IGNORED

Official*Video Game Box Protector* Cross Reference & Info Repository Thread

stupus

• 2 months later...

Here are my new best finds!

They are obscure items but really cool and great to have protected especially the big repro game kit!

These are homevision items for the 2600.

The repro game kit fits exactly in the xenoblade protector here:

https://retroprotection.com/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Wii-U-Special-Edition-Box-Protector-1-360.htm?categoryId=-1

And the big clam shell boxes that homevision used as well as other clamshells like some odyssey 2 homebrews came in as well as vhs clamshells fit in the star wars vintage figure boxes. There is a bit of extra space but close and they present nice. Those old clamshells also get brittle so nice to give them a little extra safety:

https://retroprotection.com/Star-Wars-The-Vintage-Collection_c277.htm

post-26050-0-15797900-1528760235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here´s another nice find: Genesis loose cart protectors are a absolute *perfect* fit for cassete games. It´s actually hard to see the protector itself.

https://retroprotection.com/Sega-Genesis-Master-Cartridge-Protectors-10-Pack-265.htm

This way you can protect your Supercharger games - or your european computer stravaganza! :-)

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Big fan of this thread. Have been using it for some time! I've very recently gotten into XEGS collecting and was curious - has there been a box protector created for those "blue box" XEGS games? Or can someone point me towards a protector that will fit? Thanks!

Thanks! Glad you have found it useful! :D

So it's funny as just yesterday I was putting protectors on some games in a bin and in there was the 1 cib xegs title I own and I noticed the taller and wider size of the box.

I will try and check this weekend on what might fit it.

I am thinking probably the vectrex protector but they will probably be a bit wider than necessary.

They are what I use on my vic 20 games which if I recall are about xegs size.

I will report back with my findings.

I am still trying to convince Dan to do 1 or 2 custom sizes for oversize boxes.....hopefully we can make them happen at some point.

Thanks!

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

Thanks! Glad you have found it useful! :D

So it's funny as just yesterday I was putting protectors on some games in a bin and in there was the 1 cib xegs title I own and I noticed the taller and wider size if the box.

I will try and check this weekend on what might fit it.

I am thinking probably the vectrex protector but they will probably be a bit wider than necessary.

They are what I use on my vic 20 games which if I recall are about xegs size.

I will report back with my findings.

I am still trying to convince Dan to do 1 or 2 custom sizes for oversize boxes.....hopefully we can make them happen at some point.

Thanks!

Oh wow, stellar timing! Definitely let me know how it looks in the Vectrex protector, and if you wouldn't mind posting a pic of how it looks in that protector, I'd appreciate it!

As you know, William from Mortoff Games was awesome enough to create the Atari 7800 Absolute "Big Box" protectors a few months back, so if need be, we could potentially reach out to Mortoff again, too. William actually sold the business a month or so ago, but I've been in touch with the new owner and have placed an order since the ownership change without issue.

Yep, great timing for sure.

I will take a pic in the best fit I find.

Yes William had told me he was closing up and then later he was selling the business.

I saw it's been back online but have not placed a new order with the new owners. I did notice the odyssey 2 standard game protectors more than doubled in price which I was disappointed to see as I found other uses for them and needed more.

Right before he closed up I had just sold him an Aquarius game, microvision game and colecovision big box game at discounts as he was planning to make custom protectors for them as well as the odyssey 1 games.

Hopefully he passed these on to the new owner and maybe he could make these custom sizes for us all here.

I think the xegs games might be the size of the 2600 epyx games too.

A general protector for those games that are tall and a bit wider than post and another that could fit the really large big box coleco games and infocom game boxes would be great too.

Good stuff. Feel free to PM me if you'd like the new owner's contact info. She reached out to me in response to a general inquiry I submitted through the site a few weeks back. She might be able to answer what happened with the Odyssey 2 protectors (maybe a supplier issue?) and also whether she's in the know about the games you had sold to William for the new protectors.

Hey,

So I found 2 options for xegs....which appear to be the same size as vic20 boxes.

They are the vectrex protector from retroprotection or the vintage stars wars figure protector also from them.

Neither is a perfect fit but I personally prefer the vectrex protector as it's exact height and just a hair over on thickness. Then they are about 5/8 too wide. But if displayed on a shelf with the spine out you don't see this.

The star wars 1 is closer on the width but also too tall and too thick.

I don't know if a protector made that fits just xegs and vic20 would be popular enough to get made....trying to think of other things this size.

I thought the 2600 epyx games were this size but they are slightly taller still while the width and thickness looks the same.

Here are pics in the vectrex protector.

post-26050-0-49615500-1532296743_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-20129400-1532296756_thumb.jpg

Here is in the vintage star wars figure:

post-26050-0-21606100-1532296783_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-03995000-1532296802_thumb.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the info. I agree that of the two, the vectrex protector is the way to go. That said, I went ahead and shot an email over to the new Mortoff Games crew to see if this is something they would consider getting made. The way I put it was, if William got the Absolute 7800 "big box" protectors made and they only fit four games, then making a box protector that fits 32 official releases is a no-brainer! If all else fails, the vectrex protectors wouldn't be too bad, but getting a perfect fit would be that much better. Will keep you posted on what they say.

• Like 1

Yes, William was very open to making any protector. Maybe this was part of his downfall?

But it's definitely worth asking.

And they could fit the vic20 boxes, not sure how many there are of those but a good deal I think.

Maybe they also fit c64 brand cart boxes....i dont think i have 1 to check though....

Looks like Vic 20 is:

8 9/16"x 6 1/8"x 31/32"

So making 1 that can fit both would be appropriate in my opinion.

Doing 1 that is like:

8 5/8"x 6 1/8"x 1 1/16"

I think would be good to fit both nicely.

Maybe somebody could check a c64 cart box or any others anyone can think of.

• Like 1

Colecovision Fisher price titles and small cardboard box spinnaker titles would also fit in this size but would have about 1/2" of extra width.

But it would be the best fit available for them as currently the vectrex protector is the best for them as well and it's even wider at about 6 3/4" wide.

Going thru all my other pre-nes stuff I can't find anything else that would need that xegs size. So unless anybody else can think of any of check a c64 cart box like I mentioned....I want to say they are the size of vic20 boxes but I don't seem to have any.

Also to note big box c64 stuff by Activision, lucasfilms like maniac mansion and at least some EA stuff will fit in mortoffs big box 7800 absolute protectors perfectly.

Update: I reached out to Katy at Mortoff Games, Dan at Retroprotection and Buzz at Buzz and Bingo's Moon Circus. All seemed willing to make something happen, but Buzz seemed most enthusiastic about the project and he said that he's placing a general order with his supplier next week and will have them create some samples for him as part of that order. He said that they'll be available to purchase from his eBay store within two months. He also said he'd keep me updated on his progress throughout.

Sounds like we may soon have a solution!!!

• Like 1

Hey there... Can box protectors for consoles be added to this list? I've got protectors for:

• O² (I see you show that one)
  • Original Atari 2600 (not a perfect fit, but close)
  • Original release Sega Genesis
  • NES Action Set
  • N64

We need console box protectors for lots of systems:

• Fairchild Channel F
  • APF MP1000
  • Emerson Arcadia 2001
  • Sega Nomad
  • Sega GameGear
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Bally Astrocade
  • Atari 5200
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • Magnavox Odyssey (original)
  • Magnavox O² "The Voice"
  • Sega 32x
  • Original Sony Playstation
  • RCA Studio II
  • NEC TurboGrafx 16
  • Atari 7800
  • Original XBOX
  • NEC SuperGrafx
  • Microvision handheld (games too!)
  • Colecovision
  • Coleco Telstar Combat
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Coleco Telstar Arcade
  • Mattel Intellivision ECS
  • Mattel Intellivision Synthesizer Keyboard
  • Atari Stuntcycle
  • Original Atari Pong
  • and on and on and on...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sure anybody please add any links you find for system boxes!

There was ones made for the 2600 but I think they are out of stock now. I know kollector protector had made them....wish I bought more than 1.

Dan from retroprotection.com sounded like he was going to make some for 2600 soon.

I think some console boxes push the limits of the max size for the protectors. Like Dan said he didn't think 1 was possible for the nes deluxe set.....which sucks.

I think 5200 would fall in that category too.

I know Dan at retroprotection.com does have ones for PlayStation, n64, GameCube, Wii....

I think some of these are just too obscure to ever have hopes of being made.

But ones for at least colecovision and intellivision would be great. They are pretty popular.

I have considered making wood cases with plexiglass fronts for some of these and possibly even selling them. I just don't know if shipping cost would make them cost prohibitive....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for Box protectors for the following TI99/4a games, any help would be appreciated.

ROMOX - Hen packed and Anteater

TIGERVISION - Espial and Miner 2049er

PARKER BROTHERS - Q*Bert

ATARISOFT Big Boxes - Defender, Shamus etc.

ATARISOFT Small Boxes - Pole Position

Kind regards

Andy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for Box protectors for the following TI99/4a games, any help would be appreciated.

ROMOX - Hen packed and Anteater

TIGERVISION - Espial and Miner 2049er

PARKER BROTHERS - Q*Bert

ATARISOFT Big Boxes - Defender, Shamus etc.

ATARISOFT Small Boxes - Pole Position

Kind regards

Andy.

I have next to nothing in box for the TI99/4A other than a few utility type softwares and they are packed away. So I cant verify those games.

If you provide some exact box measurements I can let you know any options. Chances are there is stuff that will fit them.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I had surgery a couple weeks ago and been recovering and busy since :)