IGNORED

Apollo Games Cartridges using eproms

doctorclu

Back in the 80's my Dad enjoyed taking Apollo game cartridges since they were relatively inexpensive and used eproms and would rewrite them. I came across a Apollo cartridge the other day and it had a regular rom on it.

So in anyone aware of the Apollo cartridge productions, when the eproms were used and for how long. Also any way to tell the eprom and rom productions aside from opening the cartridges?

Back in the 80's my Dad enjoyed taking Apollo game cartridges since they were relatively inexpensive and used eproms and would rewrite them. I came across a Apollo cartridge the other day and it had a regular rom on it.

So in anyone aware of the Apollo cartridge productions, when the eproms were used and for how long. Also any way to tell the eprom and rom productions aside from opening the cartridges?

AFAIK, if you see an off white board, it uses EPROM's, the green ones are usually ROM's.

• Like 1

How on earth does it make sense to use EPROMs instead of ROMs in anything other than small runs? Apollo wasn't huge, but they were producing enough that that couldn't have been cost efficient to do that.

They were selling the PCB's to home tinkerers, via Jameco.

post-17994-126148799657.jpg

• Like 2

This subject matter was actually how me & Wiz first met here. And the unfortunate subsequent miscommunication was what inappropriately led to incorrect assumptions which resulted in us thinking we weren't friends.

What? Never mind!

That was CommaVid. :P