IGNORED

Atari Jaguar to 5200 Controller Adapter Project

atariguy1021

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm most interested in using a fight stick with my old digital systems. So maybe I COULD one if there were a fight stick for Jaguar. I know I COULD have a fight stick with switchable PCB pad hacks. Would it be easier to pad-hack a Jaguar controller and let that device convert to digital than it would be to manually wire a 5200 controller to actuate for digital games. I'd rather see a PS2-> 5200 pad hack, because PS2 is a popular format for adapters from ToToTek and other companies to convert to other arcade stick standards. But the addition of the keypad is tricky, because it's not one-pin-one-button.

Also the buttons are reversed fro a stick ssuer's perspective> Since the Index finger is on the "main" button c should equal (I don't have enough 2 button 5200 games to know the answer to this but) if there is generally regarded as one of the 2 being the rapid fire button, that one should be on C. B is auxiliary fire, and C is pause, and option and Start are reset and Start respectively.

Speaking of Arcade stick hacking: Is the only difference between a Jaguar Pro controller and a Jaguar standard the extra 5 buttons, and I read that they are just keypad remaps. If that’s true, if I want to make a pad-hacked fight stick adapter to hook up to a db15 connector or something like that, would a Standard Jaguar Pad work where the default for L R Z Y and X are 1 3 4 5 and 6 respectively? Would it be a waste of a Jag Pro Pad to take apart one of those for pad hacking? Would pad hacking a Standard Jag Pad work for that just as well? Or is there something else different about a Jag Pro Pad where there’s performance issues by hacking a standard Jag Pad for arcade sticks?

A bohoki 5200 to PC 15-pin adapter + this 15-pin to PS2/N64 adapter will let you plug in a PS2 gamepad directly - analog and digital. It used to be $35 but now it is $66, probably due to its rising popularity for the 5200 (Do not buy the $13 USB to PS2 one that looks almost the same). You can also use the old PC 15-pin UltraRacer or PlayStation Ultraracer for paddle games. You can also use many of the old 15-pin PC gameport analog only flight sticks and flight yokes with the bohoki adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Use-any-PS2-Dual-Shock-N64-Controller-Pad-on-PC-w-Innovation-Smart-Joy-Emulator/183079004216?hash=item2aa05be838:g:URMAAMXQO21RnmFk

For the analogy 15-pin PC sticks/yokes, try to use ones with less than six buttons and no PC drivers required. There is a thread with info on which PC analog controllers work with the bohoki adapter.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/

Plugging this adapter into the bohoki adapter will allow you to use 2600 (1-button) and SMS controllers (2-button) on the 5200:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Atari-Amstrad-Commodore-9-Pin-Joystick-to-15-Pin-Port-support-Usb-Adapter/272348471848?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A bohoki 5200 to PC 15-pin adapter + this 15-pin to PS2/N64 adapter will let you plug in a PS2 gamepad directly - analog and digital. It used to be $35 but now it is $66, probably due to its rising popularity for the 5200 (Do not buy the $13 USB to PS2 one that looks almost the same). You can also use the old PC 15-pin UltraRacer or PlayStation Ultraracer for paddle games. You can also use many of the old 15-pin PC gameport analog only flight sticks and flight yokes with the bohoki adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Use-any-PS2-Dual-Shock-N64-Controller-Pad-on-PC-w-Innovation-Smart-Joy-Emulator/183079004216?hash=item2aa05be838:g:URMAAMXQO21RnmFk

For the analogy 15-pin PC sticks/yokes, try to use ones with less than six buttons and no PC drivers required. There is a thread with info on which PC analog controllers work with the bohoki adapter.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/

Plugging this adapter into the bohoki adapter will allow you to use 2600 (1-button) and SMS controllers (2-button) on the 5200:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Atari-Amstrad-Commodore-9-Pin-Joystick-to-15-Pin-Port-support-Usb-Adapter/272348471848?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com sells something called an Undamned adapter which goes from USB (including PS3) to DB15 for fight stick purposes. I can go from PS2 to PS3 easily. Now I just need to get fight stick DB-15 to Atari 5200. Does the Bohoki do this? Where can I find a Bohoki? I typed "Bohoki Atari 5200 adapter" on google and bing and found nothing relevant, either information wise, or purchase wise..

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com sells something called an Undamned adapter which goes from USB (including PS3) to DB15 for fight stick purposes. I can go from PS2 to PS3 easily. Now I just need to get fight stick DB-15 to Atari 5200. Does the Bohoki do this? Where can I find a Bohoki? I typed "Bohoki Atari 5200 adapter" on google and bing and found nothing relevant, either information wise, or purchase wise..

They are sold by bohoki, a member of AA. I dont know if he has anymore. He may make more if there is interest.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3821602

• 1 month later...

I've never played a 5200, but how does a dpad translate to analog? Does it work well?

I assume it's mapped in an all or nothing situation, which would be better for about 90% of the games on the 5200: quick motion, quick stopping. That would come in handy if someone pad hacks a Jaguar standard controller for my fight stick for me.

Why couldn't Atari have a 2 controller solution, like a digital controller for 2/4/8 way games and a separate analog controller? They had separate Paddles, Joysticks, Keypads, and rotary controllers (used for only one game, talk about specialty controller) from day one on the 2600, and added a light gun and a track ball. Provide the digital controllers as the baseline, and the analog controllers as an add on.

• Like 1

You will lose your analog with this setup and you may need to make a homemade trim box unless you are lucky.

You will lose your analog with this setup and you may need to make a homemade trim box unless you are lucky.

Losing the analog is the whole point of this. About 90% of the games benefit from an all-or-nothing approach. I know these games would be hindered by a digital stick: Missile Command, Super Breakout, Kaboom, Star Wars, and a couple of others. Galaxian loses a little by lack of analog but is by no means unplayable. Where everything else benefits from a digital control.

I'm thinking of having someone hard wire the potentiometer directly. so than any left press is a set distance to the left.

But here are twin problems. If you set the cardinals at 100%, then the diagonal's radius is 141%, which may either be considered cheating in competitive gaming, or may cause software errors. To counter that, you need to set the cardinals to 70%, so that the diagonals are 100%, but I don't know if any game is too insensitive at 70% cardinals.

To solve this problem, there needs to be made some sort of circuit where N + E does not necessarily equal to NE. The 5200 could use some sort of circuit where cardinals are actuated at 100%, yet if 2 cardinals are activated, then the combination activates the component cardinals at 70% so the diagonal's radius equals 100%. Also a neutral state needs to be at the exact halfway point of X and Y.

It would come in handy for the Intellivision too because there are 16 separate actuators for the 16 separate directions. and on the Intellivision actuating N + E give you crazy errors if the individual north and east are pressed simultaneously. You need to actuate the NE actuator.

The point is I'd use a genuine 5200 controller for the games that need it, (the analog games) and the fight stick for ones better with the digital stick.

Also it seems the lack of self-centering is beneficial with Kaboom, Super Breakout, and Missile Command. I noticed when playing Warlords on the Xbox One compilation that it's hard to "dial a position" like on a 2600 paddle in absolute mode. You're fighting centering resistance.

Hi, has anyone heard from Atariguy1021.

Looks as if he hasn't been on since Dec 19, 2017. I hope he is OK.

If anybody is able to contact him just pass on the message that we hope he and his family are well.

Well, I PM'd him on eBay Feb 18, 2018 and asked if he would be selling more masterplay clones. He said he would be listing more that week, but none were ever listed. That was the last I'd heard.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There's one other issue. (By the way, came on here by clicking link from the Jaguar Re-pro Jag Pro controllers.) I'll repost relevant question in this forum:

a) Will they universally work with every Jaguar controller, so I can hook it up to a naked original PCB for a fight stick as well as a Jag Pad and Jag Pro Pad.

b)I assume it will work in a digital manner actuating 100% cardinal, 100% X + 100% Y diagonal, or neutral, so it would be good for fight sticks.
c) If that’s the case, then a few seemingly digital games will have problems when using diagonals. So using a technology used in hitboxes, maybe there should be an optional external Simultaneous Any Cardinal Direction Scrubber, so that if a game gives errors when you press a diagonal, just plug this in and it will only lock in a perpendicular cardinal when the original cardinal is released. So this locks out everything except Neutral and one cardinal at a time. This device can be independent and have a 5200-> 5200 adapter, so it can be used with Competition Pro Joysticks too which suffer from this problem in like 4 games or less, Popeye, Mountain King, Bounty Bob Strikes Back, and maybe one other game. This technology was originally used to lock out W+E and N+S combinations, whihc was required for hitboxes to be legal, otherwise, dual blocking gave hitboxes an advantage. Test your Jaguar-> 5200 adapter on Popeye and see if pressing diagonal gives you any trouble.

I just read through the guide for the undamned. This is for a Neo-Geo type 15-pin (digital, has a pin for each of 4 directions). You cannot use this on the 5200 unless you get a DB15 analog-to-DB15 digital adapter, since the bohoki adapter and 5200 controller have a single x-axis pin and a single y-axis pin.

I just read through the guide for the undamned. This is for a Neo-Geo type 15-pin (digital, has a pin for each of 4 directions). You cannot use this on the 5200 unless you get a DB15 analog-to-DB15 digital adapter, since the bohoki adapter and 5200 controller have a single x-axis pin and a single y-axis pin.

I wasn't suggesting a Neo Geo DB15 style, I was suggesting wiring it to one wire=one control can be wired into the actuators of a dismantled controller. I'm not planning to plug it into the 5200 directly. The purpose of it was to turn my PS2-style fight stick into a one wire=one function mode, which I can use a telephone operator style adapter which can change the button and joystick functions. Also I'm using the terminal block style where each wire can be hooked up to a DB 25 and adjusted individually.

• 2 months later...

Having the bottom button to the right of top button feels like the right-handed Sega Master System Joystick where on the left-handed pad you can rapid fire the index finger in the 1 button on your index finger, but on right handed mode, button 1 was on the left, which means the rapid fire is on the middle finger, not the index finger. A=Bottom B=Top makes sense on a Sega Genesis controller, but makes no sense to me on Jaguar.

I say C=Bottom, B=Top, A=Pause, Start=Start and Option=Reset

Then again the Y/B formation on an SNES joypad makes no sense to me because you need a double jointed thumb to operate jump and fire on Mega Man X as well as i can a B/A two-finger method, but what do I know?

• 2 months later...