IGNORED

Official*Video Game Box Protector* Cross Reference & Info Repository Thread

stupus

Haha, no not being mean ;)

Just my comment on how easy it is to overlook threads here at atariage with so much going on.

I wish I had seen yours it would have saved me so work on finding those :)

Yes the 2600 ghost busters fits in the fat box Activision size I mentioned above! I think it's the only title that size for the 2600 but there were about a half dozen that size each for the 5200 and colecovision.

I was very happy to find 1 that works. They look perfect in them! :)

Another guy is supposed to be in the process of making protectors for the 7800 big box games...if he gets them the epyx games should fit in those...they will just be wider than necessary I think.

Micro vision I have not looked for protectors yet....it's probably unlikely 1 will work but who knows.

The 1 I want most now is protectors for the long box original magnavox odyssey games.

Right noway I use 2 intellivision protectors put together and attached in the middle.

Not great but looks OK on the shelf and helps protect them for now.

Rca s2 games and the clones fit in game gear boxes with a bit of extra room...but look good still displayed.

• Like 1

Haha, no not being mean ;)

Just my comment on how easy it is to overlook threads here at atariage with so much going on.

I wish I had seen yours it would have saved me so work on finding those :)

Yes the 2600 ghost busters fits in the fat box Activision size I mentioned above! I think it's the only title that size for the 2600 but there were about a half dozen that size each for the 5200 and colecovision.

I was very happy to find 1 that works. They look perfect in them! :)

Another guy is supposed to be in the process of making protectors for the 7800 big box games...if he gets them the epyx games should fit in those...they will just be wider than necessary I think.

Micro vision I have not looked for protectors yet....it's probably unlikely 1 will work but who knows.

The 1 I want most now is protectors for the long box original magnavox odyssey games.

Right noway I use 2 intellivision protectors put together and attached in the middle.

Not great but looks OK on the shelf and helps protect them for now.

Rca s2 games and the clones fit in game gear boxes with a bit of extra room...but look good still displayed.

Thank you for the tips! Appreciated! :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to mention: the Channel F box protectors are a perfect fit for the german clones: Nordmende, Saba, ITT.

Since Grandstand, Barco, Emerson and Japanese are standard american games with some paperwork or stickers added I think its safe to assume they work alright.

Cant say about Luxor (swedish clone). Never seen those. Maybe e5frog might enlight us?

Edited by lazzeri
  • Like 1

Hey Lazzeri! Good info! You inspired me to sit down and add the many, many awesome updates I was behind on!

They are all added now!

*Incredible new highlights include:

custom rca s2 game box protectors!

Atari 7800 big box protectors!

Odyssey 2 big box board game protectors!

Atari 5200 loose cart protectors!

Fat box activision protectors for Colecovision/5200/2600!!

2600 Adult game protectors done and will be available for order soon!!

2600 Phaser Patrol protector!

Please support these wonderful folks who have funded the making of all these custom sizes to help us protect our treasures and pieces of history!! :)

So I got my samples of the atari 2600 adult protectors yesterday.

They look outstanding and are an awesome fit!

Also the 1 big box rca studio 2 game school house 1 will also fit in them.

A tiny bit of extra space for it but still looks great and wonderful to have something for it.

The pal video gems games also fit in them but the protectors are thicker than needed for them. But there was really no good option for them besides the vectrex protectors and these are a better fit than those.

Dan from retroprotection.com said they should be up on the website for order by Sunday night. So check there soon especially if you preordered some! You won't be disappointed!

post-26050-0-36666000-1520125180_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So today I got my order of new protectors in from mortoff games.

Great news the atari 7800 protectors for the big box absolute games are a wonderful fit and look great.

They also are a perfect fit for some of my c64 games from Activision and Lucas games...fits maniac mansion perfect!!

I don't have a lot of boxed c64 stuff so they might work for other games or other big box games for other computers etc.

Happy to hear other fits anyone finds.

Also his odyssey 2 big box board game protectors fit great and look great.

Nice to have these as those games always want to open up when you handle them.

A bit of sad news on the rca s2 protectors. He did not know the games came in 2 box style production runs and vary in size ever so slightly.

Unfortunately the protectors he made were done off of 1 of the later boxes and the early boxes don't quite fit in them.

So the ones where the printing is right on the cardstock fit his protectors.

But the ones that are a thicker stock with a sticker with the graphics applied over the box will not fit in these protectors.

Good news is I am sending him 1 of the early style Monday and he plans to do another batch that will fit them!

I am also sending him a microvision game, a mattel Aquarius game and a colecovision clam shell game and he plans to make custom protectors for these as well!!!! :)

Just the standard size with a regular open box without the huge hangtab.

I have seen those as well but dont have any myself. I think they are fairly rare so probably not feasible to make a separate protector for.

• Like 1

Glad it's been helpful to you. I have been very happy to find all these and wanted to share with everyone here :)

So there have been protectors made for the standard 2600 box....but I am not sure anyone currently has them for sale.

Kollectorprotector on eBay had 2600 ones and I bought 1...wish I had bought more as I think he is out now.

I think Dan from retroprotection is having some made but I have not asked him about them recently.

I know on the nes deluxe set Dan said the box for it is so big it might surpass what size his supplier can make.

I think the 5200 box would also probably fall into that category with it's size unfortunately.

I know I really want a protector for my nes deluxe rob set as well.

I might end up making a wood box for it with a plexiglass front if nothing else can be done.

Stupus, do you think there´s any interest on protectors for MSX games? I´m trying to sort it out since they come in an OBSCENE amount of sizes. :-(

I´m trying to protect at least the ones on cartdboard boxes, specially the "ouch that´s expensive" ones. :-)

• Like 1

BTW, as you probably know there´s a huge number of 8-bit European home computers from the 80s that use cassetes as storage.

(like this: http://www.lazzeri.online/vg/MSX/IMG_8633.JPG)

And there´s a huge collecting scene for MSX, Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, BBC and such. I´ll check with Dan if he thinks that´s a profitable niche. :-)

• Like 1

I haven't collected msx....way less popular in the US.

I would think there may be some already made cases that might fit some of them though.

I think I have 1 msx game.

I have no idea on all the sizes for it.

The new 7800 big box protectors do fit some big box computer stuff.

I have some Commodore stuff and they fit Activision and lucas games and some ea stuff is a close fit.

The 2600 epyx games also fit in them perfect on height and thickness...Just about an inch wider than necessary. But you don't see that on the shelf.

These are the only protectors I know of the epyx games can fit in.

• Like 1

I´ll keep searching. At least Konami cardboard (some of the most expensive games around) are a perfect fit on Atari standard protector.

What about APF? Found anything useful for loose and boxed games? :-)

Sorry to keep bothering. ;-)

• Like 1

I never seem to get a show us your collection thread done.

So here is a preview of my pre nes USA stuff. Nearly all in protectors now in shelves I made around thanksgiving. I used arcade cabinet t molding on all the shelf edges :)

post-26050-0-64442200-1520389608_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-08343600-1520389651_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-17330000-1520389713_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-39406000-1520389744_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-66799700-1520389797_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-95664300-1520389765_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I´ll keep searching. At least Konami cardboard (some of the most expensive games around) are a perfect fit on Atari standard protector.

That's good! Game gear can be a good size for smaller boxes.

For apf boxed I currently use vhs protectors. Not perfect but pretty good. Similar to how they are for the 2600 mythicon games ;)

I have not tried anything on the loose carts yet....I will check them!

I love to chat about this stuff! No worries! :D

So here is a preview of my pre nes USA stuff. Nearly all in protectors now in shelves I made around thanksgiving. I used arcade cabinet t molding on all the shelf edges :)

That is just beautiful. Congratulations!

• Like 1

:-o Wow :-o Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So I just checked and it looks like either the atari 5200 loose cart protectors from retroprotection or the new rca s2 box protectors from mortoff games would be the closest fit for apt carts and Acadia. (Only the short carts on both)

The 5200 are the right thickness but about 1/4" too wide and 1/2" too tall.

The rca s2 box protectors are the right width but about 3/16" too thick and about 3/4" too tall. ;)

Edited by stupus

• 2 weeks later...