IGNORED

Now that the "Wii Brand" Is finally retired, what's the final verdict?

JaguarVision

Generally the average consumer found Wii U more confusing than Xbox One. But Microsoft basically followed off of "360" so they had a safety net. If Xbox One came after the actual Xbox 1 well...uh...

Only thing that naming it Xbox One caused was making it hard to find original Xbox stuff for a year and a half.

Wii u however had more than the name against it. I mean the marketing was a complete failure for way to long.

I think the first major event didn't even show the tablet it just showed a Wii U on the side at a weird angle and comments thinking the consoles was actually just an original Wii starting the add-on rumors.

I think it was more that the large Wii casual audience had abandoned the Wii by the time the Wii U released. Maybe they were more enamored with mobile games by then or whatever, and the Wii U had nothing with the wow factor of Wii Bowling to bring them back on board.

MS has been known to artificially bump up version numbers to make a technology appear more mature than it is. That's why they didn't want an Xbox 2 competing against a PS3, so they named it Xbox 360. So it's baffling that they'd name their 3rd version "one"

• Like 1

I never owned a Wii U, but the Wii is my all time favorite home console. Between the Wii's killer library of on-rails shooters, action-adventure, and survival horror games, it's backwards compatibility with GameCube games, and the option to add the Homebrew Channel to emulate everything from Atari 2600 to Sega Genesis there isn't much that I like gaming wise that I can't play on the Wii. It's pretty much the "all in one" console for me, and I think that motion control with the Wii remote is the most precise and elegant way ever devised to control any first-person game that involves shooting things. :)

• Like 2

I never owned a Wii U, but the Wii is my all time favorite home console. Between the Wii's killer library of on-rails shooters, action-adventure, and survival horror games, it's backwards compatibility with GameCube games, and the option to add the Homebrew Channel to emulate everything from Atari 2600 to Sega Genesis there isn't much that I like gaming wise that I can't play on the Wii. It's pretty much the "all in one" console for me, and I think that motion control with the Wii remote is the most precise and elegant way ever devised to control any first-person game that involves shooting things. :)

Yep, The Wii took what the Dreamcast started as far as the all in one emulation and ran with it to heights I love to this day :)

yep. I also loved the wii remote for first person shooting games. For me, you only can play with keyboard and mouse or with the wiimote. Dpads with little sticks aren't good for shooters in my opinion.

I really don't understand how people could prefer the standard modern console controler for fps...

• Like 1

yep. I also loved the wii remote for first person shooting games. For me, you only can play with keyboard and mouse or with the wiimote. Dpads with little sticks aren't good for shooters in my opinion.

I really don't understand how people could prefer the standard modern console controler for fps...

I'm not really picky when it comes to first-person shooter games, I'll play them with a D-pad, dual analog sticks, keyboard and mouse, or pretty much any other control system developers can devise; though the Wii remote is definitely my favorite aiming method. Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on the Xbox 360 with it's twin stick controls just feels awkward and clunky once I got used to playing Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition on the Wii. Same goes for the Metroid Prime games on the GameCube versus the ones on the Wii. There is definitely a learning curve to using the Wii remote to aim and it took me a few hours of practice to really get comfortable with it, but once I did it quickly became my favorite control method for first-person shooters. Third person shooters can benefit a lot from Wii remote aiming too actually. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is almost too easy when you have the Wii remote to aim with. Poppin' heads all day long! :D

I'm suddenly curious of your must buy list.

I'm suddenly curious of your must buy list.

Ask and you shall receive! It's a long list so check the spoiler tag below for my personal list of recommended Wii games sorted by genre, with their current average complete in box prices included. Bear in mind that there are a few sports and rhythm games on the list that I personally enjoy but your results may vary depending on whether or not you're into those genres of games. :)

Action / Adventure

A Boy and His Blob - $16

Deadly Creatures - $16

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - $8

de Blob - $6

de Blob 2 - $6

Donkey Kong Country Returns - $10

Kirby's Dream Collection - $40

Kirby's Epic Yarn - $10

Kirby's Return to Dreamland - $31

Klonoa - $29

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - $28

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - $9

LEGO The Lord of the Rings - $5

Lost in Shadow - $22

Metroid: Other M - $7

Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars - $9

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - $15

Nights: Journey of Dreams - $6

Okami - $10

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - $5

Rabbids Go Home: A Comedy Adventure - $6

Rayman Origins - $8

Sonic and the Secret Rings - $5

Sonic Colors - $8

Sonic Unleashed - $7

Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition - $18

Super Mario Galaxy - $8

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $12

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins - $7

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $6

Tomb Raider: Underworld - $6

Wario Land: Shake It! - $10

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - $11

Survival Horror

Cursed Mountain - $11

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil - $9

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero - $10

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - $7

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - $24

On-Rails Shooters

Dead Space: Extraction - $12

Dino Strike - $14

Ghost Squad - $7

Gunblade NY & L.A. Machineguns Arcade Hits Pack - $27

Heavy Fire: Afghanistan - $10

The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return - $11

The House of the Dead: Overkill - $15

Link's Crossbow Training - $5

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - $7

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - $15

First-Person Shooters

Call of Duty: Black Ops - $8

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition - $5

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - $6

The Conduit - $7

Conduit 2 - $17

Far Cry Vengeance - $6

GoldenEye 007 - $7

Jurassic: The Hunted - $15

Metroid Prime Trilogy - $43

Red Steel - $5

Red Steel 2 - $6

Other Shooters

Centipede: Infestation - $8

Geometry Wars: Galaxies - $7

Metal Slug Anthology - $27

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - $14

Ultimate Shooting Collection - $25

Hack n' Slash / Beat 'em Up

MadWorld - $9

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - $17

No More Heroes - $11

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - $25

Spyborgs - $9

Racing / Sports

ExciteBots: Trick Racing - $9

Mario Kart Wii - $21

NBA Jam - $13

NCAA Football 09: All-Play - $8

Need For Speed: Nitro - $6

Skate It - $4

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $8

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 - $10

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters - $26

Wii Sports - $10

Wii Sports Resort - $11

Fighting

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - $12

Punch-Out!! - $17

Samurai Shodown Anthology - $23

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - $13

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All Stars - $26

RPGs

The Last Story - $32

Monster Hunter Tri - $6

Super Paper Mario - $11

Xenoblade Chronicles - $37

Puzzle

Angry Birds Trilogy - $16

Boom Blox - $6

Boom Blox: Bash Party - $10

Bust-A-Move Bash! - $6

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - $8

Tetris Party Deluxe - $15

Strategy

Battalion Wars 2 - $7

Little King's Story - $18

Overlord: Dark Legend - $8

Other

Bit.Trip Complete - $15

Data East Arcade Classics - $65

DJ Hero - $3

DJ Hero 2 - $3

Domino Rally - $6

Dream Pinball 3D - $5

Elebits - $5

Ivy the Kiwi? - $55

Kororinpa Marble Mania - $24

Namco Museum Megamix - $9

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection - $20

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - $6

Rayman: Raving Rabbids - $5

Rhythm Heaven Fever - $15

Secret Files: Tunguska - $13

SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 - $20

Trauma Center: Second Opinion -$8

Trauma Center: New Blood - $7

Trauma Team - $16

Wii Play - $3

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

The Wii is my favorite console of that generation. I still have my original Wii that I bought on launch day & still play it pretty regularly. I imagine that most "gamers" that dismissed the Wii as a system for kids & grandparents didn't give it a fair shake. I have 70+ games, most of which are exclusives, and 99% are at least decent.

• 4 weeks later...

Wii was too full of gimmicky motion controlled titles that didn't need it. Wii U was a lot better, very underrated and undersold system, the gamepad added a lot more to titles than motion controls did, IMO, and for games that don't require it, the Wii U Pro controller is like pure bliss in the hands.

Wii U is one of my favorite systems this century.

• Like 1

The Metroid Prime games certainly are among those that greatly benefited from the motion controls vs standard controls, so I could definitely see that going for FPS in general, but I don't' play many of them.

If the only thing the Wii-U ever was to be was a supercharged Wii with better graphics and a better storage system, it STILL would have been worth my money. The fact that t had some great games of its own was just gravy.

Shame that didn't make it a success with the rest of the world, but I love it.

The Wii is probably my all time favorite system. I still remember playing Galaxy in Best Buy for the first time and being blown away like never before. The controls just felt so right for me.

The Wii U was had its merits but was very flawed for many reasons that we all know. Worst was lack of the same breadth of first party titles.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wii made Nintendo great again.

​I didn't like the use of motion control where it didn't belong (Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great example..so much better on 3DS) but overall I really like the Wii. I'm still collecting for it with roughly 90 games on my shelves as of writing. The Wiimote is a perfect replacement for a mouse pointer, so it made the system great for FPS, Rail Shooters and even slower-paced strategy games. Those who got into the Virtual Console were treated to rock solid ports of SNK Classics and other such games you couldn't buy anywhere else. And it has hidden gems popping up every other week even this late in the 2010s.

​There are 1000 metric tons of shovelware available for it, yes, but that doesn't mean one should buy these titles. Overall, it was a great idea and a great console with a huge library, what else did you want?