IGNORED

Which short lived system would you like to see be remade?

simbalion

Probably pure fantasy, but if you could have one of the systems that got cut short on life remade, which one would it be? Some got cut short due to bad design, others got cut short due to the video game crash and/or a crowded marketplace.

My choice would be the very short lived, but I think innovative Entex Adventurevision! This is a tabletop system I really wish had a longer lifespan and better sales than it did. As it sits now, the surviving units are basically curiosities only people with some decent disposable income can even justify owning. (At least the Vectrex got out the gate with more units and games!).

The current resurgence of handheld games and mini/tiny arcades has really had me thinking about this system. If I was to 'reboot' it, I would definitely keep the original looks. Of course, the mechanical LED design would be replaced with a true, more modern color LCD. The four original games would be built-in, with both improved arcade graphics modes and an 'original' mode that would duplicate how they would have looked and felt on an original Adventurevision. I'd keep the cartridge slot (hey, could make a few more multi-carts with more games and keep it fun) and I would try and add an extra controller port to make two player games possible and possibly a driving controller for something like Pole Position.

Anyways, I know it probably wouldn't happen in this jaded gaming world, but it's fun to dream. So, what would be YOUR system? :)

• Like 3

I thought the Atari Lynx was really neat: multiplayer games, lots of graphical tricks like scaling and rotation, and a bunch of Atari Games arcade ports. It felt special at the time, and the games looked way nicer than the Master System style of the Sega Game Gear. A cheap dedicated handheld like the AtGames portables with a miniature handheld version of the Lynx (more screen, less bulk) would be fun. Better screen and battery life, all the released games onboard, and maybe a few surprises.

• Like 4

I have to admit I liked the Lynx probably the most of the atari hardware I've tried out and the only one I've not laid my hands on was the 5200 at a retail location if not with some friend. Lynx did a mall tour back in the era and I probably stayed at it for a good hour with a few games and then many years later we did get a Lynx PC emulator and that was fun too. The games were solid, just it was like GG a battery sucking nightmare and didn't get a heap of third party support as GB just dominated. Lynx and GG too were quite a bit of fun with their own first party games primarily more or less.

If ATGames did that Flojo I'd buy it. Given so many Lynx games had the atari hand in it, it wouldn't be lacking too much on a solid line up. I've got the GG Arcade Gamer portable which is a closed SMS/GG system and it's fun.

• Like 2

An Xperia Play 2 would get my vote.

I've only used mine as a handheld, never as a phone. It's a convenient all-in-one retro handheld as long as you can stand the disadvantages of Android emulation. An updated design with a faster CPU would be awesome. It wish Sony could even port a few PS2 games like how the original had PS1.

• Like 2

The Atari Lynx should have broke even/took a small loss and launched at the same price or right next to the same price as the Gameboy.

It was superior in everyway but battery. Including games, for the first few years. Atari should have supported it more in late 94-95 as it had the most potential for growth and revenue but Sam said "all hands on the Jaguar, the console we can't even produce enough units for huurrr" yeesh.

2. Would be The 7800. Literally just go to the ST devs and say port your games to the 7800. Boom problem solved.

3. Xbox. The original Xbox could have launched at a cheaper price and/or dropped quicker with if they switched out Nvidia with a different SC. This would have also allow more money for more experimental titles and to buy exclusives away from Sony like Sony did to MS.

Virtual Boy, emulated on the New3DS and the Switch. With the Switch since it can't do the 3D, just sell a pair of classic red tint 3D glasses with a plastic frame to them in a custom box and have the whole (as much as licensing allows) library of games on a multicart sorta like NES Remix was done.

Totally agreed, though I would prefer a more rugged version of the original hardware. VB was an amazing system, which didnt really find an audience in time.

• Like 1

I'm going to say Vectrex as well. It's the only system among the ones mentioned that has a display or other properties that can't be replicated through non-physical means. With that said, I do wonder if doing Vectrex on a 4K HDR display might be able to pull off the type of facsimile that would also make having an original system unnecessary as well. I'm skeptical, though.

• Like 4

(At least the Vectrex got out the gate with more units and games!).

The vectrex. Man it would be sweet to have a color vectrex.

I'm going to say Vectrex as well. It's the only system among the ones mentioned that has a display or other properties that can't be replicated through non-physical means. With that said, I do wonder if doing Vectrex on a 4K HDR display might be able to pull off the type of facsimile that would also make having an original system unnecessary as well. I'm skeptical, though.

I liked the Vectrex in the day, up until emulation got good enough that I didn't want the humming, boxy thing in my house any longer. The bright straight lines of the vector screen aren't quite as impressive now that we have super high resolution screens that can draw without aliasing. The Vectrex's diagonals were a lot more amazing next to the blocky rasters of the 1980s.

When played with a wireless controller on the iPad, Vectrex Regeneration is like a thin version of the Vectrex. I think it's cool to have it in my pocket on the iPhone as well. I suspect that's as close to a "remake" as we're ever likely to see for this console. Unlike many other retro remakes, this has been maintained and updated so it works in the 64-bit-only iOS 11.

I am a sucker for new games that use the old vector style. Most of them are just flash but Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (playable on almost every modern platform) is the real thing and I'm glad it exists. Whoa --- I just realized it's 3 years old now.

I will also vote for the Vectrex. I have one, and although emulation is very good, nothing can quite replicate the display.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of anyone ever manufacturing those big B&W tubes again, but it would be cool.

The Virtual Boy via 3DS or similar is a lot more realistic. I've always wondered why Nintendo didn't port over two or three of the better games - that Galactic Pinball is terrific.

Do I only get to pick one?

• Vectrex. For the reasons mentioned in other posts.
  • Amiga CD32. The platform had potential. Too little hardware was released (especially in North America) for developers to push the machine or port / upgrade existing Amiga games.
  • Microvision. Existing hardware has not lasted. Make a version with all released games built in.

The Virtual Boy via 3DS or similar is a lot more realistic. I've always wondered why Nintendo didn't port over two or three of the better games - that Galactic Pinball is terrific.

I wouldn't mind if they remixed some of that stuff into a meta-game like Wario Ware or NES Remix. I don't think I need the full games, but a little flavor just to remember would be fun. Seems like VB is the Star Wars Holiday Special of Nintendo console history, though. They don't much like to acknowledge that it happened.

• Like 1