IGNORED

SNES SHVC-CPU-01 Problem Need Help

Hi guys, I have an SNES launch model from 1991 with a UN10 serial number which works and turns on, but i have a problem with WWF Royal Rumble and Aladdin. They glitch on the Title Screen. I'll show you the glitch. And no the games are not the problem. I tested them in a SNS-101 Mini Jr and they are glitch free. Here is a video:

SNS-001 (Glitched): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXCx3aEoBQ&t=19s

SNS-101 (Fine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQC-xdUahbo

Edited by Stevie Goodwin

The snes jr is at least three versions newer of the video processors. They even went from two ICs to one. One of the ic revisions may have been to fix something like this. Snes are one of the cases where older they are, the less desirable they become. I just got a jr because it was a one chip and did the rgb mod. They rgb difference between a 2 chip and a one chip is night and day.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I have an SNES launch model from 1991 with a UN10 serial number which works and turns on, but i have a problem with WWF Royal Rumble and Aladdin. They glitch on the Title Screen. I'll show you the glitch. And no the games are not the problem. I tested them in a SNS-101 Mini Jr and they are glitch free. Here is a video:

SNS-001 (Glitched): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXCx3aEoBQ&t=19s

SNS-101 (Fine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQC-xdUahbo

Is the issue intermittent?

Forgive me if you've already considered this, but I would suggest cleaning the cartridge slot on the console. If it's removable, clean under it as well. Also, just look it over and see if any of the pins show corrosion or artifacts (hair, carpet fuzzies, gum, straw wrapper etc). Other than that, I would suggest the console has a failed IC, or a bad trace to the cartridge slot.

Is the issue intermittent?

Forgive me if you've already considered this, but I would suggest cleaning the cartridge slot on the console. If it's removable, clean under it as well. Also, just look it over and see if any of the pins show corrosion or artifacts (hair, carpet fuzzies, gum, straw wrapper etc). Other than that, I would suggest the console has a failed IC, or a bad trace to the cartridge slot.

What IC has failed on my board. I don't see a bad trace. Can i take pictures of my console taken apart?

Also the issue is not random at all.

Edited by Stevie Goodwin

Well, Are SHVC CPU 01 SNES consoles unrealible. I seen alot of them dead. Is there anyone who know how to do SNES PPU swaps?

Yup, hot air station.

But it's totally not worth the time it takes to do it.

Also, Its like $30 (retrofixes.com) for the mod kit the add RGB and s-video to a jr.

If you only want s-video, its two wires to solder.

Actually the same kit is $15 from console5.

https://console5.com/store/nintendo-multiav-add-on-rgb-bypass-s-video-kit.html

But I think It is solder your self kit.

Edited by H454

What IC has failed on my board. I don't see a bad trace. Can i take pictures of my console taken apart?

Also the issue is not random at all.

Well, Are SHVC CPU 01 SNES consoles unrealible. I seen alot of them dead. Is there anyone who know how to do SNES PPU swaps?

Unfortunately, I've never done a chip swap on a SNES since they are surface mounted chips and a lot of work is required. If you have a super everdrive, there might be a program that can test chips for pass/fail. I wish I could help, but unless you're an electrical engineer, and have high end tools to solder, it might be a lost cause. I know on an original NES, solid colored screen is typically bad CPU, Black screen is bad PPU and failed ram is distorted graphics (like your example). That's not a guarantee though, there are many different ways a chip can fail.

One thing I just thought of though, if you leave the system on for awhile, do any of the chips get hot to the touch? If so, it may have failed.

There are many failure points on the early Super Nintendo's. Capacitors, cart slots, PPU, 7805, random IC. In many cases repairing them is not worth it because they are so cheap to begin with. All that being said, the SNES mini only has a sharper picture through RGB, which it sounds like you are not using if your console is not modified. The composite output on the mini is on par with the early 2 chip models.