IGNORED

RGB Modded Intellivision with OSSC

KylJoy

Yeah we both posted in that other thread. I've not had time to put the scope on it.

Intellivision to XRGB2 is fine. To Sony PVM is fine. OSSC does not work.

Most of the time it's because the sync the system puts out is not something the tv can understand. The framemiester corrects the timing before sending it to hdmi but OSSC just sends it through after line doubling

Most of the time it's because the sync the system puts out is not something the tv can understand. The framemiester corrects the timing before sending it to hdmi but OSSC just sends it through after line doubling

XRGB2 does not work that way, nor does Sony PVM. It is an issue with the OSSC.

Below is a picture of my RGB modded Intellivision's sync pulse on my ancient oscilloscope.

First, I set the vertical (volts) to .5 per CM (between the lines) and 0 volts at the bottom line.

Here is a picture of the calibration on the scope:

post-42281-0-56541100-1513209149_thumb.jpg

Then I set the time (horizontal) to 5 uS while looking at sync signal:

post-42281-0-64209500-1513208923_thumb.jpg

I am not an expert on video so please let me know what else it would make sense to look at.

Thanks!

• Like 1

So this is not the same issue that you get with the Master System with OSSC?

Well, my Sega Master System works fine with the OSSC. The left is a standard old school CRT tV and the right is modern LCD connected to the OSSC via HDMI.

post-42281-0-70747100-1513741144_thumb.jpg

Sadly, However my Intellivision does NOT work. :(

Anyone?

Where are you pulling the sync signal from? I'd be happy to check the same signal on my Intellivision to see if there are any differences? I know that isn't what the point of this thread is for but curious all the same.

From the sync line of the RGB modification.

Figured, but was checking in case there was somewhere on the Intelly where you were getting this. Obviously I can't compare anything then since I don't have an RGB modded intellivision.

• 1 month later...

Somebody told me to check if the OSSC does sync on composite video (I'm not sure). If not, then just run the sync through a sync stripper and we should be good to go (I need to investigate that). He also said if you have original gscartsw (I do not) then just flip the sync stripper switch. Hopefully we can get our RGB Intys working with one of these methods or a future firmware update.

I am far from a video expert. What I know is that the RGB mod board I installed has 6 "outputs". These are:

R, G, B, S, V, G

I understood them to be (and could be wrong):

R = Red

G = Green

B = Blue

S = Sync

V = Composite Video

G = Ground

Here is a picture of the board:

post-42281-0-25621100-1517102725.jpg

So, when I first installed the board I used the "V" output for sync and connected it via a properly wired cable to pin 3 (csync) of the xRGBmini input connector. This would never sync. I then tried connecting the "S" output to pin 3 (csync) of the xRGBmini and WALA!... A gorgeous picture appeared on my TV.

So, when I purchased the OSSC I assumed this would function just fine. No luck.

Now, I do not really know where to look. My RGB mod board outputs a sync signal of some sort on the "S" output that works GREAT on the xRGBmini (see images of oscilloscope above). I can definitely try to get better images of that. But I don't know what to look at next or where to find a composite sync output from my RGB mod board to scope out. Anyone know what is supposed to be coming out of the "V" output of this particular mod board? I had hoped it was composite video so I could add that output from the Intellivision as well.

This really seems to be an issue with the OSSC.

Extra credit - Does anyone know why this board says "Intellivision RGB/Composite/S-Vid" at the top? I'd love to get all three of those output formats working. Also, seems an IC was not installed which might be what would provide the S-Video and/or composite video. Any help about this would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd add the IC if it would allow this board to produce those extra output formats.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hey KylJoy, I'm using that same RGB board. I emailed Fred who made the board last year to get clarification on those outputs. They should be:

R, G, B - Red, Blue, Green signals

S - Sync (I believe this is composite sync, but I'm new to this stuff too and I might not be using that term correctly)

V - 3.3V line - some HDMI converters require an "enable" pin to go into RGB mode

G - Ground

I have an RGB monitor that takes H and V sync on two inputs. I connect the S output of this board to both of them and I can get a picture. The board works like that for me, but the colors seem off. Fred claims that the colors are correct, pointed me to a specific palette that he used, etc. But I'm still looking around for another RGB board that I can try.

Hope that helps.

R, G, B - Red, Blue, Green signals

S - Sync (I believe this is composite sync, but I'm new to this stuff too and I might not be using that term correctly)

V - 3.3V line - some HDMI converters require an "enable" pin to go into RGB mode

G - Ground

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I believe it is an isolated composite sync signal. I did NOT know that the "V" output was 3.3v enable for RGB but that does make perfect sense. My other RGB enabled systems do not use the enable signal and they work fine on the OSSC (Genesis, Sega Master System, etc.) and the Framemeister folks have made it known that the xRGBmini no longer requires that signal to be present for RGB to function on the RGB input port (duh... why would it be needed? LOL). But, the OSSC uses the same inputs for different video formats. So, I'll try connecting the enable line and see if it makes a difference even though my other systems did not require it (as far as I know).

Still, I am hopeful that someone can tell me why the sync produced from the "S" output is not sufficient for the OSSC to lock on. I do not know enough about video to understand the issue. I will try later this evening to produce an image of the sync signal under load.

• Like 1

Fred claims that the colors are correct, pointed me to a specific palette that he used, etc. But I'm still looking around for another RGB board that I can try.

Hope that helps.

I have seen discussions about this board producing incorrect colors in the past. I am generally satisfied with the output but I am interested in other RGB solutions, too, since I am always tinkering. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic: what oscilloscope are you guys using? I'm really wanting to buy one soon and am trying to figure out which one to get. I see both Grips03 and KylJoy are using Rigol brand oscilloscopes, any model recommendations, etc?

Edit: BTW, did anybody ever look into the sync stripper?

Slightly off topic: what oscilloscope are you guys using? I'm really wanting to buy one soon and am trying to figure out which one to get. I see both Grips03 and KylJoy are using Rigol brand oscilloscopes, any model recommendations, etc?

Edit: BTW, did anybody ever look into the sync stripper?

We are using composite sync, so sync stripper is not needed.

However just to be sure I tried one and it still did not work.