IGNORED

"Mute" (temp) instead of block?

Flojomojo

Of course ... but sometimes people get into pissy little feuds that blow over. If the new software had temp muting as a built-in feature, I hope you can see your way towards turning it on. If it doesn't, no big deal.

So, how would you envision this "temp muting" working? I can tell you right now this is not a feature of the updated forum software, nor does it seem like something they would add.

..Al

• Like 1

I know forum software isn't "cutting edge," nor does it need to be for the purposes of AtariAge.

That said, I do not think this an exotic feature for an information-heavy service. On noisier news sources, I very much appreciate not hearing about every little story related to Pokemon Go or the the Uber CEO (two topics I happily block forever).

On Twitter: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175032

From the Twitter for iOS app:

1. Go to your Notifications tab 1497482990_2270.png
  2. Tap the gear icon 1497483017_3280.png
  3. Tap Muted, then tap Muted words.
  4. Tap Add.
  5. Type in the word or hashtag you’d like to mute.
    Note: Entries can only be added one a time.
  6. Select whether to enable this in Home timeline or Notifications, or both.
  7. Select whether this is From anyone or From people you don’t follow (for enabled Notifications only).
  8. Tap For how long? and choose between Forever, 24 hours, 7 days, or 30 days.
  9. Tap Save.
  10. You will see the mute time period indicated next to each entered word or hashtag.
  11. Tap Done to exit.

On Feedly: https://blog.feedly.com/mute-filters/

Time and attention are two of your most precious resources in our busy world. We put a lot of effort into giving you more control over how to optimize the signal-to-noise ratio in your Feedly and find all the information that’s important to you in one central place.

Earlier this year, we reached out to the Feedly community to better understand your needs around filtering. Two use cases stood out:

1. Muting Memes — When a new craze appears (think Pokémon Go or Apple’s product releases), it can take over your Feedly. You need the power to block out distractions and the flexibility to turn your filters off and on.
  2. Fine Tune Your Sources — For some sources, you are only interested in a subset of the articles they publish. The rest is noise. You need the power to surface the most relevant content.

Perhaps Facebook's "snooze" function explains it best. Or as Mashable puts it, "for the people you only kind of hate."

http://mashable.com/2017/09/15/facebook-snooze/#4c6w3s5w88qC

Temporarily muting the person saying, "what's better, peanut butter or jelly?" while the community sorts out the behavior, could help some folks.

Since I've got your attention, another desired feature would be software that senses when there's already a topic ("That AtariBox") that covers what someone is about to post. I think Reddit does something like that. Again, AA is small enough it's not a crucial feature, but if you can get it for free, it sure would be nice to have.

I'm not expecting/demanding any of this to come to AA, just answering your question. :-)

• 1 month later...

I've got an idea. Can you enable word replacement for certain acronyms/buzzwords that often lead to arguments - so that those looking to pick a fight have their ammo taken away from them?

An old local music forum I used to post on did that for certain annoying or hot-button words that would get things tense. (They also did it for some common misspellings to hilarious results.)

example: any time someone types in "SJW" or "Social Justice Warrior" have the board automatically replace it with "I like Baseball" or "Hugs and Kisses".

• Like 1

I've got an idea. Can you enable word replacement for certain acronyms/buzzwords that often lead to arguments - so that those looking to pick a fight have their ammo taken away from them?

An old local music forum I used to post on did that for certain annoying or hot-button words that would get things tense. (They also did it for some common misspellings to hilarious results.)

example: any time someone types in "SJW" or "Social Justice Warrior" have the board automatically replace it with "I like Baseball" or "Hugs and Kisses".

Yes, I can, but have only rarely used that feature.

..Al

• Like 1