IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

I bought a pair of these awhile ago but only recently had the opportunity to try them out. I was disappointed with the dpad on some initial playing, overall the controller feels like its good quality, but my dpad seems to hit the up direction a lot unexpectedly when I press either right or left.  This makes it a bit of a buzzkill for using with games that require precise inputs like Raiden or the fighting games.  Looking at other responses in this thread I opened the controller and tried to nudge the pcb around a bit, but I didn't really notice a difference from that first casual foray into repositioning things.

Then I tried the second controller that I bought and the Dpad is basically perfect, it feels more responsive and is easy to do precise movements and diagonals without triggering unexpected directions.  I guess I'll play around with the first one some more. The components are obviously good enough to have a good result, but maybe somewhere in the assembling process the components got a little off kilter. All other buttons on my two controllers work perfectly.

I tried these with a jaguar to USB controller adapter on my PC.  They work fine with that adapter, which is this one:  http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Saturn said:

Thanks for the link. I just bought 2 of these and 2 cables :)

Works great with the Phoenix Jaguar emulator.  I have also been playing several non Jaguar games with the pro controller lately. One of them, the dodonpachi series of space ship shooters on Mame allows you to fire bullets if you tap a button quickly, and a laser if you hold that same button.  Many other games in this genre do that as well.  Interestingly enough, that works fine if I set that ability to A B C or X on the controller, but Z and Y are not as responsive and in fact no matter how I tap the Z button it doesn't register properly in the game to fire the bullets (it will either do nothing because I tapped too quickly and it didn't seem to register a connection in the controller, or it will fire a spurt of the laser because I tapped slower and firmly pressed the button in, which was enough for the game to assume I'm starting to hold it down).  Not sure if it's a controller button responsiveness issue, like if the rubber membrane in the controller is a little bit off from where it needs to be to connect the circuit on the buttons pcb, or maybe an issue with the jag adapter and not the controller.  In this case it's easy to work around because most games in this genre are two or three button games and I can configure those to use the good buttons, but could be some slight issues if you want to use the top row as your main action buttons, or if you want to use for six button games and are expecting the same level of responsiveness from each of the six buttons.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, Saturn said:

Thanks for the link. I just bought 2 of these and 2 cables :)

Just got these in. They look like Raphnet's adapters, the outer materials at least. Nice Jaguar decal.

Will try them out asap 😛

p1.thumb.jpg.4c85971e79397bf062749946d6e6d3b7.jpgp2.thumb.jpg.d3fc09cd72bf452d6952305b3efa3f84.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:03 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Looking at other responses in this thread I opened the controller and tried to nudge the pcb around a bit, but I didn't really notice a difference from that first casual foray into repositioning things.

If the d-pad is slightly off and triggering the wrong directions, the common fix I have applied is open the controller, slightly loosen the lone center screw on the circuit board, slightly rotate the board counterclockwise (left side goes "down" towards the keypad, right side goes "up" towards the cable connector) and hold, then tighten the center screw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...