IGNORED

All I want for Christmas is... (must be TI-99/4A related)

Omega-TI

Since we're talking about game ports - I'd love to see a port of Activision's Master of the Lamps to the 99/4A. There was an MSX port, so it should be doable on the 99/4A. I had the Commodore 64 version of this game and while the SID chip was just way better than the 9919, the MSX version shows how it would have sounded. Always liked this game.

• Like 2

Since we're talking about game ports - I'd love to see a port of Activision's Master of the Lamps to the 99/4A. There was an MSX port, so it should be doable on the 99/4A. I had the Commodore 64 version of this game and while the SID chip was just way better than the 9919, the MSX version shows how it would have sounded. Always liked this game.

Not necessarily. The MSX has an AY-3-8910 sound chip which generates saw-tooth and triangle waves, quite a different sound than our 9919's square waves. That said, we can get pretty close.

We were just discussing this at home after my fiance showed me the game on the 64.. it's really not much the only tricky part may be drawing the 'tunnel'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of another game port. We know there's TI Runner and Star Runner, but what I would REALLY like is a carbon copy port of the C64/Apple II Lode Runner game. I saw one that someone did on the ColecoVision.

I don't know enough about machine code programming to pull it off, but given what i've seen in the TI community i bet it'd be doable on our lil' TI with some tweaking.

(apologies if this one has been beaten to death, resurrected, then beaten to death again with the corpse of the horse)

• Like 1

Well, to finish the year on a good note I've just passed an order for a Finalgrom + loaded SD card + cart case to arcadeshopper.

So now my TI-99 setup includes:

• 2x TI-99/4a (one beige non QI and a silver)
  • PEB (Thanks guy for heping me find one for a good, non-eBay, price)
  • TI RS232 card
  • TI 32k Card
  • TI FDD controller
  • Stock FDD that I've repaired (needed a bit of lubrification)
  • One half-height 5¼ FDD (on order)
  • One 3½ FDD (on order) with 5¼ mounting kit
  • FinalGrom (on order)
  • 100 blank 5¼ floppy disk (Kao branded 360k)
  • 100 blank 3½ floppy disk (Sony branded 720k)
  • Epson Actionprinter 4000

So not bad a gift I made to myself.

What I still need to get:

• Floppy cable too hook up both the 5¼ HH and the 3½ FDD internally, which I believe needs a 10-12 pin twist according to a post here by a user named Gazoo.
  • Parallel to centronics cable to hook up the TI to the Epson and then read up on how to print to it (I'm new to the TI world :-D )
  • F18A (I registered for the waiting list).

On my 2018 wishlist (after saving up a bit):

• P-Code card + UCSD Pascal (Pascal was my first "real" computer language, I make a point of getting one Pascal version on each PC that I own. Yeah I'm weird :grin: )
  • 1mb SAMS card or similar.
  • One of those gizmut that can plug into the RS232 and work as an Ethernet adaptor for getting the TI online (not a big priority but cool none the less).
Edited by AMenard
  • Like 6

^

Wow you jumped into the deep end of the pool rather quickly! :thumbsup:

Like the song says: It's now or never... I'm not getting any younger :grin:

The biggest expense so far as been the FinalGrom. The PEB cost me $160Cdn shipped, the beige Ti was about $60Cdn, the silver was from a trade.

The floppy disk I got at work from surplus stock destined to be recycled. the rest were pretty much about $20Cdn each or less. Heck, the printer cost me less than the box of fanfold paper that I bought for it.

So as you see it isn't really that much of an investment.

The next "big" investment will be rebuilding the PSU which will cost me about $100Cdn in parts (I only buy good quality parts) and should boost the output potential to 3amp which will be more than adequate for the two FDD.

• Like 1