IGNORED

HSC14 Round 20: Crystal Castles "XE"

therealbountybob

I was playing earlier and must have accidentally hit a warp cos annoyingly I was transported from somewhere around level 4 or 5 to level 7 and suddenly had 420000 points and 4 spare lives!

http://www.ataricompendium.com/game_library/easter_eggs/a48/a48crystalcastles.html

Secret Warp Tunnels: Level 1 to Level 3 warp - go to back left-hand corner and press JUMP. Level 3 to Level 5 - get the magic hat and JUMP in rear corner of hidden ramp. Level 5 (3rd maze “Crossroads”) to Level 7 - go to back left-hand corner of top wall and JUMP. Depending on how you play your game in the middle levels, a message telling you how to accomplish 1 of the 3 secret warps may appear at the end of your game.

• Like 1

:thumbsup: I've not had any in game messages, anyone?

I'm getting worse, the more I play the more I try and point grab the dots and go for getting parot face - can you get him on the hidden circuit he patrols, the one where you see him appear on 1 side (on level 4 I think) ?

:thumbsup: I've not had any in game messages, anyone?

I'm getting worse, the more I play the more I try and point grab the dots and go for getting parot face - can you get him on the hidden circuit he patrols, the one where you see him appear on 1 side (on level 4 I think) ?

I use the Atari ProLine controller for this game - it works!

• Like 1

A few more bonus games tried out:

Castle Martian (Martian Castle) - Two player game, so I didn't record any score. This is what you get if you combine Tank Battle, Combat/Outlaw and Warlords, i.e. a tank game that takes place in the desert among cactuses and where the goal is not really to shoot the other thank, but destroy the defense surrounding their castle and then blast down the castle. Perhaps fun if you have an opponent. I don't understand where Martian comes into the picture. Hard to set a score, but probably not beyond 4/10 even with an opponent.

Star Crystals - 7620 pts. I suppose this game is inspired by Star Castle. Shoot the bad guy at the bottom, which then is released and opens the gates to the crystal. Shoot the crystal to get points. Repeat a number of times until the crystal is available to catch. The game changes to a maze like screen where you grab the big diamond and then advance to the next level. Perhaps a little repetitive, so 5/10 for me.

Tarkus and the Crystal of Fear - No score. This game from 1992 seems like something you could expect in 1985-86, another platform game with odd references to anything from Christianity to Alice in Wonderland. The screen suggests number keys could be used, but I don't know how it works, and I didn't find any objects to pick up for scoring or any other means of advance. Graphically OK so that would be a weak 5/10 due to curiosity more than playability.

Another couple of bonus games I never got to run so I'm skipping those as I have already tried 15 games beyond the main one, with another 6 BASIC games left to go.

(And yes, I will play some more Crystal Castles later :) )

• Like 1

McKong's pun deserves a bonus point :thumbsup: Great work Carlsson, at the end of the round you can give us your top 3 ;)

latest tables

Crystal Castles XE

1st McKong 383,697 12pts

2nd therealbountybob 355,830 11pts
3rd Deteacher 348,776 10pts
4th RedThunder 173,441 9pts (+2pts)
5th Mister-VCS 66,008 8pts
6th carlsson 14,781 7pts (+12pts)

(bonus game points see 1st post)

Round 21 Poll :arrow: OPEN

• Like 1

392136 failed at 'Impossible Staircase' again!

Try the Possilbe Staircase :D

Have you managed to get the 3K guy on Bertilda's Castle Level 4?

The CCXE sounds are still bugging me so I've asked fandal to take a look as I'm playing same version and it is ok on emulation. Must be a problem with the XEX on the 130XE - anyone else with an XE here got no dot beeps - either clicks or silence (intermittent) and no honeypot sfx?

Try the Possilbe Staircase :D

Have you managed to get the 3K guy on Bertilda's Castle Level 4?

The CCXE sounds are still bugging me so I've asked fandal to take a look as I'm playing same version and it is ok on emulation. Must be a problem with the XEX on the 130XE - anyone else with an XE here got no dot beeps - either clicks or silence (intermittent) and no honeypot sfx?

No haven't managed to get that guy. I'm usually in too much of a rush to finish up the dots at the top of the staircase before the tree gets me!

• Like 1

Crystal Castles XE - 31755 pts

Very small improvements at the bottom of the ladder, but changing the Starplex into a Tac-2 that allows me easy diagonal movements turned out to be an improvement. Perhaps I could learn the diagonal movement with the Starplex too, though it is confusing that the single directions work as well.

Thanks for playing, congratulations to McKong, let's get round 21 started!

:-D

final tables

Crystal Castles XE

1st McKong 398,441 12pts

2nd therealbountybob 355,830 11pts
3rd Deteacher 348,776 10pts
4th RedThunder 236,405 9pts (+2pts)
5th Mister-VCS 66,008 8pts
6th carlsson 31,755 7pts (+12pts)

(bonus game points see 1st post)

• Like 1