IGNORED

Best way to charge a PS3 controller not on a PS3

Rick Dangerous

It is not the cables. The PS3 controller is looking for data pins to complete a handshake. The usb ports on a smart tv or a pc have the pins and will charge. The apple wall charger and random cheapo chargers don’t have the datapins so the handshake cannot be completed and the controller won’t charge. Some nicer usb chargers have the pins, you have to check.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought two of these off eBay, 10ft PS3 charging cables.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10FT-Short-Wireless-Controller-USB-Charging-Cable-For-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3/202711409465?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Under 5$ each and I can then have the controller plugged in while I am playing. Which is handy as one of the controllers I have has a weak battery and is only good for about an hour and some of use before it dies.

I can just plug the cable in and then keep on playing while the controller recharges if I want.

• 1 month later...

the thing is the ps3 controller needs a usb 3.0 outlet to charge, and won't work with usb 2.0 outlets. Many charging bricks, lcd tv's, routers, printers the ps2 and ps3 use usb 2.0 which can only charge usb 2.0 compatible cables, laptops, computers, smart tv's the ps4 and new devices use usb 3.0

here's the difference http://itexpertvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/table-USB.png

• 1 year later...

I also don't believe it has anything to do with the cable.  The same cable that works to charge the controller from the console won't work with a standard charger or port on a laptop.  Those same chargers and laptop ports work to charge anything else.  I also don't think I've ever encountered a data only USB cable.  I've definitely had some that provide power, but don't work for data.  I can even imagine intentionally producing a cable like that to be used exclusively for charging.  However I can't imagine many cases where I'd be able to use a cable that only provides data lines.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:19 AM, EZRAX097 said:

the thing is the ps3 controller needs a usb 3.0 outlet to charge, and won't work with usb 2.0 outlets. Many charging bricks, lcd tv's, routers, printers the ps2 and ps3 use usb 2.0 which can only charge usb 2.0 compatible cables, laptops, computers, smart tv's the ps4 and new devices use usb 3.0

here's the difference http://itexpertvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/table-USB.png

You're suggesting that a PS3 controller can only be charged using a port that the Playstation 3 never had.

However plugging a USB 2 cable into a USB 3 port will certainly work because the latter is backward compatible.  Hence if the PS3 controller were able to charge off something other than a Playstation 3 it would be able to do so off the newer port as well, using a USB 2 cable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kartag said:

I also don't believe it has anything to do with the cable.  The same cable that works to charge the controller from the console won't work with a standard charger or port on a laptop.  Those same chargers and laptop ports work to charge anything else.  I also don't think I've ever encountered a data only USB cable.  I've definitely had some that provide power, but don't work for data.  I can even imagine intentionally producing a cable like that to be used exclusively for charging.  However I can't imagine many cases where I'd be able to use a cable that only provides data lines.

You're suggesting that a PS3 controller can only be charged using a port that the Playstation 3 never had.

However plugging a USB 2 cable into a USB 3 port will certainly work because the latter is backward compatible.  Hence if the PS3 controller were able to charge off something other than a Playstation 3 it would be able to do so off the newer port as well, using a USB 2 cable.

1st post on AtariAge to get into the PS3 controller charging debate - PREACH ON!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All I can say is that I use the cables that came with the controllers and charged them off the PS3 itself. I'm pretty much the only gamer in the house most of the time, so I always had one charging off the PS3 while playing with the other controller. If there were times I needed to charge the 3rd controller. Then I would attach it to the front USB port on my PC while the rest of us played. I've never had any issues with charging the controllers in this manner. In fact, very recently I happened to fire up the PS3 for the first time in a few years and... well there is some work to be done. The battery has died inside the console as I had to redo the date/time and reregister it back to my PSN account etc. before I could even play anything on it. So that needs to be done PDQ. But it also worries me as in the future, Sony isn't likely to allow reregistration of a PS3 in that manner and so...what happens then ehh? Guess that is when I read up on how to jail break it so I can least play the games I own for it when that time comes.

9 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

@-^CrossBow^-

Sony patched that out. You must be on an old firmware

Patched what out? The ability to charge from the console? I don't know. Until very recently I hadn't powered on my PS3 for over 2 years. But I did power it on the other night to find that my battery has died inside it and I had to re-register it and all that jazz to my PSN account before any games on it would even load. It also required a system update which I let it run. 

Why would they patch out the ability to charge the controllers from the console? I do the same from my PS4 as well and that has never been an issue. I also use the WiiU to charge the WiiU pro controller? Is there something new here?

6 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

@-^CrossBow^-

I should have been more specific. With the newer firmware verisons you dont have to connect to PSN to play games after your battery dies/ gets disconnected 

Are you sure? Because it required me to do that after it did the system update? Here is exactly what took place...

I power it on for the first time in like 2 years because I had another system on that I didn't know was turned on and was trying to figure out how to switch my inputs to see what was actually left on. I turned on the PS3 on purpose so I could see when it was switched on etc.

It had the screen to enter the time/date. I did that and then it automatically said a system update was needed and downloaded installed the update. It eventually came back to my PS3 desktop screen and noticed that I had my Okami disc in the drive. I went to fire it up and it gave me the message stating I needed to reregister the PS3 and sign back into my PSN account before I could run this game. So I did all of that and it was working.

You're saying I shouldn't have had to do that after it updated itself? I did check to see if there were anymore updates and it stated none were to be found. But I do find it odd that the Wi-Fi settings apparently are stored in non-volatile RAM since the date/time was lost but yet it had no issues attaching to my Wi-Fi to get that system update. So now I'm curious to know how much else is non-volatile in system settings?

• 2 weeks later...