IGNORED

Kinect cancelled?

JamesD

• 6 months later...

So....there is really no point in having Kinect for your Xbox one anymore?

I know the new consoles don't even have a jack for it...

But could you even play the Xbox 360 games that use it, or did ANY xbox one games ever have it as an integrated part of their control scheme?

Or is it really pretty much useless at this point because firmware upgrades have erased it from the OS?

But could you even play the Xbox 360 games that use it, or did ANY xbox one games ever have it as an integrated part of their control scheme?

Or is it really pretty much useless at this point because firmware upgrades have erased it from the OS?

Go here, click on the Add-ons box to sort by Add-ons and scroll down to items with the yellow "K". Optional for those with no border, required for those with a border. Some are XB360 -->XB1 BWC re-releases or co-releases for xbox 360 games. May be a few stray XBLA games not included here. A couple recent re-releases of XB360 -->XB1 kinect BWC re-releases are missing: Disney Adventure and Rush. Kinect 2.0 does not work with XB360, Kinect 1.0 does not work with XB1. XB360 games do not work on XB1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

Ubisoft (in the form of Just Dance sequels) and Virtual Air Guitar are actually still making games for the Kinect 2.0. We'll have to see if there is a Just Dance 2019 for XB1 Kinect, though. Apparently, you can just use your smart phone camera now.

• Like 1

To add to what Swami posted, you can also use it as a webcam for apps that support it (for instance, streaming to Twitch or Mixer straight from your Xbox One).

I don't think Microsoft is going to stay 'second' for long. The Switch has been clobbering XBox One in sales since it came out

The XB1 is in its Wii U stage right now. May get a second wind when they make a brand new model that can make use of innovative games, unless its just more of the same.

The XB1 is in its Wii U stage right now. May get a second wind when they make a brand new model that can make use of innovative games, unless its just more of the same.

The XB1 is no where near where the Wii U was at any time in its life cycle and never will be. The XB1 still gets tons of major 3rd party support, while the Switch gets hardly none.

• Like 4

The only thing I really miss about Kinect 2.0 was not having to type in codes to redeem content. Being able to just scan it in was very slick, and the OS still prompts you to scan, last I checked.

I sold my Kinect for $100 a year after I got it with my launch console. I got lucky. They needed a really good Kinect Sports packaged at launch with more killer apps on the way if they wanted to go the Kinect route. It's a shame the impressive tech was not better utilized.

The XB1 still gets tons of major 3rd party support, while the Switch gets hardly none.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ... the Switch gets tons of MINOR 3rd party support, which in my opinion makes it interesting and gives it legs. It's like the Vita but with Nintendo games.

I agree that XBone is likely doing just fine, only not as good as Playstation, and honestly if new games dried up for either machine tomorrow I'd still have more than enough games to play on either one.