IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Nope - you can jump off at any floor, but that's it. Could be a possible option for "Novice" though...

I figured out there's other way to go down earlier. If there's a wall left or right, it'll bounce you back and bring you back down. I was able to break the trampoline after stinging 2 balloons above the cat balloon in the bonus level just before time expired.

I also figured out you can close the door.

The bells in stage 7-9 doesn't appear/reset upon death even if you didn't drop any. Might be a bug. Man those cats sure can get you easily at that stage. Still going to replay this game again.

Still unclear. (Seriously want to understand as I'm doing Mappy sound and music.)

Do you mean the DPC+ music in post #67, or the arcade's sound overlaid in post #88, or the fact that the latest demo posted has no sound?

Mappy seems to be "love it" or "hate it".

I understand that some just don't like gameplay with music, and some don't like scrolling like Mappy and Jr. Pac due to no indication of what is just off screen.

Options to address these can be:

Background music in Stay Frosty 2 can be off with a difficulty switch, and then that channel plays more game sound effects.

Solution for what is off screen, I saw a Mappy version that used smaller enemies in the far right and left columns to indicate their off screen positions.

I don't know if these options will make it into Mappy as matching the Arcade comes first.

Even these cutting edge games so far have to be 32K in total with 29K ROM available for code.

Seems like I was referring to neither. It's possible it was in a separate topic. If it's gonna be similar to the one in post 67 there does seem to be some notes that seem off, though it has an accompaniment and isn't "mono" like the one I was thinking of.

Seems like I was referring to neither. It's possible it was in a separate topic. If it's gonna be similar to the one in post 67 there does seem to be some notes that seem off, though it has an accompaniment and isn't "mono" like the one I was thinking of.

You were thinking of what's linked in my signature.

That is the TIA with its not-in-tune notes.

This will use DPC, 3-channel music with in tune notes, like in Stay Frosty 2 & Pitfall II.

For what it's worth, I actually thought the music track you posted sounded GREAT! (and this is coming from a die-hard Mappy fan who once even owned an arcade cabinet of it!) In hindsight, I should have used that to overlay into the video I made but that didn't even occur to me until just right now!

Thanks!

I am hoping the final music comes closer to the arcade "sound" than my first attempt in post 67.

The first main song tune using DPC did have some incorrect notes, but a tool that John has also coded has fixed that bug.

I own 1 Arcade Cabinet video game = Mappy!

I have been wanting to do 2600 Mappy from 2011 when I joined AtariAge and made this mock-up.

My 6-year old mock-up in batari Basic:

post-29575-0-94914200-1517030057.jpg

I just knew it would take assembly coding to do it best and to do the in-tune music that's a huge part of the game. I can't do those things in batari Basic.

I'm glad it inspired John to make an assembly coded Mappy, and thankful that I get to help.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Especially the sprites and their animations lookes superb!!! Best looking sprites i have seen on the 2600 so far. Picture of the PAL60 version has some colors inside, which are not so good adapted i think ("red" for example), but maybe the programmers can have a look again on this for the end-version. European and australian users would be thankful.

Looking forward to the final-version of this game. Many good new games for the system in last months, this is really great.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

Especially the sprites and their animations lookes superb!!! Best looking sprites i have seen on the 2600 so far. Picture of the PAL60 version has some colors inside, which are not so good adapted i think ("red" for example), but maybe the programmers can have a look again on this for the end-version. European and australian users would be thankful.

Thanks! FYI I have not posted a PAL60 version yet; I think the picture above is what the NTSC version looks like on a PAL TV.

Here is a *quick* PAL60 conversion with NTSC-PAL color mappings I used for Scramble. Let me know if this looks better!

mappy_20180206_PAL60.bin

There are a few small changes from the NTSC version attached to the previous post:

- added the "ROUND xx" screen when the next round is about to start. It also displays "READY!" and the ROUND when gameplay resumes after Mappy has lost a life.

- modified the scrolling trigger start/end points to take into account Mappy's location while the screen is scrolling. Right difficultly A/B affects the trigger points.

- fixed a bug where the bells would be removed from levels 7-9 when Mappy loses a life

Here's the NTSC version with the minor updates if anyone is interested:

mappy_20180206_NTSC.bin

Thanks again!

John

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 9

Same here.

We developed Boulder Dash without any audio, because getting the graphics running smoothly was the main challenge. When we finally added sound, the difference was surprisingly huge. We suddenly got much more attached to the game than before.

I figure the same will happen with Mappy too.

• Like 2

Sorry to nitpick again, but the scrolling is still slightly off. Attached 2 pictures which show Mappy's position right before the scrolling starts.

To the right there are about 9 PF pixel = 36 pixel, to the left the distance is about 10.5 PF pixel (~42 pixel). I attached the latter mirrored so that the difference becomes more obvious.

post-45-0-31572400-1518036346_thumb.png

post-45-0-31691200-1518036518_thumb.png

Here is a *quick* PAL60 conversion with NTSC-PAL color mappings I used for Scramble. Let me know if this looks better!

attachicon.gifmappy_20180206_PAL60.bin

Looks not bad, most colors are good adapted. The brownish color of the floor, where the Mouse walks on, is brighter as in the NTSC-version, but it`s okay. The red color of the PAL60-version, which is for example in the roof of the house, has a little purple-effect inside. When a deeper red could be found, it would be not bad. Rest looks good here.

Is this only compatible with Stella at the moment? I tried the rom on my Harmony Encore cart, but the screen would roll until I moved Mappy to the left side of the screen. After doing this, the rolling stopped and the first level was playable. But when the next level started, the screen rolled and I had to repeat the same process again (i.e. move Mappy to the left).

Edited by ColecoGamer

I don't see that with 20180206_NTSC build.

It's possible the ARM code is taking too long when Mappy's on the right for some reason, which could result in the 2600 generating more scanlines than your TV supports. My C=1084 can play standard PAL50 games without problems, the colors are just wrong; however, I didn't notice any screen jitter/jump that would normally show up when scanline counts change mid-game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i've been following this for a while- very cool work!

very much looking forward to a completed game :)

Thanks! We've hit a bit a snag with memory (we're out of it! :)) but we're busy working on freeing up space for all of the music. Mike (ieposta) has been making great progress and the music sounds amazing! Now we just need to find a way to squeeze it in the code without giving up some of the bells and whistles (high score screen, etc).

• Like 7

Thanks! We've hit a bit a snag with memory (we're out of it! :)) but we're busy working on freeing up space for all of the music. Mike (ieposta) has been making great progress and the music sounds amazing! Now we just need to find a way to squeeze it in the code without giving up some of the bells and whistles (high score screen, etc).

I wouldn't care about a highscore screen. I've always written down my score on a piece of paper, so if that needs to go, I wouldn't miss it.

• Like 1