IGNORED

The best pick-up-and-play 3DO games

What, in your opinion, are the best "pick up and play" games for the 3DO? Games that you can just jump into anytime.

I will start:

Bust-A-Move

This game is fantastic because you can play until you die, then have the option to save, and then the next time you play you can just pickup where you left off. This game is addicting, has peppy music and bright visuals, and it's easy to add a second player for head to head if you want to.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown. Sort of obvious choices.

Need for Speed. Pretty straightforward release that's all about the Point A to Point B driving.

Trip'd. Basic block-dropper puzzler. Easy to get into.

Note for Bust-A-Move: It gets super choppy in two player. I don't really recommend it for that, but it is solid in single player.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for Battlesport! With a small child I hardly have the time to game like I want to. And a quick pickup and play is about all I have time for. Battlesport is pretty fun with some quick matches. I think they are 3 minutes a match?

I'm glad so many people are showing this one some love. It released on the Saturn, too. It goes by unmentionned all the time and it's really solid in terms of gameplay.

​One other less obvious game to pick up and play is Burning Soldier. It's a crosshair FMV shooter that's beatable in one sitting. I'm not a big fan of the genre, like I wouldn't recommend StarBlade in this topic, but Burning Soldier is definitely a game 3DO enthusiasts should own and play.

​Has anyone mentionned Crash n' Burn here? You can also do a quick race or two without loading your tournament racing file. It's combat racing!

• Like 1

I'm glad so many people are showing this one some love. It released on the Saturn, too. It goes by unmentionned all the time and it's really solid in terms of gameplay.

​One other less obvious game to pick up and play is Burning Soldier. It's a crosshair FMV shooter that's beatable in one sitting. I'm not a big fan of the genre, like I wouldn't recommend StarBlade in this topic, but Burning Soldier is definitely a game 3DO enthusiasts should own and play.

​Has anyone mentionned Crash n' Burn here? You can also do a quick race or two without loading your tournament racing file. It's combat racing!

For sure Crash N Burn is another one! I like StarBlade but agree that's not a pickup and play type. I will have to looking into Burning Soldier, I have heard of it but never played it.

I discovered another one last week that I actually think is pretty fun as well, it is called "Mazer" which has surprisingly good graphics and fun gameplay as well. You can pickup and play and beat levels in under 1 minute most of the time. Also it has endless continues and lives so if you get stuck and keep dying you can replay the levels again and try a new strategy. For a quick pickup game it is great, the only thing that does suck is as you progress there appears to be no save feature for you to turn it off and then come back and retry the level again and again. The furthest I got was up to Level 6 and then there is no way to save from there. You have to just let the "Continue?" timer count down then it will save your high score but the game is over you can't come back to it. Either way super fun and lots of action!

For sure Crash N Burn is another one! I like StarBlade but agree that's not a pickup and play type. I will have to looking into Burning Soldier, I have heard of it but never played it.

I discovered another one last week that I actually think is pretty fun as well, it is called "Mazer" which has surprisingly good graphics and fun gameplay as well. You can pickup and play and beat levels in under 1 minute most of the time. Also it has endless continues and lives so if you get stuck and keep dying you can replay the levels again and try a new strategy. For a quick pickup game it is great, the only thing that does suck is as you progress there appears to be no save feature for you to turn it off and then come back and retry the level again and again. The furthest I got was up to Level 6 and then there is no way to save from there. You have to just let the "Continue?" timer count down then it will save your high score but the game is over you can't come back to it. Either way super fun and lots of action!

This is definitely the first time ever anyone has recommended Mazer hahahahaha. I'll pick it up if I see it at a decent price, thanks.

• Like 1

This is definitely the first time ever anyone has recommended Mazer hahahahaha. I'll pick it up if I see it at a decent price, thanks.

I am actually surprised, I have NEVER seen anything anywhere reference to Mazer either. I stumbled across it and thought wow this is actually pretty awesome! More people should be in the know about Mazer for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a few more and list them? I have limited time to play and love getting through games pretty fast when i only have an hour or less to play. Some of the quick turn and burn games would be great.

I take it you also have a wife and kids? Haha

Yeah...I don't have the endless hours I used to to play games. Maybe 30-1hr after I get everyone to bed and if I still have energy.

2 kids here, as seen in my picture.

​The way our appartment is set up, I can tell you that the headphone jack in the remote is a godsend. It's the main reason my 3DO gets so much action compared to my other consoles. The 3DS get plenty of game time, also for the same reason.

​Let's mention some games then :

Primal Rage. (which by the way is the actual 3rd best fighting game on the system, now that I think about it)

​I've been playing a lot of Star Fighter recently. Beating the game should take days/weeks, but it's definitely worth it to sit down and play for an hour...get 2-3 missions in. It's arcadey and simey at the same time. I pulled the Total Eclipse cd out for future use, too. That's a quick arcade shooter.

​Immercenary feels bigger and longer that's what she said​ than it actually is. I beat the game with a total playtime of 5~6 hours, half-knowing what I was doing. It's a first person, single player, offline-mmo type experience. It can be confusing at first, like you'll die every 2 minutes, but I found it was a very rewarding experience and it definitely has that 90s sci-fi B movie feel and it's not too heavy on 'tude.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I love the American Lazer Games light gun games. Not what most would consider "good" games but they're fun & that's what matters to me. Perfect if you just want to blow off steam for 39 min before bed.

I'd also say Soccer Kid. It's a decent little platformer.

I do have a wife and a 22 month old son, he is so energetic it's hard to find the time to get away and play anything, usually when he sleeps for a nap during the middle of the day.

I tried to play Star Fighter but could not figure out the purpose of what I am supposedly doing and the controls! Definitely tho finding a game I can shop at for 30 minutes to an hour every couple of days and save the progress to eventually complete would be good. I absolutely loved Solar Eclipse for the Sega Saturn so I was happy to buy and try out Total Eclipse, I played maybe an hour's worth last week and got stuck on level 8. That game is challenging for sure as on some levels you have limited hits before you die and have to restart. I wish there was an invincibility code for that game (like there is for Solar Eclipse which was the only way I could beat it after giving up). I need to figure out the gameplay and controls for Star Control 2 as well so i can get further in that game and Star Fighter.

I agree on the American Lazer games, I love those, tho they are super finnicky when it comes to hit detection. I really enjoy Mazer but it isnt one that can be played, saved, and then picked back up. The only way to stop the game it to let the time run out on the "continue" clock and the game ends, otherwise its unlimited lives.

I started playing some Iron Angel of the Apocalypse and got 9 levels in and am a little stuck. But it allows you to save along the way and pick back up which is great. I think the ETA to finish form what I gathered online is almost 6 hours so I would likely feel accomplished if I complete it!

As for Soccer Kid, I played it on the Atari Jaguar and I couldnt get more than 2 levels in. But I did see there are different level codes posted online which could help get a bit further along.

I haven't tried Offworld Interceptor for the 3do but have on the Saturn. I kept dying a bunch and couldn't figure out the purpose of the game. But the concept is cool and I had fun bashing around.

Today I had a bunch of free time while my son was down so I played around 4 hours of Iron Angel of the Apocalypse. As I had enough time to play something for a while. I got through 25 of 30 levels so I'll likely finish it up in the next few days.

Has anyone tried Killing Time and is it a game you can play bits and pieces and come back to is. Same with Escape from Monster Manor?

I haven't tried Offworld Interceptor for the 3do but have on the Saturn. I kept dying a bunch and couldn't figure out the purpose of the game. But the concept is cool and I had fun bashing around.

It's a "Point A to Point B" kind of game. Linear. Just make it to the goal, blow up a lot of crap along the way and pickup power-ups and money. Upgrade your vehicle over the course of the game. Don't die (easier said than done).

Has anyone tried Killing Time and is it a game you can play bits and pieces and come back to is. Same with Escape from Monster Manor?

Technically it's a game where you can play in bits and pieces due to being able to save anywhere you are. The game is non-linear in a way and much more complex than Monster Manor, but the performance is absolutely horrendous. As a result it's an acquired taste. Some 3DO fans really dig it (faults and all), others not so much. I personally really like the atmosphere and what they are going for, but the sluggish performance kills it for me.

It's a "Point A to Point B" kind of game. Linear. Just make it to the goal, blow up a lot of crap along the way and pickup power-ups and money. Upgrade your vehicle over the course of the game. Don't die (easier said than done).

Technically it's a game where you can play in bits and pieces due to being able to save anywhere you are. The game is non-linear in a way and much more complex than Monster Manor, but the performance is absolutely horrendous. As a result it's an acquired taste. Some 3DO fans really dig it (faults and all), others not so much. I personally really like the atmosphere and what they are going for, but the sluggish performance kills it for me.

Evil ducks, tho.

Those 2 games come recommended in videos on youtube as being in the top 10 games for the system. I like games with horror aspects and if they are able to be saved along the way so I can pickup and play again after saving and then push forward in the quest that is good!

What I have been trying to do to see how long the games are, is look into youtube at "longplay" or "playthrough" videos and see how long the video is. That way I know what's a long vs short game to play. But someone who is really good at a game will obviously finish it quicker and not need cheat codes for lives. Hell for Out of This World (which I would love to play and beat) you can supposedly beat in like 20 minutes but everytime I try to play it I get hit once and die immediately.

Killing Time is decent. It's pretty sluggish & just an overall slow paced game. I liked the way they incorporated FMV. Escape From Monster Manor was a good one too. I really liked PO'd a lot. I didn't get into it when I first bought it years ago but after a few months or so I went back & ended up playing through the whole game.

Those 2 games come recommended in videos on youtube as being in the top 10 games for the system. I like games with horror aspects and if they are able to be saved along the way so I can pickup and play again after saving and then push forward in the quest that is good!

One of the things about 3DO fans is what they perceive as "good". If Killing Time had been released on the PS1 in the same state it was on the 3DO, it would be heavily derided today. You see this behavior frequently in other communities that revolve around less popular systems (Jaguar, CD-i, etc), propping games on pedestals that would, on other platforms, be considered mediocre (or worse). That's why I suggest taking others' opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to this platform, and ignore things like "Top 10" lists. Check gameplay footage of games that interest you, then try them out yourself if you feel the urge.

• Like 1