IGNORED

Tile Smashers now available

peteym5

Tile Smashers is my latest Retro Video Game release for the Atari 8-bit computer. This is a combination of Breakout, Pinball, and even a little Pong thrown in there. Have to smash all the tiles on both the upper and lower sections to open up the top to get to the next level. 16 Different Tables, Power Ups, Obstacles, and fast action to challenge you.

Paddles are the default controller, but can be played with joystick, trackball, and 2600 driving controller.

Available on Cartridge from Video61 www.atarisales.com

http://members.tcq.net/video61/whatsnew.html

I created this thread to answer any questions you may have for the game. The game runs on any Atari 8-bit computer, works with either the 400/800 OS to XL/XE. Does not use the RAM under OS or extended RAM. There is no known issues with other hardware modifications, however as usual modifying the Atari is always at the end users risk.

I know there is demand for games to support different controllers, but since Tile Smashers is a paddle game, that is the recommended controller for this game. Joystick and other controllers can be chosen, but you need to be more careful following the ball.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! What happens to the powerups that fall down from the top of the ‘bottom’ table when the action moves to the ‘top’? Does action on the ‘bottom’ freeze?

The power ups sprites stay at the same screen position when the whole back ground is shifted between the top and bottom. This is to give you a chance to collect the power up.

I understand this game has been selling well for December since its release, something to my surprise. Surround'EM was add as an extra game.

What happened around November 2016, I was working on some PC game stuff, which probably take me a year to complete and put up online for pay-per-download. I decided to jump back and complete thse remaining 16K Atari games, send them to Video61 and see what happens. We still have Heli-Commander and Putt 18 Minigolf to release sometime in 2018. I actually want to go back to just doing one game per year fro the Atari 8-bit, be focus on making it into making games great. Some games needing 64K or 128K cartridges. I have Jungle Quest and a new Secretum Labyrinth in the works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice videos Pete; looks like a good game :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did I notice that as well as the various angles from the bat you can also move the ball after hitting it? Is this a collected feature or part of the normal controls?

It is the "G" power up that lets you Guide the ball as it is going up, but is disabled coming down because the ball will always be moving the the paddle. Has the "T" power up which is the Tile Smasher power up. "P" for Points, etc. Avoid the "E" ones, you get electrocuted and freezes your paddle. Do not worry, we put power dampeners our original 16K cartridges so nothing effects the Atari computers or extra current comes up the controller cable.

This is one of the games also being ported to the 5200 and 7800. 7800 I can more multi-colored graphic effects going on.

Edited by peteym5

Here is something that Video 61 made up showing some of the later stages of the game. A 5200 version has been completed also, we are just waiting on the cartridge boards.

The reasons why we squeezed some games to fit onto a 16K ROM and use the lower 16K RAM was not just for the Atari 8-bit. In the entire history of doing this, only had one person trying to run the 16K Venture on a 16K machine and it did not work, this version deflates into a large portion of the 32K lower RAM. These are cheaper to make and for us to keep the price at $39.95. The primary reason was the ability to port to the 5200.

• Like 1

What actually happened someone partially programmed a similar game many years ago, and I believe the story was he lost the source code for it and left the Atari scene. Lance told me about the concept after several of us were looking to do several Breakout style games. I wanted to do something like WinBrick on the Atari with all the power ups, bombs, and strange objects coming at you. Someone else wanted to do a multiplayer thing with paddles each side of the screen. Then he suggested this Breakout/Pinball combination concept that had been floating around for years. We kept an airtight lid on this game until it started being sold.

I did do the programming, graphics, color schemes. Other people did help with the design and layout of some of the stages. Multi-Controller options were my ideals after I seen people making requests for Asteroids and Tempest games to support Indy 500 Controllers. So I say from now on, why not make some of these games support different controllers when possible. Of course some games need to be joystick or keyboard only because you need to move in all directions.

• Like 1

looks better, it almost sounds like lance came up with all of the ideas all on his own and petey is just a really good programmer to carry out his ideas...

actually its a game i designed many years ago. never got around to it till peter joined up with us. i always wanted a scrolling pinball game on the atari 8-bit.

when i saw atari pick davids midnight magic, when the NES had its own pinball game that put the old stuff to shame, i thought i could come up with something better than davids midnight magic to compete.

i have had so many projects over the years, that we finally got to tile smashers, and peters fine programming to boot produced a nice game, with artisan21 doing the artwork, more to come in the future.

the game peter is describing is actually a warlord game i had the source to. it was abandoned many years ago. some one else programmed a a clone a few years back, castle crisis i think the name is. nice game BTW.

lance

www.atarisales.com

looks better, it almost sounds like lance came up with all of the ideas all on his own and petey is just a really good programmer to carry out his ideas...

oh, sorry, i also forgot to add that peter did more than just program a fine game, he added the bar that goes across the top of the bottom of the stage, it does add to the game play. peter also added the powerups, and they were good choices. over all. its a good game that the whole team contributed to.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thankyou AtariAge community. Tile Smashers has become the #1 top selling recent game made by us. I hope many do enjoy this fun filled challenging game. Several people made requests for games that support the Paddle Controller, Tile Smashers by default, lets you play with the Paddle Controller, and you do have the option of using the joystick, trackball, and driving controller. I plan on adapting more games to use different controllers in the future. Anybody able to play a trackball or driving controller game with the ST Mouse?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Nice one folks.....Didn't look to see but a very tiny stripped demo version (a level or two depending on the type / speed of the game) would really help the undecided..

You have done it in the past but really strip it out so there's no point in trying to hack anything out of it as its simply not in the file..You can't play a full game with very limited map data :)