IGNORED

Flashback Gold Activision Issues

OK, here is the official statement on using PAL versus NTSC ROMs. I've confirmed that these are in fact the NTSC ROMs, it's just that the emulator renders it with incorrect colors. This and all other emulation quirks will be a non-issue with the 2018 HD products for a very good reason that I can't reveal at this time.

Bill you tease! :lol: Does this include correcting the lag in the paddles as well for 2018?

• Like 2

OK, here is the official statement on using PAL versus NTSC ROMs. I've confirmed that these are in fact the NTSC ROMs, it's just that the emulator renders it with incorrect colors. This and all other emulation quirks will be a non-issue with the 2018 HD products for a very good reason that I can't reveal at this time.

Loving the sound of this ... perhaps I haven't thought it through sufficiently enough but I can only think of one way for 'emulation quirks' to become 'non-issues' (because there is no such thing as perfect, %100 emulation accuracy that I am aware of) and that is for there to be no emulation at all. And if there is no emulation then ..... thoughts of the FB2 come to mind :-)

• Like 1

Loving the sound of this ... perhaps I haven't thought it through sufficiently enough but I can only think of one way for 'emulation quirks' to become 'non-issues' (because there is no such thing as perfect, %100 emulation accuracy that I am aware of) and that is for there to be no emulation at all. And if there is no emulation then ..... thoughts of the FB2 come to mind :-)

It will still be emulation.

• Like 2

I had two issues within a short period of playing time.

1) Combat glitched making one player unable to move after about 30 seconds into a game.

2) Warlords locked up about 4 games in.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

I'm just wondering are you are using wireless controllers or original wired controllers?

Guys - I hate to break it to you but Kaboom and paddles lag even in the latest and greatest versions of Stella. I've done side by side comparisons and given feedback/chatted about it in the Stella section of the forum. Getting that paddle emulation 100% is extremely challenging, and if your expectation was to play Kaboom like original hardware then those expectations were too high. In fact, you can get lag from real hardware if you have your console connected to a flat screen display. That game was just meant to be played in its original state on a CRT.

The other reports of lag in Pitfall and Chopper Command are more disappointing to me.

• Like 2

There will always be a lag of at least one frame in Stella and Kaboom, due to the way that events are read, and then rendered onscreen. This is the lower limit. If you run Stella (or any emulator, really) on a typical LCD TV, then you could get up to 2-3 frames more lag from the TV itself.

I'm forced to agree that Kaboom is just one of those titles that was made for a real console and CRT TV. Not that we don't look to improve the experience in Stella, but in some cases it just isn't possible.

• Like 4

The other reports of lag in Pitfall and Chopper Command are more disappointing to me.

FYI, I played both those on my HD Flashback and didn't get any lag. The cordless joysticks work great!

Good to know about the lag in Stella. I still have my original Atari hooked up to a 28" tube TV and will try to hold on to it for as long as I can.

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw a couple complaints out there about the controllers. Figured if I got a Gold, I'd just use original wired sticks/paddles. Anyone know if a CX78 (that 7800 pad-ish thing) or a Jag pad with the Best Elec adapters would work on them? These days I really prefer a pad. I'm one of those few (around here, it seems) that knows zero about technical stuff and just likes old games.

Edited by Zookeeper

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is the official statement on using PAL versus NTSC ROMs. I've confirmed that these are in fact the NTSC ROMs, it's just that the emulator renders it with incorrect colors.

Well, the official statement is incorrect. Its actually the PAL roms being interpreted as ntsc by the emulator, so its showing the PAL rom in NTSC colors. You can do the same in Stella if you load a PAL rom and tell it to use NTSC.

Also, I pulled the roms off and confirmed they are the PAL versions, so I replaced them with the NTSC ones and the Flashback emulator plays them correctly.

This and all other emulation quirks will be a non-issue with the 2018 HD products for a very good reason that I can't reveal at this time.

That sounds VERY exciting. If what youve alluded to becomes 2018s product, then it sounds like Ill be buying yet another Flashback. ?
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...