IGNORED

Question about memory on 2600 games

AAA177

I was just curious about something. I was on another thread about Fatal Run and the subject of its 32k memory came up.

What is the limit on 2600 games in terms of memory? I'm not a programmer/computer scientist, so I'm wondering if a 512k game, as an example, could be written for the 2600? Can that memory be added to the cartridges?

Even if the technology was not updated, only the memory, I assume that would offer up so many options. I was thinking that companies like ATGames, or even major publishers, might want to try their hand at making really compelling games for the system and price them at collectible levels. Might be a viable smaller business model.

A game like Montezuma's Revenge, which I assume was larger than 4k without checking, is a great illustration of what I mean. That's a fun, intriguing game. If a very large memory 2600 game were available, what would it be like? What if one of the original Activision programmers had that memory? What if E.T. were remade?

Just some thoughts, anyway...

The largest current games are 64k, though the bank switch scheme made for games of that size supports up to 512k to my understanding. I doubt well ever see a game that size on the 2600, due to the sheer size. Graphics and music take up a lot of room, but how Atari works, even those are really small files.

• Like 1

More memory is possible, even 512K. But you need the CPU power to utilize it. Except for storing a lot of static data (graphics, sprites, levels) there is not much use for such large memory.

You know that is not true, you can program a large game in "level method" with that much memory. CPU is the same, you just got shitloads of room to put code, graphics and audio into.

• Like 1

What is "level method"?

You most repeated what I said, lots of static data can be stored there. As for the code I have a different opinion. Either the code is very redundant, or the game consists out of lot of very individual parts. But then you almost have something like a 128 in 1 cart, where the different parts are (almost) completely unrelated.

And with that approach you could create 1GB carts. :)

• Like 1

And with that approach you could create 1GB carts. :)

Exactly. Each level of the game is another bank, with unique code, or multiples of multiples.

Do you have any idea of how many thousands of ARM-NEON and SSE opcodes I write a week? :P Would never fit inside a cart, so more is always better.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/25/2017 at 12:54 PM, AAA177 said:

I was just curious about something. I was on another thread about Fatal Run and the subject of its 32k memory came up.

What is the limit on 2600 games in terms of memory? I'm not a programmer/computer scientist, so I'm wondering if a 512k game, as an example, could be written for the 2600? Can that memory be added to the cartridges?

Even if the technology was not updated, only the memory, I assume that would offer up so many options. I was thinking that companies like ATGames, or even major publishers, might want to try their hand at making really compelling games for the system and price them at collectible levels. Might be a viable smaller business model.

A game like Montezuma's Revenge, which I assume was larger than 4k without checking, is a great illustration of what I mean. That's a fun, intriguing game. If a very large memory 2600 game were available, what would it be like? What if one of the original Activision programmers had that memory? What if E.T. were remade?

Just some thoughts, anyway...

Check this out.....Atari 2600 Games SuperCharger Add-on - Rare!

Here is the youtube video link: Atari 2600 Games SuperCharger Add-on - Rare! - YouTube