IGNORED

520ST and Monitor value question

AtariLeaf

I have an opportunity to purchase a 520ST with monitor from a local game store. I'm told it's in working condition but it doesn't have the cable to attach the computer to the monitor so I'm not sure. Also not sure what else it comes with, I'd have to check. They are asking $70 Canadian for the lot. Is this something I should consider at this price? I see similar lots sell for about $80 to $90US so it doesn't seem to be an out of whack asking price but I'd have to get this monitor cable so that adds to the cost.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 520ST with monitor from a local game store. I'm told it's in working condition but it doesn't have the cable to attach the computer to the monitor so I'm not sure. Also not sure what else it comes with, I'd have to check. They are asking $70 Canadian for the lot. Is this something I should consider at this price? I see similar lots sell for about $80 to $90US so it doesn't seem to be an out of whack asking price but I'd have to get this monitor cable so that adds to the cost.

I've always wondered about those things in the description. Works great, no power cable though, etc. How do they know it works. I mean I guess it is possible they had the cable and the monitor, knew it worked but someone came in wanting a cable and sold it separately, but why do that when more than likely it would be needed to sell the monitor. Stupid. I wouldn't trust it. They probably don't even know for sure it works. They more than likely just hooked up power and saw it come on and that is all the testing that was done, and without the monitor cable they don't know.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 1

True, although I do trust the people at this game store. In fact the employee in question, on his own, made me my current logo and has given me great deals in the past. I'm positive he isn't doing anything untoward. I guess my question then is, assuming working condition and knowing I'll need the cable is it a good price or should I try to negotiate a lower price?

• 2 weeks later...

Very important question... which monitor? It's a rather good deal with a color monitor, but still an ok deal with a monocrome one. But realize most games won't play on a monochrome monitor.

Which leads to another questions... can that particular ST attach to a regular color TV? (Some can, some can't)

I still think thats a good deal period.

Finding a good working monitor - outside of trying to find a modern VGA that will sync down is hard. SC1224 are not a dim a dozen and shipping them is a fortune.

I sold a very good condition monitor Sc1224 for $75 on its own. Now I delivered it, so say maybe $60 .. and the 520st.. is it just the ST? not STF? or StFM?

because without the floppy you are going to have to work either a gotek or something else out, or find an SF314 and those are getting pretty dear now too.

My opinion $70 is a deal - if it all works, so if the monitor cable is removable - then it is a Sc1224 panasonic.. which is supposed to be a good one. If you can get the DIN plug making up the cable is not that hard. OR buy one from Best. Then you can decide what you want to do from there? Memory upgrade? Ultra Satan, or just a Gotek.. if the plan is to just play games on it.

James

Ok so I finally got to return to the game store and take some pictures. Turns out it does have RF out and the monitor has a built in disk drive? There's also a box with a couple of massive power supplies, a couple of books and an Atari ST Language disk, nothing else. Since it does have RF out he will test it sometime in the coming week and we'll go from there. Please let me know thoughts on this model and the monitor and if $70 is indeed worth it, assuming at least the machine works.

post-2493-0-43040300-1512241463_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-26659900-1512241475_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-17930000-1512241497_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-19148900-1512241517_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to hook up a more modern 1.44 PC floppy drive to an ST without a built in drive? It looks like you can with machines with the drives built in but the one I'm looking at just has a cable connection in the back for a floppy drive. Basically I'm looking for the cheapest, easiest way to get programs onto one of these, if I end up buying it and the machine even works. I've looked at things like UltraSatan and some of these other modern equivalents but they look very pricey and I'm not sure this is a machine I want to spend a lot on yet so I'm looking for cheap solutions for the time being.

Ok so I finally got to return to the game store and take some pictures. Turns out it does have RF out and the monitor has a built in disk drive? There's also a box with a couple of massive power supplies, a couple of books and an Atari ST Language disk, nothing else. Since it does have RF out he will test it sometime in the coming week and we'll go from there. Please let me know thoughts on this model and the monitor and if $70 is indeed worth it, assuming at least the machine works.

That PS3000 is super rare (working or not), and $70 is a steal just for that! I want! :-) Edited by mellis

I'm not positive if I'll buy it if I can't find a good cheap way to get actual programs or games into it. I'm afraid it might hit the recycler if I don't though. Not a big call for ST stuff in my area.

If you decided to pass, I will contact the seller if you PM me the store's info. I would definitely be interested.

I own this monitor. The drive is the single-sided type so it's not very worthwhile to use, you want to get a double-sided drive anyway. Does it come with the monitor power supply? They are extremely rare if it doesn't, though B&C or Best might have one. That's where I got mine years ago. I believe the video cable is the standard monitor cable like the JVC SC1224 monitors had.

Edited by tjlazer

UPDATE:

So I went in and picked up the system. Turns out the monitor cable is there and the monitor and drive seems to work just fine. There are two, hopefully minor issues with the ST. The first is that there's a wonky power switch. I have to click it just so for it to come on. The second is the mouse only moves up but I figured out the keyboard keys at least to work around it and test things a bit. If anyone has suggestions on fixes for these two issues please let me know or I'll post a separate thread about it. I'm including pics of everything. As for price it was $70 but I brought in some extra items as trade bait so it was a straight swap. Also I'm capturing the video tape and returning it to the game store. The employee wants to keep that so I just have it get a copy. I thought it was neat and I'll upload it to my youtube channel.

post-2493-0-75772500-1512846503_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-66446000-1512846533_thumb.jpg