IGNORED

Looks like a scam to me?

ACML

Someone in Israel is selling an 8-bit cartridge that says it plays 70 5200 games. Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-800-XL-XE-XEGS-Multi-Game-cartridge-with-70-ATARI-5200-Games-carts-inside/132385309953?hash=item1ed2c78501:g:vlsAAOSwBT9ZtjoE

None of the photos show any kind of menu to select a game (alarm bells).

Anyone hear of such a thing? Me thinks its bogus.

Edited by ACML

ndary is the name of a proper Atari elite, his goods are unique and when stated authentic... my only concern... I thought he was State side atm but it says shipping from Israel. You off course can easily look at his feedback.... I have never had an issue with anything he has done or said to date... a stand up man!

NOT A SCAM

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

Yep, Nir Dary knows his stuff, and is indeed from Israel, like others have said, probably something like a self-programmed AtariMAX Flash Cart from his curated collection of software - in this case games that were ported from the 5200 to the 8-Bits.

Nothing really that you can't otherwise find online and put together yourself... You're paying for the convenience, thats all.

He covers all the latest hardware mods and devices over at his youtube channel "The Modern Atari 8-Bit Computer" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmzjD_biYJ5hQf-MoK9Ztcw

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 4

How is it legit if he's selling copyrighted software with the cart though? I know Nir is a respected Atarian but that is technically illegal as far as I know. It's no different from selling a CDR with the top 10 albums in MP3 format.

How is it legit if he's selling copyrighted software with the cart though? I know Nir is a respected Atarian but that is technically illegal as far as I know. It's no different from selling a CDR with the top 10 albums in MP3 format.

I only said it was legit based on the OPs question as to whether it was a scam or not. I can see your point as well as I see many people selling original Xbox or modded PS2s preloaded with emulators and yes, thousands of games to which they do not own the rights to on ebay all the time. It frustrates me because if I were to mod one and try to sell as well with emulators I would be competing against them offering you all of these games while I wouldn't so it would be pointless for me to even try because of this because I will not include ROMs that I don't have the legal right to put in a console.

But as far as what the question was no he isn't scamming the ebay buyer out of any money.

Wow. How could such a cool item be out there and there are no hits on Google? Stephen said it was new, so that must be it. Has my curiosity as to how you select what game you want. Looks to be in an OEM Atari cartridge case. Anyone buy one yet?

hi all

This was a project that started from a special request of an Atari friend that use to own a 5200 console...

to goal was to play all Atari 5200 games from one source on the 8bit machine

In the cartridge there are 70 Atari 5200 converted games, New conversion... and the rule was to be faithful to the original 5200 cart with the exception of using

a Digital joystick instead of the analog one.. (these are not the Gleen 5200 conversions Inside)..

i did not use a MAX FLASH cartridge but a special made PCB created for this task with switch 16k bank switching (not 8k)... and only few cart where made.

if you search facebook forums, you will find posts with pictures and game play expectance of a guy that that got this cartridge...

you can select a game from a menu, using the joystick or keyboard...

It was not intended to break any copyright rules, or to make people here upset.. the Ebay post was ended.. and the remaining cart will not be offered for sale.

• Like 15

ndary is the name of a proper Atari elite, his goods are unique and when stated authentic... my only concern... I thought he was State side atm but it says shipping from Israel. You off course can easily look at his feedback.... I have never had an issue with anything he has done or said to date... a stand up man!

NOT A SCAM

absolutely spot one. all-round honest and true.

as regards being stateside - he's been back home from his holiday a week or so

I would say that the description of the item was not very clear and contributed to the "scam feeling"
For me, It was not obvious that it is a specially designed new cartridge that just looks like classic Atari cartridges.

If I just briefly see the picture and the description, it seems to be one of the "too good to be true" item. I see something that looks like an old original Atari cartridge for 8-bit Atari computers claiming it contains 70 Atari 5200 games... This sounds a false "scam alarm."

Edited by baktra

It was not intended to break any copyright rules, or to make people here upset.. the Ebay post was ended.. and the remaining cart will not be offered for sale.

This is disappointing as I had been following the progress of this cartridge since it first surfaced on the Facebook page and had the eBay auction in my watch list before this thread was started. It is a very interesting project, largely because these are all completely new 5200 to A8 conversions. I can only hope that these files make their way into the hands of the A8 community at large in the form of individual BIN or CAR images (or maybe even one large CAR file of the whole project) for use on multi-carts like the Ultimate or for people to make their own AtariMax compilations with.

• Like 6

In the cartridge there are 70 Atari 5200 converted games, New conversion... and the rule was to be faithful to the original 5200 cart with the exception of using

a Digital joystick instead of the analog one.. (these are not the Gleen 5200 conversions Inside)..

If technically possible it would be great if the binaries could be made available to the community.

• Like 2

I really love people in the retro scene calling out other's technical violations of copyright on works that have been effectively abandoned.

You do know casual copying, even without payment, is "technically" illegal as well under federal criminal law. Now tell me with a straight face that every piece of software you have is a legal copy.

What needs to happen here is that the files should leak out, and the cartridge could be sold here in a programmable state.

• Like 4

I really love people in the retro scene calling out other's technical violations of copyright on works that have been effectively abandoned.

You do know casual copying, even without payment, is "technically" illegal as well under federal criminal law. Now tell me with a straight face that every piece of software you have is a legal copy.

What needs to happen here is that the files should leak out, and the cartridge could be sold here in a programmable state.

Ely was simply stating a fact. It isn't the same in Ndary's case because he was selling a cartridge.

But for example if you had an NES classic that you want to sell online and you post it on ebay and someone else has modded one and added 1000 games to it and want to sell it for the same price. Now sure you could mod yours as well but you are trying to be ethical(and legal I should say) so you don't do it and instead you just list yours as is. It isn't fair that you lost your sale to someone who broke the law, and put games on there that weren't theirs to put on there in the first place. Now sure some people might would rather buy a system that hasn't been messed with over one that has but that was just an example. I don't see a problem at all with putting emulators and such on consoles and whatever a person does when they get it after is their business(illegal maybe but for them to worry about), but coming into a marketplace competing against others unfairly is the problem. That's my opinion I don't care who likes it or not.