IGNORED

Coleco Adam computer - Formatting new digital data packs

Sky7

I have read a few tutorials on how to create new Adam digital data packs from conventional cassette tapes but they all seem to be pretty involved. (utilizing CP/M etc..) Other than making the necessary physical holes to the conventional cassette tapes, is there not an Adam Basic program that will simply initialize and format a physically modified standard cassette tape?

How did the Coleco Adam digital data pack originally get created at the factory?

I have read a few tutorials on how to create new Adam digital data packs from conventional cassette tapes but they all seem to be pretty involved. (utilizing CP/M etc..) Other than making the necessary physical holes to the conventional cassette tapes, is there not an Adam Basic program that will simply initialize and format a physically modified standard cassette tape?

How did the Coleco Adam digital data pack originally get created at the factory?

There is one easy way to make a data pack. After drilling in the appropriate holes in a cassette tape AND an original data pack (so it will fit into a cassette player); all you need is a double cassette player. Start recording at one end, then listen for the end of the squealing (more perfect timing is better). Flip them over and record the back side of the cassette tape. With a minimum of practice you will be making data tapes like crazy. It WORKS, that's how we started many years ago.

As for how Coleco did it at the factory.......................probably had a program to record like a cassette player. Maybe YOU can make a program to do just that, it should be totally possible if someone with some knowledge of such things wants to make it happen.

Edited by adamcon

There is special formatting on Data Packs that can not be written by a SmartBASIC program or any ADAM program for that matter. You actually need additional hardware, called MegaCopy by Trisyd Video Games and hard to find now, that connects between two Digital Data Drives.

The easiest method is using a steroe dual cassette deck and there have been numerous articles written over the years as to how to do so. Here is one of the best that I have seen:

http://smartbasic.net/2017/11/27/converting-an-audio-tape-into-a-digital-data-pack/

Coleco actually made there own DDP Formatter out of a modified Expansion Module #3 Memory Console (it was a stand-alone unit, no ColecoVision, Printer, Keyboard and even monitor needed) that I owned back in the early 90s, but that unit is lost to the ages.... my bad.

Edited by NIAD