IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

Yes, I'm actually working on an update of that for over at Atari HQ.  Also putting that together for Pong systems, 5200 and 7800.

943505[/snapback]

My Heavy Sixer has been MODed into a 7800 do you want to see that? (seriously ask CPUWIZ I sent him the pics as soon as I completed the project) :D

I call this frankenstien the 7800 Heavy Sixer.

Edited by silver_surfer

Sorry, I got all exited about the board stamp and forgot the rest of your stuff was in storage. Did you have to take the shielding off to see that stamp? The boards on mine have the Fuji in plain sight on the Reset/ Select side of the board if I remember correctly.

944290[/snapback]

Yes, the one in the picture was under the shielding, as in you have to remove the entire shielded section of the board from the plastic case. It's on the reverse (soldered side) of the board.

I got my Heavy Sixer today :0)

It's in great shape and a low serial # too(49716M).

I was amazed how much better the video was with the Heavy rather than my light Tele sixer,I thought it was kinda all the same?

I do have one problem though,the spring on the Reset is broken(I checked it out to be sure and it was laying in the bottom).

I have to order a Potentiometer for my paddles from Atari Best Electronics so I hope they sell the spring?

Anyway,Im just happy to have a Heavy finally so now I can start collecting games/boxes ect.. lol

post-7594-1128740955_thumb.jpg

post-7594-1128741131_thumb.jpg

post-7594-1128741167_thumb.jpg

I got my Heavy Sixer today :0)

It's in great shape and a low serial # too(49716M).

944315[/snapback]

Current theory makes that a rather high serial, not low.

The theory (for U.S. consoles) goes something like this, apologies in advance for any errors:

First, there were serials with NO letter suffix.

When they ran out of digits, they started over at 00000 (or 00001) and added an "A" at the end.

Each time Atari ran out of numeric digits, they incremented the letter suffix and reset the digits.

They got as far as (U? V? something like that) before they stopped making heavy sixers - about 2 million units.

Therefore, an "M" suffix is currently believed to be more than halfway through total heavy sixer production.

I don't know if they actually used any "all zeroes" serials - if they did, there would have been less than 25 of them. My guess is they would definitely not have used 00000, but they might have used 00000A, etc., making approximately 21 or 22 all zeroes serials, assuming they didn't skip any letters. Nowadays letters "I" and "O" are often skipped in mixed alphanumeric serials because it's too easy to confuse them with numerals "1" and "0". If Atari did that, there might have been less than 20 all zeroes serials.

BTW, if you're any good at soldering and fiddly mechanical work, you could probably put that spring back (if it isn't actually broken) by taking the switch apart. I read that some of the switches can even have their springs replaced without taking them apart. Apparently these same switches often lose their springs spontaneously.

I don't know if they actually used any "all zeroes" serials - if they did, there would have been less than 25 of them. My guess is they would definitely not have used 00000, but they might have used 00000A, etc., making approximately 21 or 22 all zeroes serials, assuming they didn't skip any letters. Nowadays letters "I" and "O" are often skipped in mixed alphanumeric serials because it's too easy to confuse them with numerals "1" and "0". If Atari did that, there might have been less than 20 all zeroes serials.

944408[/snapback]

Generally serial numbers aren't started with all zeros or something like 00001. They usually start with a higher base number like 00100 or 01000, etc. Jerry or Curt should be able to verify this.

In an old thread, Curt Vendel indicated that 400,000 VCS's were produced in 1977 and another 800,000 were produced in 1978. Jerry Jessop stated that production switched to light-sixers in mid-1978, so all of the 1977 production would have been heavy-sixers and probably half of the 1978 production were heavy-sixers. This would put total heavy-sixer production somewhere around 800,000 - 1,000,000 units. Although I assume they are, it's not clear whether Sears units are included in Curt's figures.

If our current interpretation of heavy-sixer serial numbers is correct (that is, each letter represents a batch of ~ 100,000 units), then based on the number of batches currently identified (11), at least 1.1 million Sunnyvale heavy-sixers were produced. Plus, at least another 500,000 Sears units (5 known letter-batches), for a total of 1.6 million heavy-sixers. There is at least some discrepancy between these numbers and the figures Curt gives. Enough that I think the current theory needs tweeking. The discrepancy will grow if other letter batches are confirmed. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, and Z batches may be out there, but I think it's likely that I and O were skipped. The discrepancy shrinks if only certain number ranges were used, like starting at 10,000 for serial numbers with letter suffixes.

Here are a few Heavy Sixer serial numbers I gathered these from several old topics on this subject.

Sunnyvale

Atari Leaf - 72132G

Omne - 71759G

kevin242 - 66477G

ToddRogers - 78327F Todd calls it a "U shape" Atari 6 switch. I think he is referring to a Heavy Sixer.

video game addict - 77419E

gulag picture radio - 67972F

Scott Stilphen - SN 73100J

Big Player - 65965G - No Channel Select Switch

NovaXpress - 70447L

hanglyman - 45981F

Kratogen - 20600G

GruBBworM - 086520 (No letter)

Adrian M - 25311J

Ze_ro - 51074G

maroguy - 24133K

Kialan - 33273M

Sears

Kepone - 30855T

joserb - 11506U

Cassidy Nolen - 75872S

Taiwan

bjk7382 - T 0003246

video game addict - T 0012493

w3ace - T 0000296

BTW - my Heavy Sixer doesn't have a channel select switch.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Thats great, I don't know why I didn't do that before. Thanks a lot.

It would be great if we could get some more batch numbers and dates from the circuit boards to go with the suffixes. I'll have to check mine again since wgungfu posted that his was under the RF shield.

Edited by Wester

Here are a few Heavy Sixer serial numbers I gathered these from several old topics on this subject.

Sunnyvale

<snip>

944607[/snapback]

This one is odd - six characters but no letter? Anyone want to bet that it's really an "oh" suffix? I'll see if I can find the original post, maybe there's a photo.

EDIT: Found it, no photo, but he decided it's NOT a heavy sixer-

HEAVY SIXER (post #5)

Edited by A.J. Franzman

The theory (for U.S. consoles) goes something like this, apologies in advance for any errors:

First, there were serials with NO letter suffix.

When they ran out of digits, they started over at 00000 (or 00001) and added an "A" at the end.

Each time Atari ran out of numeric digits, they incremented the letter suffix and reset the digits.

They got as far as (U? V? something like that) before they stopped making heavy sixers - about 2 million units.

Therefore, an "M" suffix is currently believed to be more than halfway through total heavy sixer production.

What about Sears? I don't think either of the lists posted so far (the one at the top of the thread, and the one below your post) show any serial with a letter below "S". (And conversely, I haven't seen an Atari serial # above "N"). That would sort of make sense, maybe they started with "S" for "Sears" and then went up from there?

I've been thinking I have a really low serial number all this time, would be a disappointment to me if I didn't. (Though I'll live...)

Sunnyvale

<snip>

944607[/snapback]

This one is odd - six characters but no letter? Anyone want to bet that it's really an "oh" suffix? I'll see if I can find the original post, maybe there's a photo.

HEAVY SIXER (post #5)

944759[/snapback]

Thanks for catching that! :) I actually got that reference here. Oh, and I think GruBBworM is a she.

What about Sears?  I don't think either of the lists posted so far (the one at the top of the thread, and the one below your post) show any serial with a letter below "S".   (And conversely, I haven't seen an Atari serial # above "N").  That would sort of make sense, maybe they started with "S" for "Sears" and then went up from there?

I've been thinking I have a really low serial number all this time, would be a disappointment to me if I didn't.  (Though I'll live...)

944771[/snapback]

On Stella's Boneyard there is a Atari heavy-sixer with a P suffix and a Sears heavy-sixer with an R suffix.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Sunnyvale

<snip>

944607[/snapback]

HEAVY SIXER (post #5)

944759[/snapback]

Thanks for catching that! :) I actually got that reference here. Oh, and I think GruBBworM is a she.

What about Sears?  I don't think either of the lists posted so far (the one at the top of the thread, and the one below your post) show any serial with a letter below "S".   (And conversely, I haven't seen an Atari serial # above "N").  That would sort of make sense, maybe they started with "S" for "Sears" and then went up from there?

I've been thinking I have a really low serial number all this time, would be a disappointment to me if I didn't.  (Though I'll live...)

944771[/snapback]

On Stella's Boneyard there is a Atari heavy-sixer with a P suffix and a Sears heavy-sixer with an R suffix.

944779[/snapback]

GruBBworM's will be nixed then, Those Sears ones on the boneyard could have been "Lights" too.

• 1 month later...

I hadn't checked this in a while, then read my name several times on the first page :? It wasn't til I got to the last one and saw it was searched. I have had more in the past, but sold off. Had me scratching my head there for a minute! :)

Anyways, I dug this up because I got another heavy in the mail today

Serial number 16897H it's an Atari unit, with no channel cutout on bottom.

Also just bumping around ebay and passed this one Serial is clearly posted in auction, so I guess it could be added to the list as well.

I don't know if you are looking for Heavy sixers on Ebay, but here you go:

There is a sears heavy sixer on ebay: 18095N

62_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-Tele-Games-ATARI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another one: 83177M

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEAN-WORKING-ATARI-26...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another: 80252:

f1_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-VCS-WOODY-HEAVY-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another: 26098J

57_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightly-Used-ATARI-260...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another: 22681K

4f_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-Heavy-Sixer-Sunn...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another Sears: 56924U

1e_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-TELEGAMES-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another: 153164

c8_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-2600-Boxed-Heavy...1QQcmdZViewItem

Heavy Sixer:  45347P

969136[/snapback]

Are you sure about this one? It would be our first Heavy with a "P" suffix. Could you post a pic of the console and sticker for us?

969667[/snapback]

I think you are right. It looks like it is not the heavy sixer, but the light sixer. It has been a while since I pulled it out and I assumed that since it said Made in Sunnyvale that it was a heavy sixer. Were some of the light sixers made there?

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8446.jpg