IGNORED

Wii U Games To Be Ported To The Switch

Oldschool80skid

It's too bad they're not taking the opportunity to include Donkey Kong Country Returns.

A HD remaster with the extra levels of the 3DS conversion and motion controls excised from the game on the same cartridge with Tropical Freeze, would've made it worthy of double dipping. Instead I'll probably just cross my fingers that these HD GCN/Wii ports cross over to the Switch (Which seems likely), and consider downloading it if the price is right.

Switch is nearing having ports of all the big Wii U exclusives now. I hope Super Mario 3D World gets its chance once Odyssey has been on the market for a while. Revisionist history from people that didn't own a Wii U and didn't play SM3DW is diminishing its reputation, with people acting like Odyssey is a return to form for a major 3D Mario platform after a disappointing Wii U release.

I don't really care since I've already played it and loved it (As did seemingly everyone else that bought it), but a lot of people missed out on a great game thanks to the Wii U's limited install base.

Edited by Atariboy

Switch is nearing having ports of all the big Wii U exclusives now. I hope Super Mario 3D World gets its chance once Odyssey has been on the market for a while. Revisionist history from people that didn't own a Wii U and didn't play SM3DW is diminishing its reputation, with people acting like Odyssey is a return to form for a major 3D Mario platform after a disappointing Wii U release.

I have been noticing a trend in this line of thinking recently in regards to Super Mario 3D World. I can think of few games from that generation that made me smile more while playing than that game did. I don't know if it's simply people talking that haven't really played it, but it's an excellent game that needs to be experienced by people that enjoy the series.

• Like 1

Revisionist history?

Super Mario 3D World was a nice game, but revisionist I don't see it. It's good, great, but not as good as Odyssey was. I think the mechanics, camera and control in the Switch game are better and enjoyed the new designs more too. Not to say that the other game is not good because it is, but time will likely diminish it as being less nice, kind of like how Sunshine gets ripped on.

Truth told with the time when I had the Wii U up into 2014 when I sold it, the stuff in 2013 back I was gifted or bought there were some solid games I would totally buy again. The only NSMB game I felt wasn't boring cookie cutter Mario graphics of mediocrity was that Wii U game NSMB U -- it felt like a real sequel right down to the jump physics and mechanics of it all to Super Mario World. I couldn't get enough of that one unlike any other NSMB game and happily finished that (which I can't say for NSMB2 or the Wii snooze fest.)

SM3D World was fantastic, finished it too and I'd snap it up again to play on the Switch and same with the DK Tropical Freeze which was my last game (gifted for christmas). I never got Pikmin 3 so that would be fresh if they did it, and I never had Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, Xenoblade X or Starfox Zero and I'd be very curious about those too.

One thing to note about Super Mario Maker for 3DS: It's lacking some of the features that the Wii U version had, such as amiibo support... and the ability to upload levels online. So I could see a Switch version being feasible.

I've also heard that Monolith Software's president has stated he wants to see Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch.

• 1 month later...

The list so far:

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Pokken Tournament DX
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Resident Evil Revelations

What am I missing?

Keeping my hopes up for Super Mario 3D world and Star Fox

Well.....you could play every home console Zelda game ever on the Wii U, between VC, HD released, and Wii backward compatibility.

I can bet you they will port a fair share of those to the Switch.

Right? That's certainly my hope. I love Wind Waker, but never had a Wii U so no HD edition for me sadly.

If one includes the 3DS, several more previously exclusive Wii U releases have been ported and released elsewhere.

As for Wind Waker HD, with Twilight Princess included in the initial slate of HD rendered GCN/Wii downloads for the Nvidia Shield over in China, I suspect that might be the form that both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess take if they ever appear on the Switch. Both systems utilize the same type of Nvidia Tegra hardware, so it seems like a natural that Nintendo will leverage this on the Switch eventually.

Of course, I'd rather see both HD remasters be ported forward along with the addition of Skyward Sword since it would make for a nice collection for several reasons. But this other route isn't so bad if it comes to pass, although I suspect they'd be digital downloads instead of physical releases. Just look at all the beautiful Wind Waker screenshots out there from the Dolphin emulator.

Other than the revamped lighting model (Which personally I didn't like as much as the original), Dolphin screenshots of the GameCube original look every bit as nice as Wind Waker HD does to me. Homebrewers even successfully force 16:9 in Wind Waker on that emulator, although I imagine Nintendo would keep it 4:3.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Of course, I'd rather see both HD remasters be ported forward along with the addition of Skyward Sword since it would make for a nice collection for several reasons. But this other route isn't so bad if it comes to pass, although I suspect they'd be digital downloads instead of physical releases. Just look at all the beautiful Wind Waker screenshots out there from the Dolphin emulator.

Other than the revamped lighting model (Which personally I didn't like as much as the original), Dolphin screenshots of the GameCube original look every bit as nice as Wind Waker HD does to me. Homebrewers even successfully force 16:9 in Wind Waker on that emulator, although I imagine Nintendo would keep it 4:3.

I totally agree with this. The GC to HDMI external (or internal) mod brings a Dolphin level of quality to your home TV with original media and it's fantastic. I felt as well that the original WW had the better look, and the tweaks other than removing the impatience barrier around sailing with the fast sail really wasn't the better version. Between the potential of the GC stuff hitting the Switch and the 3DS scooping up a few too there's not much of a loss here with the WiiU with Nintendo controlled titles.

Just a heads up to anybody interested, Bayonetta 1 & 2 collection only has Bayonetta 2 on the actual Switch cart.

Bayonetta 1 is a digital download with a code AND there's a chance your code won't work... I bought mine from Amazon, and I had to call Nintendo to get a new code.

It's a known issue, but it's something I wanted to give a heads up to anybody purchasing it! Going to post this here and on the "Upcoming physical releases" thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch Captain Toad Treasure Tracker from the exclusives list. Just got announced for the Switch and 3DS, with some extra levels inspired by Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm very conflicted by this. I highly reccomend Captain Toad, and would be tempted by extra levels. However, I don't really want to play through the game all over again just to get to the new stuff.

If Nintendo really wants a lot of the holdouts to finally get a Switch they'll port Melee from the Gamecube. Ideally, they'll also make a Gamecube controller for this, too. Apart from the Rogue Squadron games Melee is the single big reason why a lot of people I know, including myself, are still regularly using their Gamecubes. 15 years I've had it hooked up to the TVs I've used, while the Wii almost never is, I skipped the Wii-U, and have yet to get a Switch.

Was thinking about what other 1st party Wii U games we might see come to the Switch, and made a list. Those in bold are available or already announced for the Switch, while those in italics have appeared on the 3DS. Excluded are digital exclusives, Japanese exclusives, and 3rd party games from companies like Capcom that Nintendo only published in select regions.

• Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
  • Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Devil's Third
  • Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  • Game & Wario
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • LEGO City Undercover
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Mario Party 10
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  • NES Remix Pack
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash
  • Pikmin 3
  • SiNG Party
  • Splatoon
  • Star Fox Zero/Star Fox Guard
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Wii Fit U
  • Wii Sports Club
  • Wonderful 101
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Yoshi's Woolly World
I imagine the top bets for Switch conversions are Paper Mario: Color Splash, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.
The other big names have either already been ported to the 3DS, or if I were to guess, probably are more likely to receive an original sequel on the Switch instead (Like has happened with Splatoon and the just announced Mario Tennis and Super Smash Brothers sequels).

I suppose the big question mark might be the two Zelda HD remasters. I'm personally betting that the Nvidia Shield in China with emulated GCN/Wii downloads is likely indicative of how they'll appear on the Switch, but I could see both being ported as well in their remastered forms.
Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Was thinking about what other 1st party Wii U games we might see come to the Switch, and made a list. Those in bold are available or already announced for the Switch, while those in italics have appeared on the 3DS. Excluded are digital exclusives, Japanese exclusives, and 3rd party games from companies like Capcom that Nintendo only published in select regions.

• Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
  • Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Devil's Third
  • Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  • Game & Wario
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • LEGO City Undercover
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Mario Party 10
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  • NES Remix Pack
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash
  • Pikmin 3
  • SiNG Party
  • Splatoon
  • Star Fox Zero/Star Fox Guard
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Wii Fit U
  • Wii Sports Club
  • Wonderful 101
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Yoshi's Woolly World

I highlighted in red what I think is most likely to be ported. Many of the other obvious choices I think they are probably just making new games/iterations of.

Wii Sports Club is highlighted but is wishful thinking on my part as I love those games..

Platinum Games loves their rereleases, so I bet they talk Nintendo into giving Wonderful 101 a second chance. And you may be right about Pikmin 3 staying on the shelf, especially since I believe Pikmin 4 has been talked about as in-development for several years now.

I could see New Super Mario Brothers happening on the unfortunate chance that Nintendo has decided that Mario Maker is the way forward for 2d Mario in lieu of a proper Nintendo crafted Mario adventure, and doesn't plan to invest any effort in upcoming entries past making the best level editor that they can. Hopefully Super Mario Maker 2 is the best of both worlds though (I feel it's inevitable given the success of the Wii U original).

An original Nintendo created 2d Mario adventure that's at least as good as any of the NSMB releases (with all the bells and whistles not possible within the constraints of a relatively limited consumer editing program), paired with a good level editor and full online functionality to share user created levels (That hopefully can be strung together this time to create a cohesive fan-made game) to extend the life of the game well past killing Bowser.

Edited by Atariboy

I could see the Super Mario titles, Starfox, Xenoblade(didn't they in some interview mention some desire for this?), New SMB stuff, Mario Party, and maybe Mario Maker.

The rest seem very unlikely or have a sequel in the way already that could block such a thing from happening, or at least for awhile, like the Game & Wario one. No chance on the old olympic games, would be pointless. Nintendoland could see a sequel but that maybe risky other than a download only title. And it's a tough call on the NES Remix package, but I think as a no/low risk download it's possible too.

I'm surprised to see Star Fox mentioned. This one wasn't received so well (A Metacritic average of 69%, for instance) and the odd controls would have to be revamped to make the game work on the Switch. I don't think it's likely that this one will leave the Wii U.

More likely in my eyes would be to see the game engine and a lot of assets recycled for what otherwise is an original Star Fox title, that hopefully returns to the series roots if they can keep Shigeru Miyamoto's hands off it.

Edited by Atariboy

Super Mario 3D world really deserves a port. Not enough people played that game...

4 player co-op!!! I mean Odyssey you can't even really play two player (you can as the hat....yay.)

Odyssey at the end of the day is a better game, but 3D world has it's place and time for sure. It deserves a port just to reach a more widespread audience and for the co-op.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Super Mario 3D world really deserves a port. Not enough people played that game...

4 player co-op!!! I mean Odyssey you can't even really play two player (you can as the hat....yay.)

Odyssey at the end of the day is a better game, but 3D world has it's place and time for sure. It deserves a port just to reach a more widespread audience and for the co-op.

While I own a Wii U as well and 3D World, I would be willing to repurchase it and play through it again on the Switch...and port-ably! This is such a fantastic game and I agree, more people need to be able to play this.

• Like 1

Soooo... semi-OT but not totally... I've heard all sorts of weird things about the Switch's downloads being tied to the console rather than the account, so I'm afraid of what's going to eventually happen to my Bayonetta 1 download. I was one of those people who had to get a new code from Nintendo over the phone. Is my code tied to my console, or my account? Can I re-download it on another Switch if my current one breaks? What if I sell the game, I assume whoever buys it is only going to have Bayonetta 2? (Or will they also be able to call Nintendo and say "my code didn't work" and they'll give him/her another one?)