IGNORED

SEGA CDX spins for a moment then stop

johncena1973

Yesterday, i just finally got the adapter for my SEGA CDX. I tried to tested it for 5-7 minutes then i realized that my Sega CDX spins disc for a moment then stop. No matter how i tried to use another disc. It's still not work and the same problem above repeating. Here is the video of it

Does it work OK with a cartridge? CD drive I think uses more power, so this test might also give you information. Test above from keepdreamin is a very good test (make sure to use new, very good batteries for best result). Clean the lens with alcohol. Might also use compressed air to blow all dust away from moving parts. If you know how, test the adapter on its own.

Does it work OK with a cartridge? CD drive I think uses more power, so this test might also give you information. Test above from keepdreamin is a very good test (make sure to use new, very good batteries for best result). Clean the lens with alcohol. Might also use compressed air to blow all dust away from moving parts. If you know how, test the adapter on its own.

I tried the GENESIS cartridge, and it worked flawlessly. Just the CD part not working properly.

I have owned 3 of these units, it sounds like you might have the classic... dead / dying laser.

Dead lasers usually have no effect on carts.

If you cannot play an audio CD like keepdreamin said, would be a good test. If it does not work with that, I bet its the laser.

These units always seem to need new lasers due to age or use, but for some reason they seem to need them, whenever we get on in the store.

Changing the laser is not too hard but be careful, that unit is quite tightly packed and there is this annoying tiny, tiny spring that needs to be changed on the laser that needs to be put in manually. If that spring pops out while changing, its a super duper pain in the rear to find again. Please be careful with that.

There is also a tiny resistor soldered on the copper ground shielding so be careful not to detach it.

The laser is :

Sanyo SF-C93AQ Sega CDX Sanyo 3DO 10 pins Laser lens

The AQ is vital as the regular Sanyo SF-C93 will not work!

As usual the laser will need the solder static blob to be desoldered, just a reminder..

I think this sums up the gotchas that seem to arise.

• Like 4

I have owned 3 of these units, it sounds like you might have the classic... dead / dying laser.

Dead lasers usually have no effect on carts.

If you cannot play an audio CD like keepdreamin said, would be a good test. If it does not work with that, I bet its the laser.

These units always seem to need new lasers due to age or use, but for some reason they seem to need them, whenever we get on in the store.

Changing the laser is not too hard but be careful, that unit is quite tightly packed and there is this annoying tiny, tiny spring that needs to be changed on the laser that needs to be put in manually. If that spring pops out while changing, its a super duper pain in the rear to find again. Please be careful with that.

There is also a tiny resistor soldered on the copper ground shielding so be careful not to detach it.

The laser is :

Sanyo SF-C93AQ Sega CDX Sanyo 3DO 10 pins Laser lens

The AQ is vital as the regular Sanyo SF-C93 will not work!

As usual the laser will need the solder static blob to be desoldered, just a reminder..

I think this sums up the gotchas that seem to arise.

WOW! That was really helpful. And do you know anyone here offer SEGA CD and SEGA CDX repair?(in case something bad happen in the future). Thank you very much, imstarryeyed. I owe you one, pal :-D

No problem johncena1973. I did not know about these units internals until I started working on them. Once you open them up a few times , you will find this is not really too bad to work on.

Whatever you do, do not mess with the laser pots, it is practically impossible to get them to back to where they were even if you mark them. The good news is that you do not even need to mess with those.

I recommend working on it yourself or getting a techie friend to sit with you and both of you all work on it. Once you have the proper laser you can start to see how it goes in and what you need to do to get it in.

In reference to the question about power supply. Try to find the correct one for this unit. Its a sega supply but looks very different than any sega genesis or master system power supply. These units are a bit bigger. The real reason to find the correct power supply is that it is the correct voltage and amperage, which is very very important if you are going to use the CD. A lower voltage unit will strain your unit and can cause problems. The same goes with amps, if you have to construct a power supply go for the 9.5 v with 1.5 or more amps min.

A lot of people are afraid of working on these units but they are not too bad, just kind of packed in.

Here are a few tips I use for any device I work on:

If this is your first dive into it....

1) film or video yourself slowly opening it up and talking about where the screw holes are. This will make putting it back together a breeze.

2) make a screw map.. if you don't like video, get a blank paper, tape and a pen and draw out the rudimentary layer you are working on and tape the screws to the page where they go on the diagram drawing you made. I am no artist but I can draw an ugly square and put X's and tape screws to it. I label the sheet with which layer I am working on. These sheets become a godsend when you are ready to put everything back.

3) The copper shielding is taped on, and screwed on at places, so don't freak out or panic if you find yourself peeling off tape in places, that copper sheet is very sticky and really cannot be removed easily, so just be careful working around it.

4) Changing the laser is not too hard but you will have to change out the plastic gear arm on it from the old laser and put it on the new one. That plastic arm is the piece with the notorious spring, so before pulling it apart, study the laser white arm with the teeth and see how that spring goes on. Press the arm down with your finger and you can see how it works. Take your time here.. really get to know it and see the spring working.

5) That spring is tiny and black... ugh yes.. even harder to see.. and is not glued or secured in, its just placed there on a tiny peg and friction holds it in.

6) The spring will "pop" out when you loosen the arm, so be aware of this and possibly "hulk" or hunch over when you do this as if it pops it is better to have less places for the spring to bounce off too.

7) The spring often likes to stick to the magnet of the laser eye so look there if you cannot find it, it likes to stick there.

8.) Try to find a super clean floor room or drop butcher paper under your desk and around your chair, as if that spring flies, you are going to need help finding it, butcher paper is pure white so it makes it a bit easier to find.

9) Place the arm on the new laser and rail system and put the spring back on, sometimes skinny needle nose work good, sometimes just my finger, but whatever you choose, just be careful, this is by far the most annoying step in this process.... this is the only part I found to be hair pulling and frustrating... I am praying your journey will not have any trouble here. When installing that "hulking" or hunching over to make a tiny work space for the spring to bounce will be good. I had to try to get that spring installed like 10 times before I got it in correct, 9 of the times, the laser eye magnet caught it, one the spring bounced on the carpet... ugh... but I have a rolling floor magnet and got really lucky to find it again..

I hope some of these tips help you or anyone else with this or any other projects.

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1

How much room do you have around that spring? I'm just thinking- if you can get a sewing needle through it, you could in theory tie a big loop of string to it to hold onto during removal/replacement. That way if it files off, you either have ahold of the string, or you can look for that. Then once it's back on, unto the string.

There is not a lot of room as the spring is narrow and very short. Your idea however is interesting and I would love to try it out if I get another one in our store. It is a very interesting idea and very creative!

Btw, do you know anyone on here or other forums that offer SEGA CD, and SEGA CDX repair? I asked that in case i cannot fix this stubborn boi :spidey:

I am unaware of anyone who can fix this that I know of in the forums. I fix the ones that come into my store, but my workload for xmas has been crazy and my season goes on until the beginning of April.

I honestly think this might be something you and a tech friend can handle.

Thank you very much for letting me know that. We will try our best, wish us luck :D