IGNORED

Dragon's Lair

Tursi

It's up! The ordered dither was most popular by more than 2:1, so here are four variants of the ordered dither! Using the criteria that matters to you, which of these four looks best? Again, you'll want to watch at YouTube and zoom up to full screen so YouTube doesn't blur out all the dither.

Thanks for participating!

For some scenes, the upper left looked better to me. For other scenes, it was a tossup between the two bottom windows. My opinion was swayed depending on the scene, perhaps due to the contrast/brightness or the colors? I don't know if you are tied to one dithering method throughout the game, if not, maybe you'll find there are some scenes where you prefer one over the other.

For some scenes, the upper left looked better to me. For other scenes, it was a tossup between the two bottom windows. My opinion was swayed depending on the scene, perhaps due to the contrast/brightness or the colors? I don't know if you are tied to one dithering method throughout the game, if not, maybe you'll find there are some scenes where you prefer one over the other.

Because it's so subjective (and takes so long!), I don't intend to change the dither between scenes. We're going for 'best compromise' here. :)

• Like 1

I like the labels! Personally I'm a sucker for the concept of understated so I like the plain Command Module red on black, but Daphne sitting on the TI logo amused me.

Because this is a licensed title I want to be picky about what goes on there - no TI logo (though text explaining it's FOR the Texas Instruments 99/4A is of course okay, or use the HarmlessLion logo instead). It'll be copyright to HarmlessLion (case and spacing like that, or all caps) and needs to note a "Licensed by Digital Leisure, Inc". I think that's all the label needs to say.

I need a box too... if you want the job ;)

• Like 1

I like the labels! Personally I'm a sucker for the concept of understated so I like the plain Command Module red on black, but Daphne sitting on the TI logo amused me.

Because this is a licensed title I want to be picky about what goes on there - no TI logo (though text explaining it's FOR the Texas Instruments 99/4A is of course okay, or use the HarmlessLion logo instead). It'll be copyright to HarmlessLion (case and spacing like that, or all caps) and needs to note a "Licensed by Digital Leisure, Inc". I think that's all the label needs to say.

I need a box too... if you want the job ;)

The labels will be easy enough. The box will be a challenge... I will see what I can do. There are a lot of good graphics available from various sources I will see what I can use. I will PM you for more details.

I also did a little tidy-up on the Daphne label so she is more "hugged up" on the TI logo and now resting her hands on it. I could do one with her hugged up on Harmless Lion :D

post-27864-0-94039900-1509425734_thumb.png

• Like 3

For which video conversion I like best...
The top left is too blocky and has too much dot crawl.
The bottom left seems to be too light on some scenes, the dithering seems a bit blocky, and it has some vertical lines in the dithering.
The bottom right seems to have some vertical lines in the dithering I don't care for, mostly on lighter colors, but it's better than the first two.
The top right seems to avoid the vertical lines but it generates large areas of solid colors rather than dithered colors like the lower right.
Some scenes look better with the top right and others look better with the lower right.
If you could get rid of the vertical lines, the lower right would probably be the best.

*edit*

If you look at the 27 second mark, the lower right version has an obvious pattern in the fire. It's a good example of what is bad about it.

Edited by JamesD

Votes have tapered off, and bottom right wins out. So that's what I'll re-encode to. Interestingly there were no votes at all for the dither that started this round, which was bottom left. I'm kind of glad for that, cause it washed things out too much.

The original was a 4x4 standard ordered dither with a slight color adjust to reduce over brightening. The top left was a test using the 2x2 ordered matrix. It got a little interest but not much.

Both of the right images came from studying the results and applying, as an experiment, a tiny bit of error distribution. Not as much as in the proper dithers (less than half), but as you see it made quite a difference in both color and detail. The top was again the 2x2 matrix, and was actually my favorite, and the bottom was the 4x4 matrix, which was my second favorite anyway.

All the tweaks developed during this testing are in Convert9918 on my page now, and I've also updated the video conversion scripts so it's available to you all as well.