IGNORED

Such a shame ;-)

fabrice montupet

Tonight, I undertook the internal cleaning of a perfectly functional TI-99/4A that I had bought a few years ago, to do the maintenance of it as I do for all my equipment in a cyclical way. During the disassembling, I could see that the TI employees not employed half-measures with the thermal paste for the VDP ... It was dropped everywhere on the legs of the component, on the IC support and even on some neighboring components. To simplify the cleaning of the quartz that was also covered (the paste having hardened over the years), I decided to desolder it. At this time, I wondered what could be the supplier of this quartz, this quartz of 10.738635 MHz that equips all TI-99/4A and which runs the VDP. The plastic film wrapping it indicating only this frequency of 10.738635 MHz, I used a X-Acto cutter to remove the film, hoping that an inscription engraved on the quartz would tell me more.
And indeed I could discover the name of the manufacturer: NDK. But what was my surprise by reading the frequency: 8.867 MHz!

A packaging marking error. The VDP can't work at this frequency, it looses the video sync.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 2

Tonight, I undertook the internal cleaning of a perfectly functional TI-99/4A that I had bought a few years ago, to do the maintenance of it as I do for all my equipment in a cyclical way. During the disassembling, I could see that the TI employees not employed half-measures with the thermal paste for the VDP ... It was dropped everywhere on the legs of the component, on the IC support and even on some neighboring components. To simplify the cleaning of the quartz that was also covered (the paste having hardened over the years), I decided to desolder it. At this time, I wondered what could be the supplier of this quartz, this quartz of 10.738635 MHz that equips all TI-99/4A and which runs the VDP. The plastic film wrapping it indicating only this frequency of 10.738635 MHz, I used a X-Acto cutter to remove the film, hoping that an inscription engraved on the quartz would tell me more.

And indeed I could discover the name of the manufacturer: NDK. But what was my surprise by reading the frequency: 8.867 MHz!

A packaging marking error. The VDP can't work at this frequency, it looses the video sync.

Is the quartz identical for 99/4A NTSC and 99/4A PAL?