IGNORED

Fake retro console in Jumanji movie?

S1500

I appreciate that they designed a mock-up monstrosity to genericize the console concept and I get that in doing so they had to take some liberties for the sake of the movie/screen/story, but a giant glowing light on the top of the console is really a step too far. Hopefully there's a very good plot reason for something so obviously distracting that would never be in a real-world design.

But how else are you going to know if you have a phone message?

post-2410-0-46477100-1513288966_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Based on the trailer, the players are sucked into the game. I don't know if the orb is what sucks them in or the plastic frame of the console itself, but if I would design video game consoles capable of sucking the player into the game, I would probably aim for an orb or something else that has a bit of leverage and 360 degree field of operation.

And yes, there are at least two slightly different trailers for the movie that combined tell a bit of the story. It doesn't look totally crap, and ...

interesting that they swapped the teenagers and video game characters around so scrawny boy turns into muscle guy, athletic boy turns into average guy, shy girl turns into sexy athletic woman and sexually teasing girl turns into overweight middle age guy.

• Like 2

I can guess there could have been licensing issues with having a real console maybe... but why not just have a strange cartridge for a known system? I mean, the video in the movie The Ring didn't have to have some creepy special VCR or anything, it was the video itself that was cursed. There was a creepy pasta about something like this... a Zelda cart with a weird game save or something...

Because game nerds would be like, "that onscreen game has the wrong color palette, System Y could never do such a thing" and so on. Nobody needs that. It can just be the Super GameStation II for the purposes of plot.

Real licensed tech just looks stupid by the time a film comes to home video. All those Sony mobile things in Brosnan-era 007 have aged terribly.

• Like 2

I appreciate that they designed a mock-up monstrosity to genericize the console concept and I get that in doing so they had to take some liberties for the sake of the movie/screen/story, but a giant glowing light on the top of the console is really a step too far. Hopefully there's a very good plot reason for something so obviously distracting that would never be in a real-world design.

lol, I think being sucked into a Jungle filled with danger under supernatural circumstances probably explains the light. :lol:

• Like 1

The reason it is woodgrain is because that is the same look as the original wooden Jumanji game board and the reason it looks like an unknown console of an unknown time but clearly old is because that is what the original Jumanji game board looked like. In other words, it is suppose to look like this mysterious one of a kind old game just like the original Jumanji.

Anyway, I think the controllers looking like they have PlayStation connectors that plug down like a cartridge is a good design to prevent accidentally pulling out the controllers. On the other hand, I also think how they connect on an actual PlayStation is also a good design to prevent pulling down a console when tripping over a wire.

• Like 1

I don't know about the controller plug orientation being a good idea... too easy for something to fall down into a socket and possibly mess something up. Same idea as an electrical socket... can't be upward facing (like on a countertop) unless there's some kind of protective cover or its a popup. Of course, that's more for prevention of shorts, shocks, and fires... Now if they are hard wired, it doesn't really matter.

This was obviously designed by Mike Kennedy.
It has 4 SNES controller ports on a Magical Game Console!
Also, It's a Blue Light Special edition for the resurgent K-Mart brand Mike is investing in.

Ah, thanks. That's a different trailer than the one I had seen. Definitely a cartridge, and definitely an 80's looking machine.

attachicon.gifjumanji console.png

Saw the film last night, it's a ton of fun, and manages to hold true to both the original movie and an updated version based on a videogame (there's quite a few tropes in there that anyone who's played games will recognise!). AND it's rather like The Breakfast Club in its over-riding plot points, which isn't a bad thing either.

As for the console, the kid featured at the start of the film already owns it, and

when he finds the Jumanji board game (set a year after the end of the first film), it turns itself into a game cartridge that can be plugged into the console. He gets sucked into the game, and presumably the console (and game) were donated to the local school by his greiving father when clearing out his stuff. It's at the school where the four kids in question discover it while in detention, fire the console up and... well, there lies the movie!

• Like 1

I saw the movie today, It's recommended!
The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and the latest hot red head lady Karen Gillan have done a proper update to the classic kids fantasy world formula movie.

I will say that there was a bit of Hocus Pocus in it, the Original Jumanji, and a bit of what Mayhem said above too.

Go see it so Hollywood knows we will watch these instead of just mega action war junk.

Jack Black is hilarious in his role (i won't spoil).

Also... yeah, that console ... I also think of Wonder Wizard when I see it. When it starts up, I was most amused, lol.

Edited by RupanIII
  • Like 1

Saw the movie last night, and it exceeded my expectations (which were admittedly low). It actually uses certain video game concepts in an almost philosophical way, which makes the movie rise one step above just being cheezy/campy. But it's still a popcorn movie that relies more on special effects than acting talent, although the acting talent is certainly there. Jack Black really owns his role in the movie. The guy's hilarious! :D The other main actors do a pretty good job too, within the limited confines of the movie script.

• Like 2

I saw it tonight. Well worth the money, even my movie affecionado friend liked it. Good use of modern gaming concepts without overdoing it or not being believable. Jack Black great, but so were the others too. Quite obvious ending but most movies are like that. See it unless you hate video games (but why are you here then?).

• 2 weeks later...