IGNORED

Atari XC12 will rewind but not FF or Play after installing new belt

Arkanoid_376970

Hey,

Grabbed a new belt for my XC12 from MagicKnight and installed it today. After re-assembling the drive will Rewind, but will not Fast Forward or Play. I've disassembled the mechanism again and can't see anything preventing the mechanism from driving forward but it still won't. Any tips guys?

is it doing anything at all when you FF or CLOAD ( like is it trying to turn but just not moving) ?

I had a 410 where I changed the belts and it would always need to "warm up" a bit before it really would start getting traction and adequately turning everything enough to load...and that was after belts replaced.

and what i mean by warm up is either fast forward and rewind a lot, and/or play/CLOAD for a while. Like the belt itself needs to warm up a bit first.

Edited by erichenneke

I think there could be an issue with the direction switch, I tried a CLOAD and after a couple of tries, it worked. This was extremely intermittent however and i can not reliably replicate it. The Rewind function works flawlessly but the play and Fast Forward are being weird. Will pull it apart again

UPDATE: I am now able to get the drive to Fast Forward reliably. The Fast Forward leaf switch wasn't making reliable contact, bent it a little and now it works 100% of the time.

I am still not able to get my drive to Play, however. Does the drive require a signal over SIO to start playing? If so could this mean a bad connection to the relevant pin on the Atari 600XL or broken SIO cable?

From what I can tell by looking at the drive, the Drive actuates a common leaf switch for Play, Fast Forward and Rewind. For Fast Forward and Rewind, this switch is ANDed to determine motor direction. I'm guessing for Play, this switch is ANDed with the command from the computer.

so the post from a while back about bent contact/switches looks to have useful :)

yes it requires sio to command it to play... you can cload from basic then press return or hold start down while powering up then pres return key or you can....

Machine language programs booting from tape:

Hold START+OPTION during cold start of the computer (powering up) then press enter key

BASIC language programs booting from tape:

Hold START during cold start of the computer (powering up) then press enter key

in Atari BASIC programs saved with CSAVE command:

load using the CLOAD command.

in Atari BASIC programs saved with SAVE"C:" command:

loaded using LOAD"C:" or RUN"C:" commands

in Atari BASIC programs saved with LIST"C:" command:

loaded using ENTER"C:" command.

or in BASIC again

POKE 54018,52 and the motor should turn on and play audio etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1