IGNORED

Games on disc?

Video

How long is it supposed to take to load a game from a disc? I assumed 30 min to an hour and half. I ask cause I got games in Friday and set the system to load it, and across 3 days it is only 57%. Now the system auto shuts down when you don't do anything to it, such as no games to play, but even if it takes an hour, that still seems WAY excessive. Its cod WWII, I thought about trying starwars, but then its just that much longer.

Yeah, I've had the console a week and played one 360 game on it so far. Ps4 doesn't take nearly that long to rip a disc. If this is normal I'll likely sell it and get a 360 as downloading here is prohibitive.

It shouldn't take that long unless your internet is really slow. I've never had a game take longer than 30 minutes to download to the point to where I could start playing the single player campaign. I think the game that took the longest to download was the Master Chief Collection, which is a massive 65GB download.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

Keep in mind that some games don't just install, they may also have to download the rest or get the latest updates in the process. If your internet is awful then the process is going to take much longer.

Go to your settings and disable the auto shutdown. Also, you can try disconnecting your Xbox One from the network so the disc installs everything it can separate from the download portion. Reconnect the Xbone after and let it download the updates (or leave it offline and see if the game works out of the box without updates).

I have never had a game take more than 30 minutes, but I also have quality internet.

Oh. I figured games on discs were, well on the disc (other than updates) that's going to kill it for me, hopefully it didn't kill my internet for the month.

This is one of the things that's already driving me a little nuts about the Xbox One too. (I just got a system recently as well.) When I installed Forza 7 on my Xbox One X, it immediately had to download 61GB worth of files. People explained to me that that was all the 4K textures and such, but when I installed it on an Xbox One S afterwards, it still had to download 31GB. I mean, that sure seems like basically the whole game to me.

It definitely seems like at least some of the games on disc are basically just a gateway to download the actual game from the internet.

Also kind of a dealbreaker for me, because I'm worried we won't ever be able to play these games in the future if something happens to the console (and all disc-based consoles fail eventually) and we have to get another one. Is MS really still going to have these downloads available in 15-20 years? The whole point of physical media for me is that I can just put some physical object in a console and start playing.

• Like 1

I got the X Box One S Thursday on a deal and a few games... and I have found this extremely annoying. I thought PS4 was bad until I laid eyes on this thing. I've installed 6 games and I've already used up over half of the 500gb hard drive. It's ridiculous. This really proves to me that I'm not made for the modern generations of gaming... I'll stick with Nintendo from now on. They've started introducing these things but nowhere near as bad.

Well that explains why (relatively speaking) the one is doing worse than the ps4. I've only got about two dozen games for that, but outside of updates, that aren't required unless you play online, I've yet to come across a game that needs to download anything.

In a couple of weeks I'll be going into town, maybe I can trade it for a 360 or something. I mean, I do plan to move back to town, but that's likely a year and a half off. I can't think of a good reason to have a console I'm locked out of using.

Yeah its got BC, but I assume its half assed like the 360 was, and probably wont use the discs. There's the games for live thing, maybe some of those are small enough to load. But that's still download stuff, and I assume like ps4 you don't actually keep them. I got 360 live games, most of which I grabbed cause their free, but wasn't really interested in them, the others got played to death, and I'm stuck with the saves so I can't restart them anyways, stupid cloud crap, which is weird, cause I went out of my way to save to memory cards, I don't think I ever even set up cloud saves so I guess they slipped that in anyways.

Can you buy, er, rent the games without downloading them? I might do that and have it when I move later.

Edited by Video

I got the X Box One S Thursday on a deal and a few games... and I have found this extremely annoying. I thought PS4 was bad until I laid eyes on this thing. I've installed 6 games and I've already used up over half of the 500gb hard drive. It's ridiculous. This really proves to me that I'm not made for the modern generations of gaming... I'll stick with Nintendo from now on. They've started introducing these things but nowhere near as bad.

You could always get an external hard drive. They're not too expensive. That or only install the games you regularly play, which is what I do.

Edited by xenomorpher

Xbox ones BC does use the discs but still has to download large update files for each one

The One unfortunately only uses the disc as a key. You still have to download the entire game. :(

Well that explains why (relatively speaking) the one is doing worse than the ps4. I've only got about two dozen games for that, but outside of updates, that aren't required unless you play online, I've yet to come across a game that needs to download anything.

Nah. The One is doing worse because Microsoft shot themselves in the foot before they even started. With their earlier E3 presentation touting it as a media box as opposed to a games machine, the anti-used game tone they took, to the forced usage of Kinect and a $500 price tag at launch, it was a tsunami of bad decisions and it bit them in the rear. Minor things like games taking a while to install are just a blip on the radar in comparison. It also doesn't help that the system was touted as being slightly less powerful than the PS4 at launch and Sony has also done an excellent job of reeling in third-party exclusives, effectively blocking MS from some of the games people care about (Street Fighter V is a good example).

Fortunately as a platform Microsoft has turned it around quite well, but at this point they have still pretty much lost the race. Unless someone is hardcore and plays 24/7, why should anyone buy an Xbox One if they already have a PS4? I think that's the position a lot of people are in right now, especially with how similar the Xbox One and PS4 are to one another.

• Like 1

Yeah I remember the launch fiasco, with them touting online required, no used games, this tacky camera thing, etc etc, like they were good things. Wow, the backlash from that. I mean, if I hadn't already decided I would get the ps4 first, that definitely would have pushed me to that route.

I remember at the time saying something to the extent of "I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot, but they blew their bottom half off"

I usually get all the consoles, till last gen (ps3's price, wtf were they thinking?!) And I usually get a few games a month, but outside of the live thing, which I already paid for, I'll likely get nothing further for it.

Edited by Video

Nintendo is no better. they have tiny space on their machines, and you still have to download patches. also some games are so big, you have to buy an SD card to put the whole game on it.

all modern systems are like this. you either get used to or live with it.

i have an xbox 360, and had a 20g drive, which i got a newer version and bought a 320g drive for $20, i have never even come close to filling it.

later

Looks like Xbox 1X games in 4k will be in upwards of 100GB+, so 500GB, or even 1TB HDs will fill up very fast.

https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-x-game-file-size/

I personally don't have the Xbox One, I'm a Playstation gamer, but my PS4's 500GB HD filled up pretty quickly and I was running out of space (mostly with free PSN Plus games).

I had to upgrade to 2TB, and so far so good. One thing I like about the Playstation, is that they lets you upgrade the HD w/o voiding the warranty, not like Xbox 360 or the XBOX One.

On my PS3 I had a 500GB HD that filled up with free PSN games over the 10 year period and had to upgrade to 750GB. The upgrade progress was 20GB-320GB-500GB-750GB plus 3 dead PS3s.

The PS3's original price was insane, but I still got it.

Looks like Xbox 1X games in 4k will be in upwards of 100GB+, so 500GB, or even 1TB HDs will fill up very fast.

https://gamerant.com/xbox-one-x-game-file-size/

I personally don't have the Xbox One, I'm a Playstation gamer, but my PS4's 500GB HD filled up pretty quickly and I was running out of space (mostly with free PSN Plus games).

I had to upgrade to 2TB, and so far so good. One thing I like about the Playstation, is that they lets you upgrade the HD w/o voiding the warranty, not like Xbox 360 or the XBOX One.

On my PS3 I had a 500GB HD that filled up with free PSN games over the 10 year period and had to upgrade to 750GB. The upgrade progress was 20GB-320GB-500GB-750GB plus 3 dead PS3s.

The PS3's original price was insane, but I still got it.

You should be able to use an external hard drive on the Xbox One. That won't void your warranty.

• Like 1

Anyways, DLC, big downloads, key-discs, and "online required" are here to stay unless the entire videogame-buying populace revolted. And that will never happen because gamers are totally in love with cloud stuff. Can't tell me otherwise. We have spoken and sang to the tune of $40 billion. And we continue to do so.

---

Have it be known and understood, completely, in no uncertain terms, that game companies are NOT interested in you having the ability to play today's games tomorrow or 20 years from now. In fact they would prefer you to renew a license periodically or just get something new entirely. And the cloud enables that with laser-sharp accuracy.

Have it also be known and understood, completely, in no uncertain terms, that game companies are NOT interested in your physical media experience. Not interested in you building a wall of cartridges. Not interested in you reliving glory days by inserting discs or carts into consoles. Way too many things to go wrong. And nowhere near the profit of cloud-controlled access & distribution.

Companies may fart out special collector's & limited editions from time to time. But rest assured none of this is about you building and curating a collection. It's "how can we recycle IP to get more profit".

And let us not forget, companies have no interest in nostalgia, unless they can sell it to you - preferably piecemeal.

Edited by Keatah

Anyways, DLC, big downloads, key-discs, and "online required" are here to stay unless the entire videogame-buying populace revolted. And that will never happen because gamers are totally in love with cloud stuff. Can't tell me otherwise. We have spoken and sang to the tune of $40 billion. And we continue to do so.

Well, except that the Xbox One is in second place overall, and in third in terms of current sales. Neither the PS4 nor the Switch act like the Xbox One. I don't think this is coincidence. Obviously there are other reasons for those systems' success, but behind everything there is this idea with the Xbox One that's been there from the beginning that you don't really own the games you buy on it. That was a big part of the launch fiasco, MS had to backtrack on it quite a bit but they've never recovered from that. On Switch, you get a cartridge and don't even need to be connected to the internet at all, ever. On PS4, you get a disc but you still don't need to be connected to the internet. And Sony pretty successfully threw this in MS's face at the Xbox One launch.

It could be just that the Xbone is ahead of its time and in 10 years we really all will *only* be downloading our games with the knowledge that those downloads expire in 5 years and there's nothing we can do about it. But right now, the consoles that are doing better in the marketplace are the ones that give you the option of real physical, transferable media without any downloads. That's the fact of the matter. You can quibble about correlation vs. causation, but you can't say the public hasn't "spoken". It has, and it's put the Xbox One in third place right now.

Yeah, companies would love to he digital only. Microsoft is currently the only big player that shoehorned that into their console. Other consoles are digital only, I have a firetv, you don't pay $60 for games on there, mostly I don't pay for them at all, actually. Like I said, ps4 doesn't require online just to start a game, and while Nintendo doesn't have a wide selection of physical media, the ones they do have are online independent so far.

Microsoft got a huge backlash from people with their online practice, guess that was one way to force digital download, but its also going to (and already has) loose them a lot of money. Like I said, I should have done research first, if I'd known about it I wouldn't have gotten one. My situation and lack of options literally prevent it from being useful to me.

I would say I'm surprised people were acting like nothing was wrong, but then again, this is the most inactive of the modern console forums. (Switch only misses it by ten topics, but that's as a console a third the age of the one)

Edited by Video

As far as DLC and online purchases, I won't go any further than 90's PC/BBS style downloading. And that's because anything downloaded like that can be "physicalized" to SD or backed-up to HDD for safekeeping well into the future.

Doom level packs and shareware/payware games I purchased in the 90's are still here some 20 years later and perfectly playable without worry.

• Like 1

Maaaaaan, cartridges. I love carts. We had none of these problems with carts.

not online, or having DRM issues. but there were still glitches, bugs, freezes, and other problems that couldn't be fixed, because the games couldn't be updated.

also, the games were magnitudes of order simpler than current ones.

cartridges also limited the complexity and size of games, would never want to go back to 8/16/32 megs cartridges.

later

Well we can make huge carts now.

Anyway I don't wanna start a fight. I just think having enough time to finish and polish a game would allow you to release it with very few bugs.

Which I think the the experience we had with carts back in the day.

• Like 1