IGNORED

Running Dos Games From Hard Drive

Byte Knight

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a barely-used Platinum IIe and wanted to fill my MicroDrive HD up with games. I ran across this HD image which is loaded with DOS games, including my favorites from Broderbund, that you can run from ProDOS using the program DOS 3.3 Launcher:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/time-out-for-some-8-bit-fun-iigs-style/

If you remove the GS startup system file (I forget which one it is) then in boots directly into FastBoot which lives up to its name. 32 megs of DOS gaming goodness!

Attached is the HD image that boots directly to FastBoot.

8-bit Games.hdv.zip

The Apple II is one of the simplest and most bare metal micros around town. Nothing but the processor and memory. In concept one would even say simpler than the venerable VCS. Doesn't even have any audio/video chips. And its circuitry knows nothing of color in graphics or sine waves in sound.

Being what's considered an intelligent peripheral using DMA. The "setup" is even simpler. The card puts the data right into memory bypassing much of the data-bus and software/firmware and CPU. Straight in it goes. No need to meander through mazes of custom chips or be handled by complex CPU-dependent software routines.

• 3 weeks later...

If you remove the GS startup system file (I forget which one it is) then in boots directly into FastBoot which lives up to its name. 32 megs of DOS gaming goodness!

Or ProDOS gaming goodness anyway. There are additional conversions of DOS->ProDOS games that you might want to look for on asimov. I have placed quite a few on my CFFA and use ProSel to make menus to select them easily.

Or ProDOS gaming goodness anyway. There are additional conversions of DOS->ProDOS games that you might want to look for on asimov. I have placed quite a few on my CFFA and use ProSel to make menus to select them easily.

Yes, I recently found that directory on Asimov - very cool! I see that Ultima V was recently added...

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a barely-used Platinum IIe and wanted to fill my MicroDrive HD up with games. I ran across this HD image which is loaded with DOS games, including my favorites from Broderbund, that you can run from ProDOS using the program DOS 3.3 Launcher:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/time-out-for-some-8-bit-fun-iigs-style/

This HD image not only has just about every Integer Basic based games and programs that works under Prodos, but a huge collection of file based games just to add to your collection.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/collections/Int.Basic.Pdos8.2mg.zip

• Like 1

This HD image not only has just about every Integer Basic based games and programs that works under Prodos, but a huge collection of file based games just to add to your collection.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/collections/Int.Basic.Pdos8.2mg.zip

Very cool - thanks for sharing!

I don't like the FastBoot menus, they're... weird. When I scroll the screen seems like it doesn't refresh right, like only the middle entries change while the top entries stay static. I wish there was a way to rearrange everything, but I'm not sure how Alex even put that collection together in the first place.

Is anyone else having trouble with Ultima V? The in game date is corrupted when I try and play, it says something like CC-45-C46 or something like that. The C's should be numbers.

New character.. We're a little busy at the moment so I won't be pulling out real hardware. I did try another version of U5 and still worked ok.

It has been known in "emulation land" that some things will work in emulation but not on real hardware. I may be able to have a buddy test it out, but it would be on floppy disk.

Edited by Keatah

• 3 years later...