IGNORED

2017 portable, can't use SD card

Tried a few SD cards and even MMC card. When I select SD card browser, it shows loading for a few seconds, then right back to main menu with no games shown.

I used the formatter program to reformat the card properly (tried WIndows format as well), I put all the games in Game folder, checked and made sure the games are in Xxxx.bin format as described in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

I just can't get the game list to load. Do I have a lemon? Cards used:

• Sandisk 32MB MMC (yeah not SD but most SD cards are treated as MMC anyway)
  • Kingston 128MB SD
  • Lexar 512MB SD
  • PNY 1GB SD (works fine in Harmony)
  • Lexar 4GB (originally from Nintendo 3DS)
  • Transcend 32GB C10
  • PNY 200GB UHS-3 (way overkill but had to check anyway)

I am using a 512MB Sandisk SD card - nothing else on it but Game folder with 2600 .bin files inside and mine works.

I guess if it were mine I would try putting just one .bin in the Game folder - a known good .bin. If it doesn't work, you might have a defective unit there.

They can use them but they're out of date in that form factor badly, can only use original SD (not HC or XC) and i think the cap was 2 4 or 8GB at most. Anything over that isn't happening. For some insanely dumb reason I don't believe that is ever said on the box or inserts. I have no idea why your sub-1GB stuff isn't picking up. Maybe like you said, lemon. Return and replace.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 512 meg sd card and it works with most games. I have a bunch of homebrew games I downloaded from here plus one I made myself. The only game that shows up is the Sonic atari game. It works and plays great. I made another thread with no responses wondering if there is something special you gotta do for batari basic games to work. All of the roms work fine on my Atari using the harmony cartridge or using stella on pc.

Full Reformat FAT32 and just unzip one of the Game.zip shown here as the directory created and all the ROM names are correct for AFP. Also any card larger than 8Gig will definately not work. I'm using a 16M (not 16G) ScanDisk I thought I would never reuse as it came from a Cannon digital camera from 2000. All the APF ROM from the latest Game.zip use less than half the space.

Edited by thetick1

Tried a few SD cards and even MMC card. When I select SD card browser, it shows loading for a few seconds, then right back to main menu with no games shown.

I used the formatter program to reformat the card properly (tried WIndows format as well), I put all the games in Game folder, checked and made sure the games are in Xxxx.bin format as described in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

I just can't get the game list to load. Do I have a lemon? Cards used:

• Sandisk 32MB MMC (yeah not SD but most SD cards are treated as MMC anyway)
  • Kingston 128MB SD
  • Lexar 512MB SD
  • PNY 1GB SD (works fine in Harmony)
  • Lexar 4GB (originally from Nintendo 3DS)
  • Transcend 32GB C10
  • PNY 200GB UHS-3 (way overkill but had to check anyway)

Second, third & fourth cards should work if formatted FAT32 and the Game folder is in the root directory on the card. Have you had any luck since your post?

Yes. I used SD formatter and got 512MB to work. I downloaded the game folder posted elsewhere since I'm too lazy to properly rename all files with proper cap or unzip 400 files. :D

FYI - I did just release an updated ROM pack with 1001 working ROMs, properly name game titles and pre-sorted alphabetically. Go to the link you have in the first post of this thread and download the Game file in the red at that link.

• Like 1

I had the same issue...with a 512mb SD card I am trying to use from an old camera. Have loaded ROM set from above in "Game" folder, but when I click on SD Card, it says "loading" briefly and just returns to menu.

-Tried reformatting in FAT32 via windows 10 formatter and adding "Game" folder above, no luck

-Tried the Kingston 8GB SDHC from my Harmony Cart, same thing...loading and then back to menu

THEN:

-Downloaded suggested "SD Card Formatter" Program but there was no input to adjust so it formatted automatically in Fat 16, added Game folder and magically this worked, all 1000 plus games became visible.

Shouldn't FAT16 not work?

EDIT: Welp...couldn't get my Reindeer Rescue or Toyshop Trouble ROMs working, was in the mood for some festive gaming. Luckily this 1000+ game file is amazing, with many great homebrews (Many of which I own carts of from the AA Store.) Good work Arenafoot!!

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 2

EDIT: Welp...couldn't get my Reindeer Rescue or Toyshop Trouble ROMs working, was in the mood for some festive gaming. Luckily this 1000+ game file is amazing, with many great homebrews (Many of which I own carts of from the AA Store.) Good work Arenafoot!!

Your welcome! Enjoy!

I am using a 512MB Sandisk SD card

i remember when you had to use a tiny even outdated at the time card like that to hack a Wii back around 10 years ago. I had to pull the card out of an old camera my mom borrowed from my grandpa, because all of the cards I had (mainly mean for DS flashcarts when I got them) were too darn big...

I tried:

256MB Kingston SD card - no luck

2 16gb MicroSDHC cards - no luck

4gb MicroSDHC card - worked

go figure

Cheap products have varying degrees of quality. This not a knock on AtGames or the SD card vendor it's just the state of cheap elections nowadays. This is for any modern electronics especially from China or Taiwan.

Edited by thetick1

• 6 months later...

Alright peeps?

I love my 2016 portable but was always messing about taking it in and out of the car/my bag and hooking it up to my little LG TV to find it's flat or can't find my TV wire etc. (1st world problems eh? I just can't get the right brand of caviar either LOL)

I thought I should get a second one, not even realising there was a 2017 model with 10 more games. So I got it. I leave the 2016 plugged in to the TV and the 2017 as my actual portable :-)

I had a Sandisk micro SD with SD adapter working fine on 2016. It was also fine on the 2017 so I needed to get one more SD card so I have 1000 games on both Flashbacks. This time I struggled to find a card under 8GB for cheap. So I found a 2GB Transcend microSD with adapter. Formatted it, put the new (new to Me!) 1001 bin folder on there and stuck it in the 2017. No luck at all. I actually downloaded the new V5 of the SD formatting utility, tried again, still SD browser does not get to the games list.

Now for the madness, I tried the new 2GB transcend in the 2016 AFBP and it worked first time! Swapped it back to 2017, nothing....

So I just put the new 1001 bin folder on my Sandisk SD, put it in the 2017 and all is OK!

It seems almost random as to whether one card/adapter will work or not. I guess as someone said above, cheap is not best eh?

At least it will work with perseverance, keep trying different cards etc

I'd like to say thanks to all the Atarians that contribute to this wonderful community but especially for whoever is responsible for Asses of Fire! (which I've only just seen in the new 1001 package!).

I'd like to say thanks to all the Atarians that contribute to this wonderful community but especially for whoever is responsible for Asses of Fire! (which I've only just seen in the new 1001 package!).

LOL! Thanks for the shout out!

BTW "Asses" can be found here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/121915-terrance-phillip/

2008 from Aegis Games (Chris Read) - only 20 carts made

plus its featured in volume 1 of my book "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion: Volume 1" on Amazon! https://amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Thanks again!

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I found mine in the trash and i was pretty excited to use it since it still worked and the screen had the protector still on it so it wasnt damaged. I got one of my Panasonic 2gb memory card and i put pacman to play and no luck, i even did the fat32 format and it doesnt seem to work, just gives me loading screen than sends me to the menu screen

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...