IGNORED

Genesis homebrew pcb's too thick?

AtariLeaf

I recently acquired a homebrew/hack genesis cart from an online store ( no need to mention names right now ) and the carts pcb is noticeably thicker than a regular genesis cart. So thick in fact that getting it in my genesis and also out is an almost struggle to the death. In fact tonight I needed a second person tonight to hold my genesis so I could use both hands to get the game out. Needless to say I won't be using the game again and have contacted the seller for a replacement if I can get a cart with a thinner board or barring that, a refund.

The seller told me they have never run into an issue but holding a regular genesis game, any game, in comparison to this homebrew, the homebrews pcb is definitely much thicker and I've never had a cart get stuck like this and this HDG Model 1 is my daily driver so I use it frequently.

I know there are bootlegs like you'd get from Aliexpress that are like this but this is not aliexpress, it is a well known company in the retro gaming community. I found a video on youtube when I did a search where someone actually tried to sand the board down to make it fit which is ridiculous. Anyone run into this? I can't imagine using a game that could potentially damage the pins on my console.

I can attest to this issue. I've seen it with the flash based PCBs you can get from Krikzz. Nothing wrong with the carts themselves, but the PCBs are very thick and are quite the challenge to insert and remove from the Genesis. I have two games that are most problematic...

The Piko Release of Water Margin is one of them.

The second is the Homebrew release of Escape 2042 from Orion. In fact with 2042, that game comes in a snap together 3rd party genesis shell. The second time I removed the game from my Genesis, which did lift the entire genesis+model 1 sega CD combo up off the shelf, the cart tabs broke on one side and the shell wouldn't stay together anymore. I ended up drilling small holes and tapping them out so I could use some small screws to secure the cart shell together.

So, I would say this is mainly an issue with repros or homebrew releases that use some of the flash based PCBs for their games. That actually look thicker too.

I have found that using a 32x helps, because for some reason, those carts will fit in and come out easier on both 32x units I own.

• Like 1

I don't have a 32x but perhaps a genesis game genie would work using the same principle. When I get the replacement cart I'll post the results here. It's supposedly a different model board, hopefully thinner. Otherwise I won't use the game I can't see potentially bending pins or breaking things to get a cart in and out. The first time I tried getting it out I had the system on a book shelf and I yanked it so hard my hand slammed into the shelf above. That hurt, as well as knocking a stack of Atari games around that was sitting there.

FYI, I have one Sega Genesis game, and it's about 0.063", or 1.6 mm. The homebrew PCB I bought matches this.

It seems unlikely that a board would be thicker than this, so I wonder if something else is going on to make the cart stuck.

I don't know but none of my other games have a death grip like this. Some can be a little tight but I don't feel like I need to brace my foot against the console and two hand it out like I had to with this particular homebrew. And I'm not using hyperbole, I actually had to brace my foot against the console and use two hands to pull it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on the replacement cart to see if it's any better. Does anyone think there's a concern in using my current cart if removing it takes so much effort? What are the chances of console connector damage from removing a cart so tight? I would think the changes are up there and am afraid of using the damn game over this issue, making my purchase a complete waste of money.

• 1 year later...

I just got a repro of Grind Stormer and the PCB is really thick. I've noticed some of my EA games for the system have thick PCBs as well but they are rounded at the contact to make it easier to get in and out.

Now on Grind Stormer part of the plastic that goes around the (fake) screw hole broke off. The game still works but now I've used some tape to keep the board from moving. So what I did was took some sandpaper and sanded down the edges of the PCB (be careful to not scratch up the pins) and I can now get it out without killing myself or breaking the game again lol

Edited by TravisHuckins

I just got a repro of Grind Stormer and the PCB is really thick. I've noticed some of my EA games for the system have thick PCBs as well but they are rounded at the contact to make it easier to get in and out.

Now on Grind Stormer part of the plastic that goes around the (fake) screw hole broke off. The game still works but now I've used some tape to keep the board from moving. So what I did was took some sandpaper and sanded down the edges of the PCB (be careful to not scratch up the pins) and I can now get it out without killing myself or breaking the game again lol

Sounds similar to what happened with my Escape 2042 cart I bought from Orion sometime back. I've made it a point that any repors I buy now, I ask the seller what PCBs they are using. If they tell me they are new ones then I ask more questions to find out what PCB etc.. It can be tricky. I almost prefer when a repo is made using recycled old boards from other games since I know the PCB thickness will be proper. AtariLeaf never did follow up on this thread if his replacement was better or not?

post-29698-0-94672600-1543465840_thumb.jpg

The shell of the repro was broken and would not stay together so I stuck it into a shell from an authentic Genesis style cart. Got the old sticker off and glued the Grind Stormer label onto the donor shell and it looks so much better.

And the best thing is... even with one of the screw holes broken on the PCB is fits snugly in the new shell and does not move around.

Does this damage the system?

I've noticed recently some of my hombrew and repro Genesis and 32x games have thicker PCB's.

Maybe best not to leave them in the system too long outside of playing time? So as to not loosen up the system and weaken the contact points for the factory thickness games?