, and I don't care enough about NeoGAF to get involved, other than to reiterate the obvious: the "gamer" scene can get really toxic. If you ever needed a lesson in why "politics and religion" (same thing to some folks) aren't welcome at AtariAge, look no further than http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1452075

• 1 month later...