IGNORED

Atari games with commercials?

twh/f2

Hi there,

seeing all these nasty ad-sponsored smartphone games of today I wonder if there were games in the 8bit age with similiar commercial approaches.

Obviously In-app sales wasn't a 80s thing :) But were there games with commercial breaks?!

I know that few Atari games had commercials and/or sponsorings. Beside game demo disks from software vendors here is what come to my mind:

* Tapper (Mountain Dew/PepsiCo)

* Thera-Med Zahnschutz Spiel (Henkel)

* Kennedy Approach? (Air France, Delta, American Airlines)

Can we create a list of other commercial / promotional games?

Or games with references to real corporations?

thanks

twh!

Do you mean interludes like Pac-Man, or in-game ads, like the Fuji billboards in Pole Position, or sly in-game references to other games, such as the multiple references to Zork in the Enchanter series, and in Wishbringer?

Well no. I'm not talking about interludes or any in-game reference to other games. I'm talking about advertisements for marketing reasons or some kind of product placement like it was common practice in the movies.

I higgly doubt those airline companies paid anything foe being mentioned in Kennedy Approach. I always asumed that it was just functional....

No question. It's extremely unlikely that there was some kind of marketing in Kennedy Approach. But still the game was doing references to real world commercial corporations like these Airlines. The exist up until today!

No question. It's extremely unlikely that there was some kind of marketing in Kennedy Approach. But still the game was doing references to real world commercial corporations like these Airlines. The exist up until today!

Yeah....they were lucky not to include Pan Am ;)

I miss KLM though ;)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

There is a game with commercial breaks! The Polish game "Super Fortuna", itself an adaptation of the Wheel of Fortune quiz show that was was at the height of popularity in Poland back in 1993, copied the show's format to the letter, including the commercial breaks. The two "commercials" in the game (actually just single non-moving screens) were for the games publisher, Mirage Software, and the paper magazine "Świat Atari" (also published by Mirage).

• Like 3

The list is growing:

* Tapper (Mountain Dew/PepsiCo)

* Tapper SE (Pilsner Urquell)

* Thera-Med Zahnschutz Spiel (Henkel)

* Kennedy Approach? (Air France, Delta, American Airlines)

* McDonald's (Fast food *g)

* Super Fortuna (Commercial breaks!!!)

any more?

Nice one:

post-2336-0-60473100-1512297160.gif

• Like 1

A bit of a stretch: "Action Biker" was a tie in to the KP Skips snack, with the protagonist being one Clumsy Colin, a character from KP Skips commercials. The tie-in was evident only in the packaging though.

The ending of "Hacker" reveals a Washington Post page. The box writes "With special thanks to (..) Washington Post", so it was official, although not much of an advertisement.

• Like 2

Gamestar Baseball advertising Scuba Dooba Doo (ficticious title).

It was a teaser for Gamestar's upcoming game, sadly never finished. Sorlurce: Video Game Update Mar. 1983 p. 5.

It depends: You can take all games with the references to e.g. Comics ("Hulk", "Superman" etc.) or motion pictures ("007" etc.) or just ignore them...

They are what they are - licenced games. I think it's a separate category.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...