IGNORED

Adventures into the Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Tanooki

I didn't see a dedicated thread for this and given the very large scale size of the game especially with all the DLC included in the package I felt it would be smart to start a spot to discuss all things Skyrim. Help, tips, weird stuff, random finds, adventures whatever. It's out Friday (tomorrow) so it won't be long now.

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game ever, though I had been tempted once to grab the prequel Oblivion over on GoG but never got around to it. Having got my fill of Zelda until I want to restart it again since you can't have 2 saves this really caught my interest and more so as I read into it a bit more without going into too much detail to ruin any surprises.

Is it different than PC or other consoles? I mean, it's like 5 years old.

It was my first Elder Scrolls game, got it on PC, and I thought it was amazing. The ability to just do anything you want, yet still follow the story line when you feel like it blew me away. It still impresses me now, with the enhanced graphics release they added for the PC version!

It's the PS4 remaster version so you know with all the DLC ever made rolled up into one little card, no added forced downloads of parts like Doom did a week ago.

Now this is fascinating, Digital Foundry decided to rake a claw over it and came back thoroughly shocked and impressed by it. Unlike Doom the resolution is dynamic based upon what mode you do it in at 720p or 900p docked. The detailing on it is nearly on par with the PS4 but there are instances where a random texture (such a prisoners square mesh tunic is less refined) and for the mid/long draw distance you may get a few less trees or some smaller style of bushes to keep it going and going it does locked always at 30fps.

Totally worth the watch for the comparisons.

I've been playing it pretty consistently since I got off work and I'm amazed as it does match that video well. Unlike Doom it really is totally solid on FPS. The core mechanics and camera are all smooth and easy to handle with no glitches or feel of being dated. I only ran it on the TV the whole time but the visuals really do stand tall and have minimal loss to the PS4 release as the video showed. I've done a few quests so far and a couple of the side quests too. I need to go get my voice training among other stuff. I'm still a little lost on some of the mechanics as it's kind of deep in that way but it's getting better. I like having a partner now too, just hope she doesn't end up dead or stuck as that would suck if they can't come back. All that time they had to work on this previous to the system launch and this far beyond into ths time of year really shows the care they took to craft this into excellence. I've already read some comments online people saying that it crashes and glitches less than the other console based releases too which is nice.

Spent some time with Skyrim yesterday and it really is an amazing port for the Switch. It's been some time since I enjoyed it's world and I was quite close to starting up again with it when I saw the Switch announcement. So I waited betting towards the Switch port being done well and it looks like that bet has paid off - I finally have the amazing world of Skyrim to hold literally in my hands :)

I can see some differences in the port (most notably on close up textures and some sort of SDE which shows itself now and again) but overall it's excellent. Skyrim is one of the reasons I tilted towards picking up a Switch in the first place, and now for that alone it's paid off.

• Like 1

The question I wonder is though if they always have 3.2GB to work with. Skyrim was into development before the system was even finalized so for a stretch they got the core game going under guesswork settings on a dev box PC or android setup of some sort if not just a Android/Shield Tablet based kit for similar settings. I don't know what the memory footprint on the game was anyway but it seems to use it quite well in style as it handles amazing.

SDE? Screen door effect? I haven't tried handheld mode yet but I haven't seen that on the tv.

I think that's just one of those divisive questions that are up to each person who comes across it. Steam you don't own it, the other 2 are what they are and depending on what system you own you have a choice. The Switch one basically is there if you want it because you only have that system and/or want it in comfort away from a TV or PC screen.

Liked the game on 360, played the hell out of it. Put nearly 600 hours into it. Then I started various main quests, and every one was broken in some way. Years later I tried it again and with the updates, the quests were still broken. I wouldn't mind playing it again, by now it should be fixed.

I miss the weapon/armor maintenance though. Building your own stuff is cool though.

Edited by Video

The only thing broken I've hit would be this one subquest I did in a tomb, you have to kill this necromancer screwing with this family tomb with the guy who tasked you to do it. He got killed seconds left into the battle to finish it in the last area. It still finished and I got the goodies, but since the dude is dead it's also still listing as active in my list (him surviving in text says OPTIONAL) and I can't remove it which stinks.

I did have the game oddly crash the other night once, not sure really what caused it or why but it kicked up an error and back to the title. Outside of that and an occasional scratching sound with some sound effect (not sure which) it has been tight all around.

I'm up to lv11 or 12 at this rate. My partner lydia got killed by a snow troll while going to talk to the bearded guys about my talent. I've been branching out not really doing so much the main quest unless it's near by but all the weird junk that just pops up while also trying to survive running around the map just to see what's out there.

Free house eh? Sounds interesting.

Yep, it's pretty easy too.

Standard Elder Scrolls tactic. Murder a non-respawning NPC, and take over his house. Just don't put items in the containers.

No this one's a bit different, no murder involved and it's actually your own house :)

Once you are offered the opportunity to buy a house (and have the money required):

- go to the person and make sure they are standing next to a container

- start the buy dialog, say yes (and purchase)

- immediately abort out of the dialog tree

- immediately open the nearby container and store all your gold in there

Time it right and you will get the house key/deed and your gold can be retrieved back out of the container.

Some will consider it worth it to have a proper portable version of the game.

I didn't think of that aspect, but it is probably best I do not have a portable version of this game anywhere near me. I started it on the PS3, but gave up with the game crippling bugs at the time. Did a lot on the 360. No computer in this house can handle the SE version, so I am playing it on the Xbox One. That is many hours, so it is probably best I have some sort of limit... can't play unless I am at home :-)

I take it I need to look whatever you're talking about up if it's that bad.

For a spoiler free answer - if you're near the extreme NW edge of the map (near Northwatch Keep) DO NOT get on the boat at Icewater Jetty if you have yet to complete the Bloodline quest.

You will screw up access (and possibly progression) to the Dawnguard expansion story line if you do. So yeah that is bad...