IGNORED

Is there any way to fix an INTV II controller?

atari2600land

I just spent the last hour getting the stupid thing open. Finally did it. Another hard part was putting it back together. But it's odd: Once I put it back together, the side fire buttons started working again, much better than before.

Good to hear , its working better...

I just spent the last hour getting the stupid thing open. Finally did it. Another hard part was putting it back together. But it's odd: Once I put it back together, the side fire buttons started working again, much better than before.

Congrats on the successful operation.

Isn't there an old saying, "you have to break it so you can get it working correctly"?

A flashback is 129.99.. wow!

The last Intellivision Flashback that sold on ebay went for $46. I've seen them go for as little $20.

Try contacting IntellivisionProductions.com and see if they have any controllers left or plan on getting more. It's expected that more flashbacks will be made for fall 2018.

I use the OfferUp and the Letgo apps quite often and the Intv Flashbacks can be found for $10-20.

Unfortunately for you Jinks, there are not that many users up in Canada, so within the app you can change the location to your nearest US city, or try various cities, and see if there are any one selling a flashback

Edited by fdr4prez

I use the OfferUp and the Letgo apps quite often and the Intv Flashbacks can be found for $10-20.

Unfortunately for you Jinks, there are not that many users up in Canada, so within the app you can change the location to your nearest US city, or try various cities, and see if there are any one selling a flashback

Unfortunately all flashbacks seem to be usa only.

Never seen one in any store ever.

Can the controllers be converted to work on the orignal intellivision?

Flashback controllers can work with the original Intellivision using a simple connector adapter. You can get adapters from IntellivisionProductions.com or have Nurmix make them for you or make them yourself.

When the Intellivision Flashback came out in 2014, they were sold in Canada through Bed Bath and Beyond stores. They have been sold out for a while now. Hopefully more will be made in 2018. I wonder how many Flashbacks were manufactured in 2014.

• 2 months later...

I could use a little help with an Intv II controller. First off, thanks to m-crew for posting the YouTube video at the top of this thread. It's perfect for getting an Intellivision II controller open cleanly.

The keypad matrix itself is in nice shape. My problem is the wiring at the top. I'm not getting a reliable connection on one or more wires. Is there a trick to getting a good connection on one of those wiring harnesses? What style is that called, anyway? The wire goes between two "blades" that cut through the insulation and hold it in place. I'm sure there's a tool for that, but I'm stuck using small screwdrivers to push it down. Every time I re-do a connection, some other part of of the keypad doesn't work right. Would it help to tin the ends of the wires and then seat them?

Also, can the mylar "easily" slide out of that connector so I can work on it, or is it sandwiched in there permanently?

post-39531-0-79377000-1516922208.jpg

• Like 1

Is the problem moving from pin to pin or is one paticular pin consistently a problem? I would check continuity along the cable from connector to DE9 for each wire to make sure the cable is good.

I have a multimeter, so I can check that. Is there a good diagram of which colors or connector positions correspond to the female end of the plug?

You might have to go through them one by one, This is what I have for the sears controller, Intellivision II could be different and cable colours could change. Pin function should be consistent for Sears and Intellivision II. Remember pin 1 on the female DE-9 is the top right.

DE9 Sears Intellivision
1 green (left/row4)
2 lime (up/row3)
3 orange (right/row2)
4 red (down/row1)
5 brown (ground)
6 white (sideAC/col1)
7 grey (sideBC/col2)
8 black (sideAB/col3)
9 blue (diagonals)

Unfortunately all flashbacks seem to be usa only.

Never seen one in any store ever.

Can the controllers be converted to work on the orignal intellivision?

They did release the Flashbacks in Canada... now the store I saw them at may surprise you... Bed Bath and Beyond. That's one of the places I saw one. I also still see them at local video game shops that brought in some units. Most recently, I saw an Intellivision Flashback at a local game shop for $59.99 CDN.

Why WalMart didn't carry these in Canada is a bit of a mystery. Although it seems like AT Games is starting to get a bit of a presence in Canadian WalMarts as this past Christmas I saw the Sega Genesis units.

Sometimes in Canada, we must just do the online ordering thing. It makes me really think long and hard about making a purchase. lol But we sure do miss out on a lot.

Yes, with only the one retailer carrying Intellivision Flashbacks in Canada, looks like not many came into the country. They were at BB&B for a while and were easy to get until they sold out. It's why they are hard to find on the secondary market here (eg. Kijiji), where in the US you can get them cheap.

When I went looking for some help in opening that puzzle box of a controller that comes with the INTV II, I found this thread. But it would have helped to see photos of the case parts to know what I was prying at. So I decided to post some here for the next person who needs the info.

This YouTube video, which is also posted above, was pretty much spot on in terms of technique. Use a small flathead screwdriver or two and patiently work at the case. The "hooks" are part of the bottom half of the case, so keep that in mind as you're working your screwdriver. The case will make some scary noises, but it should't break. Here's a photo showing the inside of both halves of the case so you can see where everything is.

post-39531-0-57350700-1517081792_thumb.jpg

When it came time to put it all back together, I got an idea to make it easier and with less chance of breaking off a side button: remove the frame that holds the overlay. I can't be the first one to think of this, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so here goes.

The frame is held on with four hooks at the corners of the keypad. There's also a pivot point just below the disc.

post-39531-0-80044500-1517082033_thumb.jpg

Use a small tool to unlatch one of the frame hooks at the top of the case. Then do the same to the opposite side. Next, release the lower hooks. When you've got all four free, the frame will swing up and come off.

post-39531-0-15312300-1517082197_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-89837400-1517082201_thumb.jpg

Now is a good time to thoroughly clean all three parts of the case, and maybe the disc while you're at it.

post-39531-0-27089800-1517082321.jpg

To close it back up, replace the keypad membrane and wiring harness. Then line up the top and bottom pieces of the case and start working them together. You might have to pry the case a little wider as the buttons slide past. The case will make the same awful noises as when you were prying it open, but when you have everything snapped back into place, it will look like this:

post-39531-0-92085600-1517082516_thumb.jpg

Finally, put the disc and its spring in place. Locate the frame in the hole below the disc and swing it down into position. A firm push will lock it back in place, and you're done.

The whole process is actually so not bad. Just be careful of the side buttons and the little hooks on the overlay frame. Good luck!

• Like 2