IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Can you compare the color screenshot with what is displayed on your TV. Does it match better than the Stella or z26 PAL palette?

Hi again, Tom.

It seems to me that the difference between the standard palette and this your is quite marked about the black level, so I find it much more faithful with CRT's colors (seen on a LCD computer monitor... wonder if they're too much dark if displayed on a CRT PC monitor...) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

post-10922-0-35942900-1528625419_thumb.jpg

John, I played (HeavySixer+HarmonyEncore) with the "testing-mode" invincibility cheat until level 34 and it seems there's something strange...

I grabbed all the objects but the level didn't end. I waited until the lost of all the available lives, so not only dying by jumping three times on the same bumper but also making the "killer green coin" appear (sorry... I can't find another name for it :-o :grin: ), but it didn't want to go to level 35.

I tried another time but no level 35, again...

post-10922-0-29525300-1528625335_thumb.jpg

[EDIT: despite the necessary "alternating display" used to overcome the known limitations of the VCS, it is truly INCREDIBLE the amount of stuff movin'on the screen :-o :-o :-o !!!]

Edited by macdlsa
  • Like 1

What the hell kind of Vaudoux is going on in this Atari?!?

All I can say is WOW!

I assume this will not work with a Cuttle Cart? I would LOVE to try this on real hardware!

No, not on Cuttle Cart. It is a new bankswitching type, and also uses the Harmony Cart’s ARM processor for game logic.

No, not on Cuttle Cart. It is a new bankswitching type, and also uses the Harmony Cart’s ARM processor for game logic.

One of these days I'm going to have to get a Harmony Cart (IIRC). The list of games I can't try out on real hardware is growing.

But isn't this cheating? I can understand extra ram and larger ROM sizes, but extra processing power is really pushing the boundaries (unless it is extremely similar to the Pitfal II chip, but I doubt it is). The game looks awesome though!

I don’t consider it cheating.

-You can put the cart in an unmodded system and play.

-NES - most games have hardware in the cart.

-It is still limited to 76 cycles per scan line and all the limitations of the Atari 2600.

That's normally my take on it too. But it just feels like some serious Vaudoux going on in the machine:)

It looks absolutely outstanding. Best looking game on the 2600, hands down!

• Like 1

But isn't this cheating? I can understand extra ram and larger ROM sizes, but extra processing power is really pushing the boundaries (unless it is extremely similar to the Pitfal II chip, but I doubt it is). The game looks awesome though!

The opinions differ here. Customers usually don't care, but some developers do.

Previous discussion e.g. here, here, here and here.

Besides, if we stick with what the designers intended then by all rights and means there shouldn't be anything much beyond Video Olympics style games.

The original challenge of the Atari 2600 for many programmers was, to explore the limitations of the original hardware beyond the known boundaries.

• Like 1

I saw a program where they were talking about the only original requirements when designing Stella was to play pong and tank... and you can see that when they designed it with two sprites and two missiles (Tank) and a ball (Pong). In fact, Nolan Bushnell himself did not intend the VCS to be used beyond a few years and wanted to come out with a new console. It was Warner Communications that wanted them to continue developing with the 2600 and he got overruled!

I think it is amazing how far the Atari 2600 has been extended beyond that, and I think it is all fair! :)

Edited by MissCommand
  • Like 6

The original challenge of the Atari 2600 for many programmers was, to explore the limitations of the original hardware beyond the known boundaries.

If you went back in time and gave an atari programmer a Harmony cart, he would jump over chairs to grab it.

If you went back in time and gave an atari programmer a Harmony cart, he would jump over chairs to grab it.

Q1: What's the itty bitty port for?

A: USB

Q: What's USB?

A: 60 MB/s serial port

Q: <mind blown>

Q2: What's the itty bitty slot for?

A: SD Card

Q: What's an SD Card?

A: a 4GB solid state "hard drive" the size of a postage stamp

Q3: How do I put my compiled code on the SD Card?

A: Use this USB adapter

Q: see Q1

• Like 13

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an EXCLUSIVE UNRELEASED NEW version Mappy tonight LIVE on TWITCH!

We're doing a Homebrew WIP livestream update episode tonight and we'll also have a big announcement for one of the games we'll be playing! We'll be checking out the recently renamed Amoeba Jump (previously Doodle Jump), another look at Unreal Tournament 2600 and a visit back with Mappy with all it's changes since we last played!

Join us LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Video Gaming Twitch channel at 7PM PT/10PM ET tonight

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

post-37205-0-03496800-1530135181_thumb.png

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Hey Dion! It's an UNBELIEVABLE game, the graphics and sound are super advanced for the VCS! It's challenging game with tons of variety, that's for sure, and a great port from the arcade.

There are still little tweaks being done to it so it's still considered a WIP until the cartridge release in October!

Here's the video from last night's ZeroPage Homebrew broadcast (we start playing the new Mappy WIP around the 1h17m mark) Big thanks for the exclusive new build of the game John C!!!

https://youtu.be/ScNEss74gnA?t=1h17m32s

This game is really good. Is it still WIP?

Any idea when it will be available on cartridge?

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Q1: What's the itty bitty port for?

A: USB

Q: What's USB?

A: 60 MB/s serial port

Q2: What's the itty bitty slot for?

A: SD Card

Q: What's an SD Card?

A: a 4GB solid state "hard drive" the size of a postage stamp

Q3: How do I put my compiled code on the SD Card?

A: Use this USB adapter

Q: see Q1

Be easier if you slapped a Jag with Raymond and Temest 4k and tell them this if the future. They would crap their pants, not even tell them it sold abysmally againsg their competitors... :evil: