IGNORED

Donkey Kong Arcade Accurate NES Port

I was thinking of saying the same, awful player at DK as I was hoping to see another stage.

It's amazingly well done for what it is, author looks to fix the flicker and add 2 player. I dislike it's TATE mode only as rolling over a TV is not always an option for a lot of people. Having it as a choice would be exceptional, even default it there if need be. But it is free so can't complain really unless it's constructive. I can see this going to a real game given all the other warez carts sold these days with stolen prototypes from boards/carts people buy as they don't own the code.

I believe there already is a version for the NES that has the cement factory level. I think it was only released on the European virtual console for some anniversary. It's included in the Smokemonster rom pack for the Analogue NT Mini. I've played it several times. I don't think arcade strategies work with it. I will have to check this new hack out and keep an eye on it's development.

Edited by Sneakyturtleegg

I believe there already is a version for the NES that has the cement factory level. I think it was only released on the European virtual console for some anniversary. It's included in the Smokemonster rom pack for the Analogue NT Mini. I've played it several times. I don't think arcade strategies work with it. I will have to check this new hack out and keep an eye on it's development.

Yes it came with one of the Wii consoles only released in Europe (the red one I think). It was just a hack to the original DK NES cart, but it did add a few details like Donkey Kong climbing the ladder. Not arcade perfect, but still pretty close.

Donkey Kong Original Edition is what you two are talking about and yes it was a Wii UK release originally from their online shop. Later it did come out in the US though. I don't believe the old game ever was on a cart, but in the same line of arcade do-overs Europe alone got also Mario Bros Classic Edition I think it was called, and they added the missing visuals, intro cut scenes, and the rest to the old Mario Bros arcade game - retiled the graphics to match it as well. That one is a well made upgrade they (like DK) could have shamefully been done from the start had they not cut corners to go with a smaller storage chip size.

I watched the long video from the NES forum post, and it looks like the game mechanics are spot on. The programmer said he converted the Z80 arcade code to 6502. This is very interesting to me because I have been curious if the arcade code, which runs in a 60hz loop, could be directly ported on a 6502 machine while maintaining the same loop time. When I did Donkey Kong XM, I kept the original 7800 ports 20hz loop for game and graphics updates. This created some trouble for me because of the way the arcade version handles animation and collision detection. I'm considering a port of Donkey Kong II but want to directly port the arcade code to 6502 and keep the 60hz update. I would only update the graphics to keep the screen horizontal. I don't know how many CPU cycles per frame the NES has available compared to the 7800, but based on this work, I'm hopeful that it might be possible.

• Like 2

As a big fan of the arcade game, IMO, any purported accuracy of certain ports through the years has been nothing but an illusion. Some of those ports may visually resemble the arcade game, but for any serious fan of the latter, the little strategies and tactics for the various screens are so vital to the experience that any version failing to replicate them is a failure.

If this version becomes the first to carry over those nuances to a home platform then I guess that is kind of neat, but… in the age of MAME… why?

Arcade DK is the real thing. It's funny that NES and Colecovision versions ever seemed close enough to me.

Wait, the arcade version doesn't have green hammers? :? :P

Serious;y though, we didn't have Mame to boot up and compare it to, so they seemed as good as we remembered the arcade to be.

Edited by zzip

If this version becomes the first to carry over those nuances to a home platform then I guess that is kind of neat, but… in the age of MAME… why?

Converting straight up arcade code to home platforms has been done before, even with Donkey Kong. Here's an earlier example for the Color Computer 3:

• Like 2

As a big fan of the arcade game, IMO, any purported accuracy of certain ports through the years has been nothing but an illusion. Some of those ports may visually resemble the arcade game, but for any serious fan of the latter, the little strategies and tactics for the various screens are so vital to the experience that any version failing to replicate them is a failure.

I was just typing this when Bill made his post. Here is more information on the Coco Donkey Kong translation. http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dk/index.html

The best part of his work is Donkey Kong Remixed, playable in Mame. http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dkremix/index.html

Atari and Coleco would never had have access to the source code back in the 1980s. Any Donkey Kong that was written from scratch would have no chance of duplicating the arcade gameplay. What we're talking about here is original code translation to a different CPU; that has a chance of the original gameplay being duplicated. And finally if the target machine has a z80 CPU like the coleco vision or MSX than true code "porting" is possible. If I'm not mistaken, original code "porting" is currently a work in progress for coleco vision.

Yes, my point exactly. If I wanted to study Donkey Kong, I'd have to bike out to an arcade to have a look. I got to play little enough ColecoVision at friends' houses that I was too wow'ed by the HIGH RESOLUTION GRAPHICS to notice any "small" disparities.

Back in the early 1980's I had no clue that arcade Donkey Kong had a cement factory (conveyor belt) screen. I think I got to the elevators screen once; if I watched someone else get to the cement factory I would have remembered. I had heard the Intellivision version had only two screens and the word on the street was to avoid it at all costs. It was obvious the coleco vision donkey kong proportions were off, but before coleco vision we had such low expectations for home arcade conversions it really did look amazing.

edit:

The original 1983 NES Donkey Kong is still very good. I wonder how they got something as simple as the location of the hammer on the first screen wrong. I'm guessing it was not a code translation of the arcade game. Remember that Nintendo did not write arcade Donkey Kong, it was programmed by Ikegami Tsushinki and they had a couple of copyright disputes over it.

Edited by mr_me

You mean such small disparities, like when certain ports changed DK's position and reversed the screen? :lol:

attachicon.gifcoleco kong.jpg

Seriously, what's up with that? Vic-20, 2600, C64 and the TI all had the correct orientation. Atari A8, Intellivision and ColecoVision... what's the excuse for changing it up so? Programmers liberty or discretion?

And yeah, that CoCo example has been out for while. Least that one doesn't have you changing the orientation of your screen just to play it! lol

Donkey Kong arcade had a vertical CRT.

So when producing a home port, I think the choice was do you make it vertically correct and have 6 levels, or do you take advantage of the wider screen and limit it vertically?

If you notice, the first level of the 2600 doesn't go the width of the screen. I have a feeling if you took advantage of the widescreen and still kept 6 levels, it would look weird. Maybe there's a version out there that would prove me wrong. But I think this is the reason for the discrepancy. They chose one approach or the other.

• Like 2

I saw some shump fanatic guy's video on YouTube or whatever a while back and saw he had a TV affixed to the wall in a vertical orientation specifically for tate games and was gobsmacked over a) having not thought of that myself and b) being able to have money / space lying around to have a monitor or tv specifically for tate games. Of course, money and space is the lament of the video game collector and especially the shmup enthusiast... :D