IGNORED

So nintendo has hit a home run with the switch

LutzfromOz

I would like to think they looked at their failed idea, saw they needed something that was not anti-developer (dev friendly) and started with their new R&D team shopping around concepts. They saw Android, knew it could be customized heavily to needs, and got in bed with Nvidia which had realized with their tablet what the WiiU wish it hadn't sucked at on almost all fronts and merged the two concepts into one. It almost seems too convenient not to have some measure of reality to it, even if just a little. The WiiU idea was too early, used ancient enough hardware, and had a horrid programming setup that was very nasty to port games to as well and it got screwed. Had they waited and Switch was the first attempt, you can see the hardware can finally realize the idea.

Nintendo had took the criticisms well and also looked to longer term bulletproof themselves. Consoles are getting to be a harder sell being stuck on the TV as more and more people go towards just tablet and phone gaming, mobility. Switch take that concept and pushes it half way back towards the TV with the dock but doesn't force it. It's a nice middle approach so either kind of person can be appeased with one piece of hardware instead of splitting their resources competing for money between two.

I think the real success of the Switch will be in the 3rd party numbers and if the user base stays active. Nintendo sold a lot of Wiis, but 3rd party game sales always lagged far behind the X360 and PS3. The active user base of the Wii always seemed rather quiet and would only show up for a few titles a year.

• Like 1

That would be a shame, maybe even 50/50 expected. It's no Wii PU, but it may have a Wii thing to it because of how it all works in the end. I think watching Bethesda, Capcom, Bandai Namco, maybe even Rockstar and seeing how their sell through is against expectations we can figure out if it'll dry out around 2019 or not. As long as they turn a profit making not just to get by but worth their efforts it will continue, and if it doesn't then you'll see less stuff along with pick and choose politics too. We as current or future Switch owners need to step up and not act like historical Nintendo retard fanboys who talk game about third parties not making stuff and wanting to buy that stuff, to then run like bitches to every first party offering and nothing else. Do that yet again, and it's over.

The vast majority of the Wiis that sold were sold to people that didn't actually play games however, which is why most of it's user base was fairly silent. There's truth to people saying most Wiis were kept in closets and used as a party game with Wii Sports etc. This was shown by extremely low game sales. That isn't happening this time around however, at least as far as anyone can tell.

The vast majority of the Wiis that sold were sold to people that didn't actually play games however, which is why most of it's user base was fairly silent. There's truth to people saying most Wiis were kept in closets and used as a party game with Wii Sports etc. This was shown by extremely low game sales. That isn't happening this time around however, at least as far as anyone can tell.

Well, the jury's out on that. The Switch's tie ratio (the number of games sold per system) is apparently 3.6 according to Nintendo. That's good for a system at this point in its lifespan, although it's also almost identical to the Wii at the same point.

The Wii started out really strong and then sputtered after a few years. It just fell off a cliff, and that was due to a combination of hardware that seemed practically anachronistic by its third or fourth year on the market, 3rd parties pulling out and Nintendo being super-slow to release first-party games. Also, the novelty of the motion controls just wore off. What once seemed like the future started feeling like a one-hit wonder.

Nobody's got a crystal ball but the Switch definitely has the *potential* to suffer from all those same problems. I doubt Nintendo would complain much even if that happens after selling 100 million Switches, though.

btw, VGChartz has a tie ratio chart that I'm really skeptical of (as I am with all their numbers). But they list the Wii's overall global tie ratio at 9.5, with the Switch's currently at 2.03.

I'm surprised how easy these are to find. Stock troubles eased months ago, but I thought it would start all over again once Christmas shopping started. But Black Friday has came and gone and we're into December now, yet I can walk into Wal-Mart any day of the week and have a dozen or more Switch systems to pick from.