IGNORED

What Games Did You Also Buy On Other Systems

FireHawk

I was thinking the other day, about the older game systems and I realized that I didn't really purchase the same game again on different systems, as I wanted new gaming experiences. However, there were some exceptions, in which I wanted the better graphics, sound, gameplay for a closer arcade feel.

Which games did you purchase on multiple systems ?

Here is my list:

Asteroids

2600, 7800

Dig Dug

5200, 7800

Pac-man

2600, 5200

Joust

5200, 7800

Pole Position

5200, 7800

I regret not re-buying Centipede and Ms Pac-man on the 7800 and Xenophobe on the Lynx

Well, I grew up with the NES, Genesis, Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, PlayStation, and a gaggle of PCs, and there tended not to be much overlap with the games we got for them. Hardly any, actually, now that I think about it. But one example in particular that stands out is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; I had both the NES version and the--shudder--DOS version. (The really messed up thing is I actually loved the DOS version when I was 6 or 7. I just thought it was hard as f@#$ and it was up to me to get better at it; it never occurred to me that it was just broken as f@#$. Young, dumb, and stupid. :P )

Another example was Alien 3, which I had for my Genesis and also got for SNES when I bought my buddy's old system. They're actually really different games from each other, though, even though they share a lot of similarities. (Fun fact: Alien 3 was the last new Genesis game I got before stores finally dropped 16-bit platforms.)

And I did retroactively get Resident Evil 2 for Nintendo 64 five or six years ago, even though I had the PlayStation version.

As far as the early '80s systems go, I didn't start acquiring any of those until the late '90s and early '00s, long after they had died out. But since I've been collecting for most of those systems for 20 years now, I've got many versions of the same games. For instance:

Centipede - 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, Coleco, Atari 400/800, TI-99/4a, Apple II, Commodore 64.
Frogger - 2600 (Parker Bros. version; no Supercharger version yet), 5200, Intellivision, Coleco, Atari 400/800, Commodore 64, Apple II, and frickin' Timex Sinclair.
Ms. Pac-Man - 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 400/800, Apple II, VIC-20, Commodore 64, TI-99/4a, NES.
Zaxxon - 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Coleco, TRS-80 Color, Commodore 64, possibly Apple II.
Defender - 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Coleco, Atari 400/800, Apple II, VIC-20, Commodore 64, TI-99/4a.

Edited by BassGuitari

During the 80s?

The only ones I double dipped on were Star Raiders and Defender, both were replacing 2600 versions of the games with 5200 versions.

During the 90s?

I got multiple ports of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II. But it also starts getting more complicated because of acquiring used copies of games for really cheap, as well as compilation discs.

Past that point?

It gets too many to count or even generate a reasonable guesstimate.