IGNORED

how common are VSC?

DarQ Massacres

I don't think there's a way to know for sure, especially as time has gone on (original sales numbers don't always correlate to current rarity). But here's what I would guess, in order from rarest to most common (Atari-made systems only):

Atari 2700

Atari 2800

Sears heavy sixer

Atari heavy sixer

Sears 4 switch

Sears Video Arcade II

Sears light sixer

Atari light sixer

Atari 4 switch "Vader"

Atari 2600 jr.

Atari 4 switch "Woody"

I might be missing some variant I'm forgetting.

The Sears 4 switch model might be even rarer than I think... as I made this list I was trying to remember if I'd even seen one before, and there are only a few on Ebay. This must have been a short-lived variant before they introduced the VA II. Or maybe by then everybody was just buying the actual Atari models. I've never seen anyone describe this variant as uncommon, but it seems like it's possibly less common than even the Sears heavy sixers.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

Since the OP is in Canada, I should note that the Sears models were never "officially" sold here, and o they are more rare here than in the United States. Sears Canada =/= Sears, Roebuck, & Co., and the selection of store-brand merchandise was never as deep.

I did once see a Sears 6-switch model in a Canadian thrift shop, but that would have been personally imported by someone BITD rather than purchased at the local Sears store.

Personally, I have made many cross-border shopping trips over the years, and I purchased a fair number of games in American shops -- the selection was always better, and (depending on the exchange rate), so were the prices.

I don't think there's a way to know for sure, especially as time has gone on (original sales numbers don't always correlate to current rarity). But here's what I would guess, in order from rarest to most common (Atari-made systems only):

Atari 2700

Atari 2800

Sears heavy sixer

Atari heavy sixer

Sears 4 switch

Sears Video Arcade II

Sears light sixer

Atari light sixer

Atari 4 switch "Vader"

Atari 2600 jr.

Atari 4 switch "Woody"

I might be missing some variant I'm forgetting.

The Sears 4 switch model might be even rarer than I think... as I made this list I was trying to remember if I'd even seen one before, and there are only a few on Ebay. This must have been a short-lived variant before they introduced the VA II. Or maybe by then everybody was just buying the actual Atari models. I've never seen anyone describe this variant as uncommon, but it seems like it's possibly less common than even the Sears heavy sixers.

That list looks just about right to me, having spent way too much time perusing Ebay listings for 2600 variants. And I think you're quite correct about the rarity of the Sears 4-switch. It may not be considered as desirable as the heavy sixers, but I truly think it is of similar (or maybe even somewhat greater) rarity.

Weren't there a few different versions of the Jr?

there's different versions of all of them depending on how deep you go

there's light sixers with heavy sixer boards, there's sunnyvale 4 switch units, umpteen motherboard revisions of the 4's, long rainbow jr's and short rainbow jr's etc etc etc

• Like 1

Yeah, I was trying not to get too deep into it in the list I made, just trying to stick to models with either functional revisions or major branding revisions. The blackout/vader 2600 is basically just a cosmetic thing (unless there are internal differences I don't know about) but it was accompanied by a decent marketing push to try to modernize the image of the console, and most people consider it a separate variant. The 2600 jr. sub-variants were more minor and I don't think any of them involved a change in marketing or functionality.

Edited by spacecadet

If there is I have no idea how.

If your time to edit hasn't expired, you can click Edit at the bottom of the post, click the orange Use Full Editor button, then you'll be able to change the Topic Title. After changing it, remember to click the Submit Modified Post button.

• Like 2