IGNORED

JagZombies

WAVE 1 GAMES

I don't like doing this sort of thing but it looks like I've ultimately been forced into responding to this thread regardless., what a shame.

It is not a rail shooter. The x position of the zombies are always random. It is however timer based like you said.

eBay sales have stopped because the game is undergoing a ROM revision.
Things that were pointed out here such as graphics tearing, game speed and crosshair collision are the things I would like to improve with this revision.

Somebody posted my picture of Ants being temporarily discontinued. That game has been temporarily discontinued because additional content is being added.

That's not fair at all.

The screen tearing was unquestionably noticeable by anyone. Not a single person should have to say anything in that regard because it's so obvious. I mentioned game speed being an issue endlessly. Crosshair detection was my number one complaint, every single time. Making it seem like none of it was mentioned or even noticeable until it was pointed out in this thread after the fact is really shitty.

Everyone needs a game tester who won't hold back, and tell them "this is crap, it's wrong, and I don't like it" to make their games better.

Thanks, Remo ;)

If they don't listen, what difference does it make.

Hes trying to fix it so dont pile on him guys

I self publish my own titles and have been a software tester (and beta tester for game making products). If you need pre release feedback with impartiality just give me a hollar Jeffrey Bones.

For the record, I never held back. I gave constant and very critical feedback and stated it was absolutely not ready multiple times. I'm not sure what anyone else could have said to have made this magically better. A tester (myself) cannot be held accountable if the practice is to follow suit of 90's Atari in pushing something out the door in similar fashion regardless of the state it is in and completely avoiding to address any and all concerns constantly raised throughout the testing process.

Carry on...

• Like 4

Gemintronic, on 27 Aug 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:snapback.png

I self publish my own titles and have been a software tester (and beta tester for game making products). If you need pre release feedback with impartiality just give me a hollar Jeffrey Bones.

For the record, I never held back. I gave constant and very critical feedback and stated it was absolutely not ready multiple times. I'm not sure what anyone else could have said to have made this magically better. A tester (myself) cannot be held accountable if the practice is to follow suit of 90's Atari in pushing something out the door in similar fashion regardless of the state it is in and completely avoiding to address any and all concerns constantly raised throughout the testing process.

Carry on...

Whoa buddy! Not an indirect slight on you or your feedback to the original poster. Just thought if Jeffrey needed someone totally unrelated to his current peeps I would try and help. I genuinely did not mean to disrespect you.

UPDATE: Maybe "current peeps" is not the right description. I don't know who the heck he works with or listens to. Just thought he might be less reactionary to someone unknown to him.

Gemintronic, on 27 Aug 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:snapback.png

Carry on...

Whoa buddy! Not an indirect slight on you or your feedback to the original poster. Just thought if Jeffrey needed someone totally unrelated to his current peeps I would try and help. I genuinely did not mean to disrespect you.

UPDATE: Maybe "current peeps" is not the right description. I don't know who the heck he works with or listens to. Just thought he might be less reactionary to someone unknown to him.

This definitely wasn't meant as an attack to you in response, sorry if you took it that way. This is just more of explanation and probably part frustration on my part considering the amount of time I pushed back and then loosely named as a tester -specifically- "Clint tested it, so there's that!" as if I put my seal of approval on it, which I did not.

• Like 9

Clint,

I would like to publicly apologize to you for saying your name in this thread. It was wrong of me to say your name at the time that I did as it could be understood by someone that I was trying to say you 100% approved of the game and said it WAS OK.

In fact I double backed on that comment went JagChris said I was trying to throw you under the bus (which I was not) I stated clearly that you did NOT approve of the final version of the game that I released.

I was not saying your name as a means of justification for any errors found in the game.

In fact I was only saying your name to begin with because:

A) Lost Dragon asked if you were playtesting the early versions of the game

and

B) Bats don't avoid horizons and I was attempting to point out how unimportant that thing was.

But for the record to anyone who does not understand, Clint did not approve of the game at all. He DID tell me some things to which I ignored.

I'm sorry I said your name.

This definitely wasn't meant as an attack to you in response, sorry if you took it that way. This is just more of explanation and probably part frustration on my part considering the amount of time I pushed back and then loosely named as a tester -specifically- "Clint tested it, so there's that!" as if I put my seal of approval on it, which I did not.

I didn't, but, best to make sure we're cool :) I'm honestly jealous of how much feedback Jefferey has had.

Just do what I did, and insist on not being listed in the credits as a tester.

• Like 3

Maybe for the next game, it won't be the same unfinished crap product, with numerous people saying what needs fixed before being produced on a cart and sold, then recalled. WTF man. 3 times in a row, this has been going on for what - over a year now?

There wont be different versions and revisions. When its done its done. Thats why im encouraging people to playtest here like Clint has. To address bugs and unwanted effects early on.

And just so you know the price point for the red carts is $45. Not $60. It was going to be a surprise but since you just have to ask about pricing so early on.... Way too early to be talking about that.

@Jeffrey:I actually said i was confused just where this project had gone astray somewhat and had appeared on a retail cartridge as you had Clint play testing it..

This is my comment from a few pages back:

'I'm still rather puzzled where things came off the rails somewhat with this one, Clint Thompson was play testing the early versions, sound coding advice was being given and hopes were high.'

This was based on the post above you had made.

You stated you were encouraging the likes of Clint to start play testing early so the bugs could be found and fixed before the games release...

Yet a clearly unfinished version appeared for sale.

Clint himself had made clear he was play testing it:

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 PM

Something is still happening on the left side with one of the newly spawned Zombies. Like the 4th or 5th one you shoot in the middle and not only does it kill him but it also kills the new one on the left. There's a zombie on the right that you can't kill now until he actually reaches the screen, crosshair never turns red. Also, the crosshair for the barrel is no longer red but works - but it only killed the back row of zombies and the two standing directly next to it lived. There has to be a way to make the red crosshair target move with the animation of the characters. It's like on the very very edge of the zombie but then when they move left, it's still red and you're actually shooting off the character yet he still dies (and at this point, so does other zombies as well)

This is where I quit playing about 4 minutes in because they can't be killed, as you can see the crosshair is directly on the zombie....

Not being privy to the testing process, the games appearance for sale left myself and others somewhat puzzled.

But for the record, i had no need to ask if Clint was play testing it on your behalf, both of you had made that very clear.

Edited by Lost Dragon

@Jeffrey:I actually said i was confused just where this project had come off the rails and had appeared on a retail cartridge as you had Clint play testing it..m

This was based on the post above you had made.

You stated you were encouraging the likes of Clint to start play testing early so the bugs could be found and fixed before the games release...

Clint himself had made clear he was play testing it:

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 PM

Something is still happening on the left side with one of the newly spawned Zombies. Like the 4th or 5th one you shoot in the middle and not only does it kill him but it also kills the new one on the left. There's a zombie on the right that you can't kill now until he actually reaches the screen, crosshair never turns red. Also, the crosshair for the barrel is no longer red but works - but it only killed the back row of zombies and the two standing directly next to it lived. There has to be a way to make the red crosshair target move with the animation of the characters. It's like on the very very edge of the zombie but then when they move left, it's still red and you're actually shooting off the character yet he still dies (and at this point, so does other zombies as well)

This is where I quit playing about 4 minutes in because they can't be killed, as you can see the crosshair is directly on the zombie....

Right.

I was just answering your question confirming that he did test it. I should have never mentioned his name and ignored it altogether as now clearly you were making a statement and it wasn't a question afterall.

Anyway he did NOT approve of the game>

ALSO ALL of that stuff from that 11-19-2017 post is old news. That is not happening anymore the zombies can be killed and you don't have to wait until they reach the screen. Although the crosshair lighting up is not 100% perfect as another member WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS pointed out, you can still hit every single zombie. You are not going to run into a point in the game where you are like

"Damn, can't get it to light up. Damn what do I do. Do I remain still and wait for it to light up or do I move it around and see what happens. Damn I'm so confused I'm gonna die..."

Regardless of the errors that have been pointed out HERE AND ELSEWHERE you are not going to be facing a point where the game just wont work.

"it doesn't work, they won't die, corsshair doesn't line up"

Nope. It still needs work but some of the screen caps in this thread make it appear that the game does not function at all.

Mine was a genuine bit of feedback a few pages back and i stand by it.

Just take your time on projects and don't feel you have to get anything out by a set date.

There is an awful lot of talent on here to dip into, from coding advice, play testing and of course your games intended audience.

If you take only 1 or 2 bits of feedback from this thread , i would humbly say the 2 to go for are:

1) People are more than prepared to wait for a finished project.

2) Take the offer of help when it comes to coding.

You look at some of the biggest commercial games out there over the years, sure coded by Team...X but they were over seen by ...used routines or game engines supplied by.

As i said earlier, i appaulde anyone who attempts coding, let alone on the Jaguar.

It must be a frustrating venture at the best of times and i wish you the very best for your future ventures.

• Like 1

The dissapointment of Saturn HOTD still haunts me.

Daytona was rushed, Sega Touring Car just awful, it mattered not.

The 1 game i wanted Sega to do in house and do justice with was HOTD. ..

After the 2 fantastic Virtual Cop conversions, to see HOTD rushed out in such a sorry state...

Shame on you Sega.

I think a lot of folks simply wanted your title to be spot on with this one.

The inital level (Moscow Alley) did get a lot of us drooling at the prospect of what could be done.

• Like 1

The dissapointment of Saturn HOTD still haunts me.

Oh god... I'd forgotten about that..

I remember rushing to Electronics Boutique after college to get that.

Got it home and was violently ill down my shirt.

It's like they invented some kind of special ultra low rez mode, just for HOTD.

A wretched attempt.

• Like 1

Retrogamer magazine did a mini-interview with Warren Hawkes, artist on Saturn HOTD, admits they were on a tight schedule, but visuals had to be cut down severely, with only the bosses having any reasonable amount of detail and the games visuals do look primitive by today's standards.

Talk of cutting polygon counts down by having effects like explosion's and blood done as sprites, textures cut down to 4-bit palettes.

RG are for the casual reader, but they could of pushed harder as the Saturn version was simply awful.

In other news if you haven't already done so, please click the link in my signature for the free copy of Fast Food 64 PC Edition. Its very well polished, all of the bugs from the Jaguar version are gone and best of all it's FREE!

YOU CAN'T BEAT FREE!

Jeffrey-

You really should go back and finish the Jag version because we had a lot of fun with it until the frustration of the bugs killed it. I would to love see you go back and make a finalized version, two player mode was a blast but as it sits it's unplayable. If you fix it, and do it right, I will buy another copy. It could be a really fun game!

This is a great point for you to move on and release quality/fun games. You have some good ideas, just don't rush them out and take feedback as "help", not "hurt"!

• Like 1

If you fix it, and do it right, I will buy another copy.

Please don't. I understand you're trying to be supportive and encouraging, but this is sending the wrong message.

By saying that you're willing to buy a second copy, you're telling that releasing unfinished/buggy games is not only OK, it's also a great way to make people pay twice (or more) for the same thing.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 9

I think I asked something(s) forever ago, I'll ask again...

...Why is there a need to rush the games? What's the hurry? Why set release dates before the games are done? Why is "near enough" considered good enough, then there's he need to "fix" obvious bugs and issues?...

Isn't it all just more...stressful doing it this way, rather than properly, once, rather than having to fix things once you consider a project "done"? Plus you'll learn more about balanced game design, programming techniques etc that you can incorporate in future projects.

One a related note, here's a very recent "demake" (from the Demake Jam 2018) of Virtua Cop. It's very playable and it might be worth noting some of the gameplay mechanics and level design ideas (which are obvious and present despite it being fairly "simplistic"). https://helpcomputer.itch.io/metro-cop

Edited by skip
  • Like 4

Jeffrey-

You really should go back and finish the Jag version because we had a lot of fun with it until the frustration of the bugs killed it. I would to love see you go back and make a finalized version, two player mode was a blast but as it sits it's unplayable. If you fix it, and do it right, I will buy another copy. It could be a really fun game!

This is a great point for you to move on and release quality/fun games. You have some good ideas, just don't rush them out and take feedback as "help", not "hurt"!

Im not planning on working on the original FAST FOOD 64 anymore. I already remade the game and improved it drastically for PC.

I am planning to do a sequel called Fast Food 64: Back For Seconds which will have closer to FF64PC game modes and mechanics, but will also introduce entirely new modes like build a burger mode and food PONG.

However

I haven't even started on this project yet, except for writing ideas down and getting the graphics ready.

Right now have my hands full with JagZombies