IGNORED

Most fragile CD based systems?

For what it's worth I don't recall the PSone having the issues of the PSX, pretty sure they corrected it. I've had a few over the years, most not kept too long but they've all been reliable. Even some really beat up found ones still ran just right. The first one I got at Midway with the LCD attached and it got a few hundred hours or more on it and it never once skipped out. I'd want to say that Sony learned their lesson, but look how the PS2 ended up.

The only PS1s I've ever seen any problems with personally were the really early ones with the serial port on the back. The later ones that removed the serial port and the PSOne have all been fine for me, and my spouse has been using one of the revised PS1 systems without the serial port almost every day for the last 5 years without issue.

Yeah; at the moment, the only temperamental CD console I own is my Sega CD v.2.It's sometimes a little difficult to always get it to read a CD but I'm never sure what is fully to blame; the CD or the machine. PS1 works fine, PS2 Slim is fine, Saturn is fine, Dreamcast is fine, 3D0 is fine, Turbo is fine...

Now that I've said that, something won't work right, next time I go to power it up. Thanks a lot! :mad:

There definitely will come a day when it's going to be a rare thing to be able to experience a disc-based console the way it really was. Eventually we'll all be using something like the Dreamcast's flash loader and bypassing the drives on every system, and the drives will all die without us even knowing in a lot of cases. I'll bet at least one or two of the CD-based systems I have boxed up right now don't work anymore, unbeknownst to me. That's what happened with my Dreamcast; I babied that thing, kept it boxed up for a while, took it out again and it didn't work.

From my own experience, the only two optical disc systems I've definitely had go bad are my Dreamcast and my launch PS3. But in the PS3's case, it's not the drive that died; I had the common issue with the CPU coming unsoldered or whatever. (I probably could have fixed it now but didn't have the skills at the time.) The Dreamcast, though, would no longer read discs.

I do know from searching around to buy one that PSX's seem to have a horrendous laser failure rate; it's actually hard to find a fully working one already. (Some seem to read one kind of disc but not another, so you can find partially working ones more easily.) Ditto for original Sega CD's, although mine was working when I sold it (I should have kept it; I regret that whenever I think about it).

I know that original PS2's and Xbox's have a bad reputation, but all of mine still work (1 JP and 1 US PS2, 1 Xbox), as far as I know.

My second revision PS1 (still has serial port but no RCA ports) still worked last time I fired it up, but it's been a while.

• Like 1

There definitely will come a day when it's going to be a rare thing to be able to experience a disc-based console the way it really was.

That's fine by me. As long as the games run the same, I don't mind. The people who will be complaining the most are large collectors who now have a mountain of plastic with no purpose.

In the end you'll not even being using a hacked up original with some memory card reader or some other future stand in as TV tech and the rest will hit a wall too. It will be some advanced to us computer, probably some PI level wonky average junk at that rate that'll run everything spot on. Perhaps retro controllers will be sold still that match the feel or just some generic Switch pro wireless controller type setup will just be the thing to deal with. The disc based stuff is surely going to even if they're younger crap out before the old carts.

My August '95 PSX is still going. The only hiccup it experienced was the start up screen and cd/memory card screen being jittery. It no longer does this. When my brother had it, he would keep it elevated so the vents weren't as close to whatever it sat on. I'm on my 3rd fat PS2. I had to PS2's(30001 & 50001) AV go out on me.

Keep the broken or drive issue Phat PS2s around...

With a $8 Free McBoot mem card off ebay and a spare IDE drive you can load 95%+ off the PS2 library right off the HDD (via OPL).

Even 85% or so of the PS1 library runs fine off USB on a PS2 (via POPS).

No hard mod necessary for either of those methods.

Lines up with what others were saying... similar to flash cart/ODE method but at least you get to use the original hardware and not chunk it.

My PS2s work fine but I'm using the methods above to save wear on them. Same with my oXbox. I play everything off the HDD.

Even flash/ODE/HDD methods won't save us from bad caps, aging power supplies, and crumbling solder... our hobby is a ticking time bomb!

I bought a SegaCD 2 at a goodwill. Worked flawlessly the first time I played it. Never worked again after that.

Bought a Dreamcast off eBay. It's tempermental, but still has a high enough success rate that I keep it around.

Not really going to get into the DVD/BR era systems, since it seems like they're in their own league. However, I will say that I've been using my PS3 as a movie player for almost 10 years, and it's been a TANK. No video games, but thousands of discs, including CDs, DVDs, DVD-Rs, and BluRays. It's held up.

What do you think they are?

I was reflecting on the price of Sega CD games the other day and wondered to myself "how many working Sega CD's are even left?" It's sort of a problem, the reliability of some optical drive based consoles. I bet there will still be working heavy sixers by the time the last Sega CD model 1 has died...

What are your top "fragile" systems to note and what is it that makes them this way?

Hands down, Xbox 360. RRoD. Even on late models due to Microsoft not spending money on a few extra parts to prevent scratching up discs. So damned if you have a non-S model, and damned if you have an S-model and like playing discs. My S model, the hard drive died with no notice, so I'm stuck with only playing the games on the USB stick. When the Xbox 360 becomes 30 years old, you will not find a single working unit because people will not be willing to part with working models.

In the case of early CD's, I have working 2X cd-roms proprietary drives that still work. So it's not so much the drive but, the type of drive. A slot loader or a top loader is more likely to be damaged by the user forcing the disc, so the PSX and the late model Sega CD/CDX are more likely to be the most fragile by the way they are handled, while the DC is more likely the most fragile due to proprietary features. The 3DO is more likely to be salvaged with software emulators since you could buy things like the 3DO blaster which used a stock Panasonic 2X proprietary interface drive to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

My SCD model 1 has never had a problem.

I had to replace the drive unit in my TGCD at one point, it just wouldn't work.

The laser in my PSX (early model with direct component jacks) wore out to the point I had to run it upside down to keep it from skipping,

I had to replace the laser in my PS2 (big) but now it runs better than my PSTWO (slim) did brand new.

I bought a new Dreamcast when my first one decided to stop playing original GD-ROMS (but CD-R backups were okay) I even left that thing on for weeks with the vents covered in clear packing tape and it wouldn't stop running CD-R's! But I needed to run my existing originals, so replacement!

No real problems with any Xbox or Nintendo disc systems.

I'm going to say the fat model 360s are the most fragile systems do to the RROD issues, and a lot of CD systems will be working after those have died.

Probably, but IME, falcons do okay, and jaspers are reportedly even better (at least as good as the S models). It's really the old old ones (pre-HDMI) that are a problem. Granted my falcon is JTAG'd and I keep the fans at 100% all the time which probably helps.

Oh, and i had a Saturn from the "sneak" launch that crapped out the first night after just a few hours, but I think it was just the system in general not the drive. After I finally got a replacement (which wasn't easy, as EB sold out at that location, and wouldn't give me back my cash to go next door and buy one at babbages, then their other location tried to pawn off a used one on me before I finally got a new one) it's always been fine, other than those batteries not lasting long enough for save data, but the Mega Memory Card helped there.

There definitely will come a day when it's going to be a rare thing to be able to experience a disc-based console the way it really was. Eventually we'll all be using something like the Dreamcast's flash loader and bypassing the drives on every system, and the drives will all die without us even knowing in a lot of cases. I'll bet at least one or two of the CD-based systems I have boxed up right now don't work anymore, unbeknownst to me. That's what happened with my Dreamcast; I babied that thing, kept it boxed up for a while, took it out again and it didn't work.

From my own experience, the only two optical disc systems I've definitely had go bad are my Dreamcast and my launch PS3. But in the PS3's case, it's not the drive that died; I had the common issue with the CPU coming unsoldered or whatever. (I probably could have fixed it now but didn't have the skills at the time.) The Dreamcast, though, would no longer read discs.

I do know from searching around to buy one that PSX's seem to have a horrendous laser failure rate; it's actually hard to find a fully working one already. (Some seem to read one kind of disc but not another, so you can find partially working ones more easily.) Ditto for original Sega CD's, although mine was working when I sold it (I should have kept it; I regret that whenever I think about it).

I know that original PS2's and Xbox's have a bad reputation, but all of mine still work (1 JP and 1 US PS2, 1 Xbox), as far as I know.

My second revision PS1 (still has serial port but no RCA ports) still worked last time I fired it up, but it's been a while.

Apparently the fix for Dreamcast disc readers is pretty simple (in most cases). YouTube has quite a bit on that subject.

I've had the same problem, it seems like the Saturn eats through them in a matter of months. How long do they actually last?

See I have tried 2 different batteries with different results. Some cheaper Chinese brad ones lasted maybe 3 months tops but a Duracell one lasted more than a year. I also think it matters whether the units are plugged in or not as well but don't quote me there.

Claims it's the "final" device for the PC Engine... ha! Doesn't even support SuperGrafx games on my PC Engine. Not so final now, is it? :rolling:

Kidding, kidding... this thing looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up. May just have to spring for one of these. :grin: